PDA

View Full Version : Guess/help me decide - what amp/system I used for this new song?

deeaa
March 10th, 2010, 12:13 PM
How'd you like the guitar sound on this? It's very much a work in progress, no bass at all even as of yet, just me and the drummer, no solo, but I wanted - no, I'm eager to get some feedback on the guitar sounds - how do you find them? I'm considering starting to use this setup from now now for this whole project...so please comment on the sound?

http://deeaa.pp.fi/lzm/Lemonade/lemonade_full_demo.mp3

Monkus
March 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Great, I like it, but its kinda early to say without the other tracks, if the tonality will cut through the mix. The beginnings are already there though, nice playing. Your vocals kinda remind me of Rush. The world needs more of that music.

my .002

piebaldpython
March 10th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds good, nothing wrong with it at all.

deeaa
March 11th, 2010, 08:24 AM
thanks...no guesses as to what kind of a system it is?

marnold
March 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Sounds fine to me too. I couldn't even begin to guess what you used. My ears aren't that good.

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Tech21 direct record?

deeaa
March 11th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Tech21 direct record?

Nope, that's what I've been using this far for most of my music...this is a new setup.

FrankAxtell
March 11th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I thing your getting a very good tone with that rig...very seventies rock n roll...nice tube crunch, very warm...

deeaa
March 11th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Yep, I think so too! It's the first time I'm really impressed with modeling (now the cat is out...), this can really give a very nice tube crunch. But it's entirely recorded with an EMG active guitar direct to soundcard input, no pedals, nothing. Just a dry signal to Cubase and then the sounds applied with Amplitube VST plugin. It's quite handy in that you can change the sounds as long as you like and never have to replay the song to achieve that, since it's a plugin, not committed to track until mixdown.

These sounds were just some presets I selected, but seems the program also allows for adding pedals and changing their order and adding a second amp and whatnot. I'm pretty confident it'll easily cover all my needs and only get better once I get into tweaking my own sounds. I haven't tried a very metal sound yet, though. For less drive and crunch at least it seems just great.

The only downside is that you need to play it in clean, unless you do the Y cord thing and use an amp for monitoring. Because there is just enough lag to throw you off if you listen to it as you play. But that's only when using it thru Cubase as VST, standalone mode gives no lag I can detect. Probably the 2ms the soundcard reports, but in no way so much it'd be a problem.

It was interesting to play with just unamplified sound...you kinda need some imagination when playing, I guess you need to have also played for long enough to play just like you'd play with an amp, if you'd start with recording like this I don't think it'd be too easy to get a natural sounding touch developed. But since I also play live with a proper tube rig, it's no problem.

But I'm thrilled...and I'm finally also getting into using effects on my guitar tracks, since it's so easy to try and adjust them.

Damn, I'm sounding like a salesman for Amplitube by now, which I'm not, but I'm really very impressed about this. I thought POD XT had a few pretty good sounds to it already, but this seems too good to me now to believe almost.