PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm teaching guitar....

Plank_Spanker
March 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Well, almost........................

A friend of mine's daughter has a real fire in her belly to play guitar. He helped me out immensely on my kitchen remodel in return for me getting his daughter started out on guitar. I told him I would with one big caveat..........I am not an instructor. I will get her started with the basics and make sure she understands the dedication it takes to get started. I will refer her to a good instructor once she gets a good start and before I teach her bad habits.

I'd like her to get a solid background in theory as she progresses and I am not geared up for that...................but at least I can get her out of the starter's gate before I send her to an instructor.

This could be fun.

mainestratman
March 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
This sounds rather familiar.. a classmate of mine just found a video of me playing I'd posted on my Facebook and is now asking me to teach him how to play.

Not sure I want to go down that road though...

Good luck!!

Katastrophe
March 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Well, almost........................

A friend of mine's daughter has a real fire in her belly to play guitar. He helped me out immensely on my kitchen remodel in return for me getting his daughter started out on guitar. I told him I would with one big caveat..........I am not an instructor. I will get her started with the basics and make sure she understands the dedication it takes to get started. I will refer her to a good instructor once she gets a good start and before I teach her bad habits.

I'd like her to get a solid background in theory as she progresses and I am not geared up for that...................but at least I can get her out of the starter's gate before I send her to an instructor.

This could be fun.

All right! There's nothing better than getting a youngster started on the journey...

Planky, don't sell yourself short, man. You've got a ton of gigging experience under your belt, and can pass that on. You can show a concept in theory, then apply the theory to songs that you've played. That makes it fun.

Right off the bat, she will probably ask a question related to theory that you may not know. That's cool, because you can use it to expand your own playing knowledge!

I'll bet that this is going to be a lot of fun... Keep posting about how it goes!

jpfeifer
March 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I was teaching guitar out of my home for a couple of years. It was a great experience. I'd still be doing it but I got too busy with other family duties, etc. so I had to stop teaching, but I'd like to get back into it.

It's very rewarding, but also a lot of work. It's good for your own playing too.

--Jim

Plank_Spanker
March 6th, 2010, 08:32 AM
All right! There's nothing better than getting a youngster started on the journey...

Planky, don't sell yourself short, man. You've got a ton of gigging experience under your belt, and can pass that on. You can show a concept in theory, then apply the theory to songs that you've played. That makes it fun.

Right off the bat, she will probably ask a question related to theory that you may not know. That's cool, because you can use it to expand your own playing knowledge!

I'll bet that this is going to be a lot of fun... Keep posting about how it goes!

Our first lesson is this Wednesday evening, and I have a lesson plan ready with a bunch of stuff I printed off the web for her to take home. I just hope I don't overwhelm her............I'll make it a point that she's allowed to stop the lesson when she gets saturated. I'm also taking weekly lessons and I leave saturated after one hour.....so I know the feeling well.

I think this will be a lot of fun. I'll keep posting as we go.