PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Canucks... 'fess up! (Godin brands content)

Katastrophe
March 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM
At the local GAS station yesterday, as my wife was at Hobby Lobby, and I had no desire to go.

Remembering that Commodore64 had a trade pending for a Godin Redline, and seeing one on the wall, I tried 'er out. Great guitar.

Tried out a Seagull acoustic. Beautiful, warm tones. Sounded like it had much more potential than my meager abilities would allow.

I also played an LG series with EMGs, a bolty mahogany neck and a 24.75" scale. The guitar was string through, with a brass sustain block in back.

Playing through a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50, I was able to hold notes a loooooooooong time. It was cool! I'm becoming hooked on EMGs now.

So, I looked up prices on MF. Not too bad, but still out of my range for a while. Looking at the Godin website, they said that their guitars are made in Canada and in New Hampshire, USA.

Question is, how do they do it so (relatively) cheaply? Canada and US guitars starting at $497? For such good quality? I know we've discussed Godins before, but wow!

Commodore 64
March 9th, 2010, 10:15 AM
My Redline is a very nice instrument. I'm not a huge fan of the 24.75 scale for some reason, I haev meager skills, but I just could not make friends with my MK Patriot Q, even though, like the Godin, it is a very, very nice guitar.

I'm still on the fence about my Godin. If you are jonesin' for one, and have stuff to trade...well, let me know.

I watched a How It's Made episode, and they featured Godin guitars, the electrics. It was pretty impressive. As to how they do it at the price? I don't know. I do know that resale of them is tough. If it dont' say Fender or Gibson, the used market generally is tough. Someone laughed at me yesterday when I offered the Godin for his MiM tele...saying he wanted Shecter quality or better.

rylanmartin
March 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I know a lot of the Canadian companies have agreements with national parks to go in and salvage fallen trees. So occasionally you can come across a guitar with crazy old and cool wood. That might be something that influences the price.

I could be lying though...this is just something I heard.

Katastrophe
March 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Oh, I have revolving door GAS... There are about six different guitars and about two or three types of amps that I'm GASsing for at any one time.

It's fun for me to try all out that I can, and settle on one that sets my hair on fire. It does take a long time to make the decision though. Then there's the whole process of saving up money and looking for a good deal, which can be fun, too!

I'd trade ya for the Redline, but I don't have anything to trade at the moment. I'm down to the three guitars I'll never get rid of, having sold my amp and Charvel recently. I don't have any working effects pedals at the moment, either.

Katastrophe
March 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I know a lot of the Canadian companies have agreements with national parks to go in and salvage fallen trees. So occasionally you can come across a guitar with crazy old and cool wood. That might be something that influences the price.

I could be lying though...this is just something I heard.

If it's true, then that is a great practice, and certainly inventive.

kiteman
March 11th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Godin is made in Canada and assembled in USA. I almost bought a Godin Exit 22 but got a Carvin Bolt kit instead. I didn't regret it. :)