PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Metal Squier '51?

Bigbear
November 21st, 2005, 03:17 PM
I'm intrigued with turning my squier '51 from a blues blaster to a metal machine.

Any body got any ideas, i wanta keep the money low so i'm thinking GFS... can a TELE bridge pickup fit in the lead without having to modify the pickguard. Just bouncing idea... bounce some back

I think the basswood body will make a good all around metal guitar when applied with the proper electronics.

Maybe a quad rails in the bridge position... 2 stacked single coils epoxy together maybe.

Katastrophe
November 22nd, 2005, 09:42 AM
I don't own a '51, but I don't think you can go wrong with an Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge position for metal playing, IMHO. I have one in the Ibanez, and the pickup just screams... Downside? It ain't all that great for any kind of clean playing, but that's what a pickup selector switch is for!;) Also, without a noise gate, feedback WILL get crazy at higher volumes (when not playing), but I kinda like having all those harmonics and overtones to control...

Bigbear
November 22nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Invaders are super sweet but sometimes a mix of unique style and cheaper electronics can make a very special tone... alas the '51

tremoloman
November 25th, 2005, 12:37 AM
All you would need is a good distortion pedal... I get great metal tones out of mine easily with my "DOD Death Metal" pedal. I don't play "death" metal, but like to do some Maiden and Megadeth tunes in my band. :)