PDA

View Full Version : Squier 50th anniversary strat ´57 RI

philfletcher
March 9th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I´ve just got hold of a ´96 squier strat, which I´m selling for a friend. It has the black SQUIER logo and Strat, 8 hole pickguard (hence the ´57) and rosewood fret board. I know from the serial number it was made in taiwan in ´96 (YN6) and it has a gold 50th anniversary decal on the back of the headstock.
Does anyone know anything about these guitars as I can¨t seem to find much out? Some sites say the body is alder, others agathis. This is a really nice original guitar and to be honest I´m going to keep it for myself. My main guitar is an ´86 Fender Strat ´57 RI made in Japan and this Squier is ever bit as good.
Any info would be very welcome .... thanks.

Commodore 64
March 9th, 2010, 10:34 AM
That's what Affinity strats were like in the beginning...around 1995. Chinese, alder, full size, single ply 8-hole guard, 22 frets, full width nut. The kind we know today (thinner, smaller, 21 frets, narrow nut) didn't come along till 98 or 99.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1457095

philfletcher
March 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for that, it sounds right, it has got 22 frets and the body is quite heavy compared to a lot of Squiers I´ve held.

Commodore 64
March 9th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I was recently doing some research on a '94 top loader Tele that I have, a Squier Series, made in Mexico. I thought there was some info about '96s, but that was all I could find looking through my browser history.

philfletcher
March 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I was recently doing some research on a '94 top loader Tele that I have, a Squier Series, made in Mexico. I thought there was some info about '96s, but that was all I could find looking through my browser history.
Thanks anyway it was really helpful, at least I know it´s an Affinity and what wood it is. I think most Fender/Squier guitars made in ´96 have the decal on the back so it isn´t a special edition.