PDA

View Full Version : The new Egnater Tweaker 15 watt amph

Tig
March 7th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Should be available at GC, music123 and MF March 12. $399 US for the head.

Looks like all tube single channel sweetness, with plenty of tone adjustability and even an effects loop. :AOK Exactly what the doctor ordered!

Egnater Tweaker site (http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/Tweaker/TweakerHead.html)

http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/Gallery/Tweaker/images/TweakerHeadFront.jpg

http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/Gallery/Tweaker/images/TweakerHeadonTweaker112X.jpg

* 15 Watts All-Tube
* 2 x 6V6 Power Tubes
* 3 x 12AX7 Pre-amp Tubes
* Master Volume, Gain and 3-Band EQ
* Modern/Vintage Amp Voicing Switch
* Buffered Effects Loop
* Selectable AC, British and American Tone Controls
* Clean/Hot Gain Selector
* Tight & Bright Voicing Switches

piebaldpython
March 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Knees are trembling and weak. The room is spinning around. :drool

marnold
March 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Very cool--that's a nice price too.

MAXIFUNK
March 7th, 2010, 02:48 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM. very nice and a great price.

Tig
March 8th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Existing video demos
-PKwLc8txg0

HdaXJ85Am9w

MAXIFUNK
March 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
The more I see of this the more it sounds like a good B-Day present for myself in OCT.

Radioboy950
March 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Well, doesn't that look like fun.
The lower-watt, "micro" market is a very cool place these days.

Danzego
March 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I've been very interested in this amp and I came dangerously close to ordering one of these yesterday. I've heard Bruce Egnater and his guys refer to this amp as "the Rebel 20's little brother", so I went down to the store to test drive that, since I've never played it before. I played with the 6V6 tube set full on (since that's what the Tweaker has).

Long story short, if the Tweaker sounds anything like the Rebel 20 I played, they can keep it. I don't know why everyone goes on and on about the Rebel 20, but I thought it had no "ooomph" whatsoever. I would imagine that the little bro of this amp would have the same basic characteristics and, well, I didn't find much character there at all.

I guess I'll be sticking with only the Night Train for now. :)

Danzego
March 30th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Ok, this is the part where I get to eat my words. I talked to a dude on another messageboard who got a Tweaker early from Egnater and I started asking him questions, so he posted some vids on Youtube. I liked what I heard, so I hauled my Night Train down to GC on the last day of the return policy and put the credit toward a Tweaker head and cab. It arrived about 9 days ago.

I must say, it sounded good in the vids, but exceeded my expectations in person. The Youtube vids out there do this amp absolutely no justice, even as good as some of them sound. The amp is plenty warm, unlike what I heard with the Rebel. It sounds great at bedroom levels (yes, you can even do up to bedroom level 80's metal, especially well if you hit it with a tubescreamer) and it sounds particularly wonderful when turned up. A very versatile amp and I think they did a rather good job of voicing the characteristics of different amps into this thing.

Seriously, this amp is worth checking out. I went through several amps leading up to this and I feel the Tweaker was made for people like me. Playing a song where the bottom end seems a bit imposing? Hit a switch and tighten that right up. Need some overdrive, but with more of a British flair? Again, hit a switch, and you're there. Wonderful! :happy

Tig
March 31st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hey, sometimes eating words can be rewarding with a bit of butter and some syrup! :pancake
I'm glad you like your Tweaker.

I'm still surprised by what this versatile amp can do. I was worried that is might be a "jack of all trades, master of none", but between the sweet cleans, the warm crunch, and the ripping lead tones, I think it nearly masters the whole spectrum. Certainly close enough for me.

MAXIFUNK
March 31st, 2010, 11:17 AM
You guys are going to make go to GC this weekend and do A/B comparision with the jet city & Peavey C30. I am not in the market now but as a b-day gift for me the tweaker just might work real well.

marnold
March 31st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Allow me to encourage you :) I'd be interested in a comparison between the Jet City and the Tweaker. My guess is that the latter would be better if you were interested in more clean headroom.

Tig
March 31st, 2010, 01:01 PM
You guys are going to make go to GC this weekend and do A/B comparision with the jet city & Peavey C30. I am not in the market now but as a b-day gift for me the tweaker just might work real well.

Print this and take with you to compare the higher gain settings.
I should be ashamed at doing this, 'cause you might just get blown away! :crazyguy

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/92254bb39b5e09225.jpg

MAXIFUNK
March 31st, 2010, 02:38 PM
Print this and take with you to compare the higher gain settings.
I should be ashamed at doing this, 'cause you might just get blown away! :crazyguy

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/92254bb39b5e09225.jpg

I just printed it cool I will try that out! Thanks

Tig
March 31st, 2010, 02:49 PM
I just printed it cool I will try that out! Thanks

They just updated their website. Here's the whole enchilada.
http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/Tweaker/TweakerYourTone.html#Secondary

Tig
March 31st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Some audio clips
http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/Tweaker/TweakerAudioClips.html#Secondary

Blaze
March 31st, 2010, 08:44 PM
SkkGSukvz4c&feature

Danzego
April 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Knowing the tastes of some of the guys 'round these parts, this is another Tweaker vid that will be rather well received. I think it's a fun one to watch and it sounds great. :AOK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx2SdUlNMRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx2SdUlNMRc
(in case embedding it doesn't work)

iohanr
April 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
I just got mine today... $339+tax after 15% off GC coupon! I was only able to play with it for less than one hour (busy day!) but it sounded great as I went through a bunch of settings and flipped through all the switches. I particularly liked the Vox and Marshall overdriven tones. The Fender clean is close but not shimmering clean. The Vox clean is very glassy and I like it better.

I had it driving my Mesa Boogie 4x12 and it is plenty loud for 15W!

I'll put it through its paces some more tomorrow and try some pedals to see if it plays well with them...

I wanted a "lunchbox" amp for lightweight transport for rehearsals (no gigs yet) and this certainly has all the sounds I want at a good price. I tried the Tiny Terror too and it was great but wasn't as versatile and it was more expensive...

Danzego
April 3rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
I just got mine today... $339+tax after 15% off GC coupon! I was only able to play with it for less than one hour (busy day!) but it sounded great as I went through a bunch of settings and flipped through all the switches. I particularly liked the Vox and Marshall overdriven tones. The Fender clean is close but not shimmering clean. The Vox clean is very glassy and I like it better.

I had it driving my Mesa Boogie 4x12 and it is plenty loud for 15W!

I'll put it through its paces some more tomorrow and try some pedals to see if it plays well with them...

I wanted a "lunchbox" amp for lightweight transport for rehearsals (no gigs yet) and this certainly has all the sounds I want at a good price. I tried the Tiny Terror too and it was great but wasn't as versatile and it was more expensive...

I don't know how you set up your clean sounds, but I found the best shimmering clean tones when you crank that master and kill the gain, then bring the gain up to playing volume.

I think the US setting sounds less like a Fender than the AC and Brit settings sound like their respective amp categories. The US voicing does sound great, but I think it may take a speaker more common to actual Fenders to get you closer. On the other hand, I think I'm going to eventually pick up a small Fender for that sort of thing (perhaps a Super Champ XD, which has the nice, non-modeled clean channel).

As for pedals, what I've tried sounded great with it. So far, I've run a Delta Labs Chorus and Boss DD-2 through the loop and a TS9 tubescreamer in front and they all sounded sweet! :happy

Katastrophe
April 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Congrats, guys! I was just on the Egnater website, and I saw sections for two new models: "Vengeance" and "Armageddon". I shall now drool in anticipation.

Tig
April 3rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Yes, the Vox clean is super glassy and sounds better than the Fender setting to me as well. Sometimes I just play clean for an hour + because it is so enjoyable. I need to play with the Brit/Marshal setting more. I like that the various voicing switches are quite functional.

Before the amp was released, I happened to have one in my GC online basket. They sent an email coupon to knock 5% off, and the next day, the 15% weekend sale code showed up as well. I was happy that they honored both!

The more I play this amp, the more I like it. I expected it to be good, but not this good. :happy Egnater has a real winner, and at a great price.

FrankenFretter
April 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
BC Don, NW Basser and I tried one out at the Seattle Guitar Center. They didn't have a Jet City to A/B it with, but that Tweaker is one damn sweet amph. I was very tempted to throw down money I didn't have for that one.

Danzego
April 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
BC Don, NW Basser and I tried one out at the Seattle Guitar Center. They didn't have a Jet City to A/B it with, but that Tweaker is one damn sweet amph. I was very tempted to throw down money I didn't have for that one.

I tried a Jet City before, but I wasn't particularly impressed with it. I was extremely interested in getting one and when I saw that they had one in at GC (finally, after months of waiting), I was ready to walk out the door with it. However, I hooked it up and proceeded to be underwhelmed. It just didn't have the "ooomph" that the Tweaker has.

So yeah, I didn't get to A/B them, but I do know that after a while with the Jet City, I didn't buy it, but within moments of playing the Tweaker, I was so happy that I chose to buy it (I ordered it online based on vids I saw of it, so I was taking a chance but was still highly skeptical; it walked the walk and talked the talk, so to speak). :)

bcdon
April 5th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, the Tweaker sounded very nice indeed. I really like my Jet City but wouldn't mind having one of these as well. Maybe Sean will get one and I'll borrow it. ;-)

MAXIFUNK
April 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I am leaving work now and heading straight to GC to test drive the
Tweaker, Jet City, Classic30, maybe even the Bugrea!!!!

My thoughts will be posted later.

MAXIFUNK
April 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I am leaving work now and heading straight to GC to test drive the
Tweaker, Jet City, Classic30, maybe even the Bugrea!!!!

My thoughts will be posted later.

What a bummer GC had neither the Tweaker or the Jet city in stock to test drive a major let down.

NWBasser
April 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM
While Don and Sean were twiddling the knobs and switches on the Tweaker, I was playing an Epi Paul through it. A damn fine tone!

Or, really, a lot of dang fine tones.

Running a Tele through it wasn't as rewarding as the LP, but that's my general taste anyway (LPs) and I think Tele's are best when paired with nice clean Fender amph.

I think that the Egnator be my next guitar amph!

I was totally impressed with the Jet City, but the Tweaker has something going on that just sounds soooo good!:dude

Tig
April 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I think that the Egnator be my next guitar amph!

I was totally impressed with the Jet City, but the Tweaker has something going on that just sounds soooo good!:dude

The GAS is spreading... Beware!

idHDB0KcNlI

FrankenFretter
April 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
The GAS is spreading... Beware!

idHDB0KcNlI

:rollover