PDA

View Full Version : A rant (church band content)

Brian Krashpad
March 9th, 2010, 08:15 PM
In the past, I've occasionally noted the ongoing problems our praise band has had at my (Lutheran) church. These problems stem from both physical limitations in our worship space and from people in our church who seem openly antagonistic to having any sort of modern worship there. At the outset, I should note that our church has two services. One is ALL traditional: stand up, sit down, strictly liturgical service, minor key organ dirges, etc. The service we play at is a supposedly "blended" one-- meaning the praise band plays all of 3 or 4 songs, but the choir often sings too, and the organ does some hymns.

This is an update on where we're at. I'm pretty ticked off, so consider the source.

For a long time we played up in the front of the church. The space was insufficient, but we crowded together. People had to sort of scootch past us coming back from Communion because some of us were literally in what was used as an aisle. Because we had a drum kit right up near the altar, people complained that it wasn't quiet enough to hear the words of institution during Communion (which frankly I find highly doubtful), so we adopted a rule of no full kit during Communion songs, only congas.

We also cobbled together a sound system for hearing ourselves, mainly using my gear, since the house PA was basically in the back of the church, and the existing monitors were really bad. I went through 2 small amps (which I bought myself) before I found a small (1x10) Super Champ XD that was perfect for what was needed for lead guitar. Over the course of a half year or so we fine tuned the sound so it was at a good level that people wouldn't complain about, with a good mix. Also, we scrapped the idea of doing small revolving teams of only 2 or 3 musicians since we all volunteered to play every Sunday, in order to have the optimal sound. My daughter started as a backup bassist, and then went to full-time when our bassist wanted to play acoustic. I taught myself mandolin after buying (again, my nickel) an acoustic-electric mando, and most Sundays I play one song on mandolin and the rest on guitar. And I bought an acoustic-electric guitar for when our acoustic player was absent.

We were still crammed into a too-small space, but we made HUGE progress and were really sounding good, thanks to a LOT of hard work (and frustration) of our band members. Our praise band leader PBL hereinafter) is great, but the church's overall Music Director (MD hereinafter) is an old organist/choir director who simply knows nothing about contemporary music. He would occasionally take it upon himself to turn us down in the PA even though doing so would really screw up our mix, and was always finding something to complain about.

Due to the space limitations in the front of the church, some of the powers that be (not me, for sure) decided to MOVE the entire band to the OPPOSITE end of the church, and put us up in the balcony/choir loft with the choir and organ. The space there is really no bigger than at the front of the church, but at least parishioners wouldn't have to avoid tripping over our gear when returning from Communion to get to their seats.

The church also bought an electronic drum kit so no one could complain about the drum kit volume. After several weeks of work in figuring out how to mix the band in the new location, this last weekend we played with an almost-full compliment (drums, keys, bass, 2 electric guitars, with keyboardist and other guitarist also mic'd for vocals). We were not too loud. In fact, in run-through pre-service, the PBL went down in the sanctuary to check sound levels and had to turn the PA up because he could hear ME singing above everything else-- and I'm not mic'd (for good reason, might I add). The band wears phones, although since I have the little SC XD amp as stage monitor, I have the option of not wearing mine since I can hear myself that way, and can hear everyone else in the mains. Everyone else is lined in to the PA with no stage amps. I use no pedals-- only the 2 channels on the amp and the onboard effects it has, and the amp is lined out to the PA.

So anyhow, we sounded really good Sunday. We did one really rocking song pre-service and 3 less-rocking songs during the service. However, the full choir was also up there. Meaning, until they finished their last song (midway through the service), we in the band all had to stand or literally sit on the floor until they left. No seats were made available to anyone in the band (other than the keyboard played and drummer who were already seated to play).as long as the choir was still up there. Talk about no respect.

The real kicker, though, came on Monday. My PBL messaged me on facebook to say that the MD had COMPLAINED about my amp "taking up too much space." People, this is a 1x10. The MD plays an instrument (pipe organ) that is literally as large as a one-room SCHOOLHOUSE and he complained about a stupid little Super Champ. I am just glad he didn't have the guts to say anything to me in church, because I probably would have thrown him right over the railing.

End of rant. You may now all tell me what a lousy attitude I have. Sorry, but "steamed" doesn't even begin to describe me at this point.

Peace.

Spudman
March 9th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Leave. Go play supper clubs when you turn all the way up to 1. :dude

It sounds like the MD just doesn't like you. If it was me I'd back out for a while and see how things go. It's not a paid gig right? So you wont be missing anything. Let the church organization deal with their issues. It's not for you to solve them or bail them out especially if they don't appreciate your expertise. Maybe there is another Sunday gig you can get where you are appreciated?

mainestratman
March 10th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I used to get yelled at for playing "that rock and roll music" on the piano *after* services, when everyone was having coffee in the social room.

Note to self... Air Supply = Satan Death Metal.

Kazz
March 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Are you a lawyer Krashpad? lmao...all there hereto's and hereinafters give you away :-) It would be things like this, that would make it hard for me to share my music in public....especially in a church setting. I think the MD has it out for you and is going to be a PITA.

guitarhack
March 10th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Since you are a member of the church, why don't you present your case at the appropriate committe or board meeting. Request the presence of all concerned and air everything out just as you have described to us. I would also stress the point of reaching the next generation of church leaders. Then go from there.

sumitomo
March 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Only one good answer to this one Rev Krashpad! Sumi:D

Bloozcat
March 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Oh Brian, I feel for you, man!

We are members of the largest Methodist Church in our area. We have about 1200 members plus many non-member attendees. Church politics can be just as bad as office politics. After serving on our church Administrative Board and on the Board of Trustees, I'd just about had enough of church politics. Same for my wife after she served on the Finance Board. We are still usher/greeter team leaders and serve three months of the year in that capacity with 14 others (when they all show up, but that's another story). Thankfully, there's no politics there (probably because we won't permit it!).

I have been asked several times by members of our praise team to join them, but I know that after having served on the two committees, the same politics exists in the music ministry as well. The good thing about our situation is that we have three services: The 8:00 which is a blended service, the 9:30 which is contemporary (which we attend), and the 11:00 which is traditional. The contemporary service attendence is literally 3-1/2 to 4 times the size of the 8:00, and 2-1/2-3 times that of the 11:00. Soooo, those who looks unfavorably on the contemporary service voice their opinions quietly.

Sounds to me like you need a bigger church sanctuary, Brian. That's probably not feasible due to funancial restraints, but the crowding effect adds another whole level of anxiety to an already stressed situation. As to the ego's of certain individuals, that's a tougher nut to crack. I've found that the only way to keep that in check is if you can get a consensus of opinion amongst the rest of the group, and then confront the individual about the problem. Either way, there will be hurt feelings. At least this way it's only one individual who's feeling might get hurt and it's therefore less likely to affect the larger church body negatively. It's like stopping the problem before it spreads like a cancer.

Now, getting a consensus amongst the like minded who are willing to act...that's a seperate problem. Most people go out of their way to avoid confrontation...even if confrontation is inevitable.

Tig
March 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Musicians and artists throughout time have faced the fact that there will always be some who do not like what they create, their hair, their message, their technique, the volume etc. Throw that into a church environment, and multiply the above times 5, maybe 10!

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Sorry about the frustrations Krashteban, but as you are an edge pusher with your punk back ground, and you are trying to move a conservative group and their leaders in new directions, some of that has to be expected I suppose. Hang in there.

Monkus
March 10th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Well said Blooz...

I just moved back to my hometown the week before Christmas 2009, where I attended Sunday School, was leader of the junior choir, served on the executive of the youth group and served on the local board when I was a teenager. I knew about Presbyterian church politics then and decided it wasn't worth it. Now as I'm back I've been meaning to get involved so I've been attending services and generally just observing. Nothing has changed. I've played for some services, doing traditional hymns and songs in a contemporary style as well as getting creative with vocal arrangements for the same. The congregation at large loves it and whenever I'm playing or involved in the music, there is a larger than ordinary turnout. People remember when I used to play when I was a teen and comment on what a breath of fresh air the "new" music is when its integrated into the service.

I get that the older heads feel threatened, their body language has changed and I've heard off kilter comments through the grapevine. When I was not living in the town I would get calls every week for advice. Sad.

My thing is this, I will choose the way I will serve if I want to. I play for me and the deity I choose. If other people enjoy it so be it. I will do it to the best of my ability and make it interesting. Having said that, I cant expect to be involved and not surf the politics. Surf it I will, but I will not forget why I'm doing it in the first place.

I guess I needed to rant as well :socool

Keep the faith Krash...just by hanging in there we're setting the example...

ok I'm done.

Katastrophe
March 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM
It sounds like several issues are going on here, making it worse than if it was just a space issue, or an MD issue.

It seems to me that from what you described, the only way to remedy the space issue is for the church to move into a bigger building. That's a good thing, because it means the congregation is either steady or, new people are coming in to keep the numbers roughly the same. However, I don't know what the money situation is like with your church, or finding a bigger building is even an option.

The MD has definite problems with contemporary music, based on what you've said. It needs to be addressed, now, with either a private meeting on the side to hash things out, or by meeting with the pastor. Turning down the PA ain't cool, if you sound good and the levels aren't too high. That's petty, and IMO there should be no place for that in a place of worship.

Finally, the MD and the band need to come to agreement on what a 'blended' service with contemporary music is. I have a feeling that the MD is gonna lean more towards the Lawrence Welk version of 'contemporary'. That's cool, but if he won't budge and keep an open mind, then you're just butting your head against a brick wall. Kinda difficult to solve the problem when that happens. At that point, it may be time to make the decision to stay and live with it, or move to another church with a different MD.

It saddens me to read about stuff like this. You'd think that everyone would keep the common goal of worship primary, and not let petty crap get in the way of an upbeat service.

I support ya, Brotha Krash. If any of this was out of line, let me know.

Bloozcat
March 10th, 2010, 11:51 AM
The situation in our church is not unique in terms of the attendance figures for the services. The bigger services in churches accross the board are the contemporary ones. The baby boom generation, many of whom were raised in the church but left when they became adults, found that there was a void in their spiritual lives. They weren't interested in the traditional services of their youth, but were still interested in the message.

In the 70's non-denominational (or non-affiliated) churches began popping up. They appealed to boomers with their straight forward biblical teaching (minus the dogma) and the new music that was being written by people in the boomers own age group (again the term "contemporaries"). The mainstream churches were shrinking as their aging members bagan to die off. They noticed the trend with the non-denominational churches and many began to offer "contemporary" services in their own churches in an attempt to encourage people to come back. But, in offering these contemporary services in a traditional church, two church "cultures" were bound to collide. People are afraid of change, especially older people. Doesn't matter that the message is the same, it's only the way it's delivered that's changed.

So, it's tough to be in a position like Brian's. All he wants to do is worship as he chooses with his music. And all the older, entrenched group wants do do is prevent that from happening. It's challenging to be in that position wihout losing your cool...:cool:

djmcconnell
March 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM
While frustrating, it's refreshing to hear that there are others who experience these kinds of difficulties.

We're in the process of rebuilding our sanctuary to update seating, sound, lighting, etc. in order to enable our traditional and contemporary services to worship in a common space (after 13 years of being in the gym).

We're all too aware that coming together will eliminate some problems and expose some new ones.

The thing I have no patience for is people who try to use scripture or theology to justify their personal preference for musical or worship styles. I just roll my eyes when that happens.

Brian Krashpad
March 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks for all the input and feedback people. I really appreciate it. In the greater scope of things, if I had a better temperament, this would be just a minor annoyance, as indeed that's just what it is. I let things build up and I need to work on that. There's a reason one of the side-bands I'm in is called the Hotheads. The fact that the MD is highly passive-aggressive doesn't help. I don't think he's ever said one word to me, ever. Easier to complain to the PBL and get me ticked off at a distance.

Frankly, I think he's scared of me. He probably considers me some unchurched ruffian who's spent his whole life in bars. Which is kind of hilarious, since I've grown up my whole life in the Lutheran church, and at this point almost the only time I go to bars is when I have a gig or when I need to get some material for my live music column in a quarterly local magazine. Of course him being scared of me may be a good thing, haha. A little black leather jacket goes a long way, especially with a Ph.D. church organist.

I've even tried to be nice to the guy, but it's hard to get past hello. I've said hi with a big smile as I was walking out of church (humping gear, actually) and this fellow just stares through me like I'm not even there and walks past like I don't exist. He's the kind of guy who, without even realizing it, will cross his arms across his chest like he's ticked off at something, yet that's just his natural state. A mean old cuss.

At my prior church I went 10 years without any problems with a succession of praise band leaders and music directors. So I'm pretty sure it's not me. The last thing I want to do is get confrontational in church. I just avoid getting in his way and do what I do as best I can.

But, being flawed, sometimes a good rant helps too.

Thanks again for your comments, thoughts, and prayers. I know other people at other churches go through similar crap, but I tend to have tunnel vision sometimes. At least all the people on the praise team are basically of one mind when it comes to the MD. It's become almost a game amongst us: "Guess who complained about..." It's always Art (the MD), of course.

Commodore 64
March 10th, 2010, 01:11 PM
There's a reason why Art rhymes with Fart.

Brian Krashpad
March 10th, 2010, 01:51 PM
There's a reason why Art rhymes with Fart.

Haha, touche'!

Fart jokes never get old.

vroomery
March 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Having been in similar situations as this in the past, I can completely relate to what you're going through. What it comes down to is the simple problem that all the leaders involved (you,pbl,md,pastor) have a different vision for this service. It's incredibly frustrating to work with people who want to do something different than you. What's really important in order to encourage unity is to focus on the goal.

For those involved, do they want a style of music for the sake of music or do they want a style of music to encourage active participation in worship? For my generation (20 somethings), our musical language is typically that of contemporary worship and it doesn't make much sense to use the worship language of the 1950's to respond to the truth that God has shown us.

If you really want to encourage the congregation to participate in worship then I'm sure there's a way to communicate that to the pastor, MD, and PBL. Just as with all things dealing with the church, if you (team of leaders) focus on God and how best to glorify him, then the rest of these problems will be insignificant and the active participation of the congregation will reflect your focus.

I truly hope that you can arrange a meeting with those leaders and find a way to come together and use your energy to work together instead of working against each other. Church should be a place that is free and open to hearing from God, not a place that brings frustration and difficulty.

sumitomo
March 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I still say go see Rev Krashpad for all your spritual and legal needs! Sumi:D

Bloozcat
March 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hey Brian, we've got this head usher that follows us at the 11:00am service who I call "Mr. Happy". He's an old school usher; white sports coat, red bowtie, thinks it's his church. He complains about everything. The last song of our service elicits a "that's not music" from him and he shuts the doors to the santuary (which I'd just opened in anticipation of the church emptying out).

What I like to do is make sure everything is taken care of for his service. Nice neat stack of bulletins for him. Even number of collection plates on each side of the church. Everything in its place, trash emptied, etc. And whenever there's something I think he needs to know about that's out of the ordinary, I make a point of taking him aside and telling him about it.

It's at the point now where when he walks in he comes right over to me with a smile on his face and shakes my hand like we're old buddies. But...he's smiling, he's not complaining, and the other ushers he works with are happy. :AOK

Brian Krashpad
March 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I still say go see Rev Krashpad for all your spiritual and legal needs! Sumi:D

Haha, dude, I'm just the guitar (and mandolin, and very rarely, banjo) player.

I just want to to show up, play the best I can and not be actively interfered with or second-guessed. I got a ton more work to do on me before I think about spiritually advising others.

drunkinminer
March 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM
One suggestion I would have (that I didn't see) is why not call the MD aside someday and ask her in a nice way what her problem is. And see if there is a reasonable solution that you can both agree on. who knows you might be surprised and she may be willing to work out a solution.

Brian Krashpad
March 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM
An update.

Played Sunday again. For whatever the reason, the MD was actually NICE to me. Towards the start of the service, he had to conduct the handbell choir downstairs, and when he came back up into the loft I gave him a big thumbs-up. So maybe that helped. ;) Also helped that the choir wasn't up there, so we weren't all crammed together with no space, and no place for the band people to sit.

Anyhow, we played 4 songs. I was going to play both of the first ones relatively mellow (as we practiced on Saturday) on clean guitar amp settings, and do the second 2 on mandolin. During pre-service run-throughs, however, the other guitarist remembered that we had done the first one differently previously, and had stuck in some solos to rock it up. So, at the last second, we changed the arrangement to add a verse-long solo and then an outro solo over the final chorus.

Everything went pretty well. I could've done better solos had they not been added at the last second, but the second one was pretty good (missed the cue for the first one for a moment). Played the new (to me) Fender mandolin, and my wife said it sounded really good. This was the first time I'd played the mandolin through the house PA (direct in). The last song was a really great melody and after church I heard people humming/singing it to themselves.

All that said, my wife (who was downstairs in the pews) said that when the third song (the first one with mandolin) came on, a bunch of old people towards the middle of the church all scowled at each other and then turned to give "the look" up towards the choir loft.

Man this can be exasperating.

It's a CLASSICAL instrument, for heaven's sake! I can see people who associate electric guitars with "rock music" and "rock music" with the devil having a hard time with electric guitars (however misinformed I find their opinions) in church, but a MANDOLIN? I need to make clear that I wasn't showboating or soloing or too far up in the mix on those mando songs, either. Just chording along. I did do the intro to the last song (which is not the one that got the reaction), but again that was just chords, and was the decision of the praise band leader, not me.

Keep us in our prayers, those wot do.

Thanks!

Katastrophe
March 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Okay!

It's good that the MD lightened up a bit, but I think you keeping the cheerful attitude helped here. Something about the Golden Rule applies, methinks...

Keep in mind that no matter what you do, there are some folks with conservative views that are gonna frown on any other instruments other than organ or piano in a church service. It's what they've most likely grown up with, and are accustomed to. Give 'em time, stay positive and friendly, and they'll either come around or go to the more traditional service. People by nature fear change and the things that are different to them.

Eric
March 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I didn't think I would, but I half-agree with Spud on this one; you might want to consider leaving.

I know there's more to church than music, it might be good for other reasons, it's just the praise band, you're just the guitarist, etc. BUT...it's important to you. It's a way in which you worship. It's one of your strengths. It's an outlet for you that keeps you mentally healthy. And it's causing you a bunch of stress right now.

I had what sounds like very similar problems at the last church where I was (a very city-ish church) -- the pastor simply did not like music, and the music he did like was hymns so old they weren't even in the hymnal anymore. Obviously the only proper way to play those was on a pipe organ or grand piano if the organ was unavailable. SO many talented musicians left because of the anti-music we had and the battles fought to use anything considered temporary, they eventually got to the point where I could play on the worship team! Same thing: I felt like I was operating at half-efficiency because there was so much back-and-forth. It was horrible.

I kept telling myself that the oldsters needed to worship in the way they were comfortable too, and kept talking/commiserating incessantly with the worship leader, who has pioneered the concept of a guitar at the church. When I respectfully mentioned to the head pastor at one point that I dress down to avoid intimidating newcomers, the pastor later mentioned to someone that he had never been talked to in that way. What way? Oh, I guess the way in which someone openly presents an opinion different than his.

Now, the above words ventured into just open rant on my former church, but here's the deal: I now attend two different churches, one in which I play on Sunday mornings and commit a 6-hour window of time, and one I go to in the evenings for the preaching and social concerns. I am SO much happier, SO much more fulfilled, and, honestly, SO much closer to God now, it's not even close or even funny. I always thought I was keeping it real before. I think I was just fighting a losing battle and not giving God the best I had to offer by staying in that situation. Obviously there was a ton of prayer involved in that decision to move on, as the church was such a big thing to and for me, but it was 100% the right decision. You might want to consider that.

The saving grace of your situation, in my opinion, might be your head pastor. It's unlikely, since he/she has the MD on staff and apparently refuses to push him out the door. If the pastor shares your vision, poke him/her a little bit and say what this current situation is doing to all involved. The church and style, in the end, will probably be the vision of the head pastor. If not, he/she was steamrolled a long time ago and you should consider leaving.

Again, I'm pessimistic about whether your issue can be resolved, as the situation hasn't changed to date, but try it. This is something that matters to you, and you can rest assured that there is something better out there. I wasn't sure, but I am now.

For the record, we had some short sermons yesterday, so in the in-between time, we were farting around with Led Zep, AC/DC, Metallica, Cream, Beatles, some random blues, and other various stuff. We got some amused comments, but nobody complained. I may end up eating my words someday, but right now people there get it: if you want the band to be inspired to kick it during worship, you have to let the musicians stretch a little bit. God works in a number of ways, and they aren't all assigned hymn numbers.

/soapbox

Brian Krashpad
March 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Okay!

It's good that the MD lightened up a bit, but I think you keeping the cheerful attitude helped here. Something about the Golden Rule applies, methinks...

Keep in mind that no matter what you do, there are some folks with conservative views that are gonna frown on any other instruments other than organ or piano in a church service. It's what they've most likely grown up with, and are accustomed to. Give 'em time, stay positive and friendly, and they'll either come around or go to the more traditional service. People by nature fear change and the things that are different to them.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to do.

I have to reiterate that the original post was typed at a moment of extreme exasperation.

6string
March 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I was going to say "What would Jesus do" but strike that cuz the answer would be a miracle.

Glad the situation has improved.

bigoldron
March 19th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Brian, I can relate to what you're experiencing. Not with any leadership, though, mostly with the members. We've had our Youth band for over 2 years and started our Adult band last summer. The Adult has been playing most Sunday mornings, playing praise and worship songs. For the most part we've gotten positive comments, but there's that few that would gripe if Jesus Christ Himself were leading the band... Not really the OLD folks but those just under that age group... 60-75.... Go figure...

Anyway, one complaint they've had is that we're too loud and to some extent that's true. Our drummer insisted on using his real cymbals with the electronic drums which has been killing us. I'm having to play loud enough to hear myself over him and that overpowers the keyboard player and then the singers get turned, etc., etc. You know the drill.

Anyway, last week, we caught him gone and took his cymbals out and put the electric ones back. Plus he'd been playing through a small amp to hear himself and it was TOO loud which caused the same problems. NOW, we have him going through some headphones, so, he can hear himself and the singers without killing us all. Overall volume is much nicer, which should strip them complainers of at least one point....

Hang in there my brother. We're all in this together and we're going to keep jammin' in church! Maybe you've turned a corner with the MD. The old "kill 'em with kindness" ploy does work sometimes.... :D :agree

Brian Krashpad
March 19th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks Ronnie Beth!

I'm going camping with my son's Scout troop this weekend so I can come back ready for next weekend. Here's where I'll be:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs483.snc3/26454_379728963878_512618878_3631770_7435667_n.jpg

Fellow Fretter Warren W. has been there numerous times, and says it's great. Weather is perfect so I'm looking forward to a break from church band for one weekend anyhow. I will take some acoustic instruments to have fun with though, of course!

bigoldron
March 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks Ronnie Beth!

I'm going camping with my son's Scout troop this weekend so I can come back ready for next weekend. Here's where I'll be:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs483.snc3/26454_379728963878_512618878_3631770_7435667_n.jpg

Fellow Fretter Warren W. has been there numerous times, and says it's great. Weather is perfect so I'm looking forward to a break from church band for one weekend anyhow. I will take some acoustic instruments to have fun with though, of course!

Looks way cool. And if Warren says it's OK, then it's OK!

Eric
April 13th, 2010, 04:29 PM
How've things been coming along with this? I suppose you weren't around last weekend to play, but just wondering if you've had any positive progress.

I realize my first response was pretty harsh, but I've been through a lot of church drama, and it's tough. Kind of brings back memories, but not good ones.

I hope things have improved.

Brian Krashpad
April 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM
How've things been coming along with this? I suppose you weren't around last weekend to play, but just wondering if you've had any positive progress.

I realize my first response was pretty harsh, but I've been through a lot of church drama, and it's tough. Kind of brings back memories, but not good ones.

I hope things have improved.

We'll see, it's hard to tell. After the Boy Scout camp-out where I was out of town, 2 weeks ago was my big rock band weekend where I had a bunch of gigs all crammed together (we only played 2 songs in church, and on no Saturday practice, just a pre-service run-through, played one song on mando and one on acoustic-electric), and then this weekend I was out of town again with the youth group camping with my daughter and the other high schoolers.

That said, there have been some potentially positive signs. First, this last weekend camping I and my daughter (our bassist) and the other electric guitarist all took our acoustic axes along and played a couple hours each night (Friday and Saturday), and had a great time, as did the other campers. The other guitarist said that the couple who drove one of the other vehicles, who he rode home with, kept on and on about how good the music at the campout was.

Plus on Sunday, we got back in time to go to church, but didn't play (some subs filled in, with our regular drummer and keyboardist). After church, the Music Director was leaving in his truck and saw me and called me over. I thought "Oh no, what now..." but it turned out he wants me to do a piece for a baptism coming up, that his son wrote. I told him I don't sight-read but can usually figure things out from chords/tab, so I will try to do my best on that and hopefully get in his good graces as if I were a real musician. ;)

Lastly, today one of the college-age girls from church added me on Facebook, and this interchange was posted on my wall:

Her: I ♥ your musical stylings at church :)

Me: Why thank you! I wish everyone did, haha!

It's a great band and I'm privileged to play with them. And of course playing in church adds an extra dimension to just playing, as does being able to play with my daughter.

Her: Yea, your daughter is quite the talented bassist. Our church band has improved sooo much in the last year or so. I used to dread listening to them squack and squeal, but now I'm excited to listen :) Keep up the good stuff!

So anyhow, that was nice. Always good to hear someone likes what one is doing! :AOK

Eric
April 13th, 2010, 08:57 PM
That seems positive. I guess you'll have a better idea after the next couple of weeks, but keep us updated. I've got you on the prayer-front.