PDA

View Full Version : Bill Frisell live

tjcurtin1
March 10th, 2010, 08:30 PM
And show number two of the weekend (whew, Hiatt on Saturday, Frisell Sunday!)

I was excited to see Frisell in this small venue - the Narrows Center for the Arts in Fall River, MA. It's like being in someone's living room almost. An 8" high riser for the band, an 8' space for cocktail tables, and then three rows of church pews center left and right (I've GOT to remember to bring a cushion next time....). He was accompanied by Eyvind Kang on Violin and Rudy Royston on drums, so I was aware that it might be some of Bill's more out-there stuff...

My wife came too, along with some musical friends - she has heard some Frisell when I've played him at home, and had at least gotten used to him (mostly the Americana side), but when the bird chirps and violin 'sounds' and the odd loops of the first song began, I looked over and thought that it would be a long night for her! An hour and a half later, my wife was the first one on her feet, clapping and cheering!

It was truly an experience to wonder at. The music and the playing were just incredible. As my wife said, she was worried for the first minute, but then she got swept up in the sound world that was being created and loved every minute. There were almost no words spoken: Bill announced the names of his partners, and they started to play. They paused briefly for applause at the end of each piece and promptly began the next. Occasionally while playing, Bill would get this crazy smile that he would direct at one of his bandmates. They left the stage with a 'Thank you" and returned for an encore, and Bill said, "I don't know if there's anything left....". I thought that he meant that they were musically drained, but then he said, "I had one of those great brownies over there; you should have one if there are any left...but save some for us." Then they played their encore. The musicianship was incredible all round, but the drummer stood out for the amazing part he played and his great musicality, in what you may imagine could have been an odd combination of instruments.

I felt as if I were hearing someone like Charles Ives playing (I don't know much of his music, but his reputation as a seminal American composer). I think that Frisell fits that category. Each piece was like a little musical world that pulled you in, and you just lived there as long as the music went on. Really one of the greatest live music experiences I've ever had - I felt privileged.

kidsmoke
March 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Really one of the greatest live music experiences I've ever had - I felt privileged.

Exactly how I felt when I saw him. Although I saw the three piece trio, upright and kit, more his standard, I felt like I had been granted a brief passage to another level. And that smile. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone so happy to be doing what they're doing.

Thanks for the review!!

Robert
March 10th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Another guy I need to see live sometime! Thanks for the review!

Dean Watson
April 20th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I've heard his music many times, truly a great, unique, and sometimes haunting player. I have yet to see him.

Tig
April 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Another guy I need to see live sometime! Thanks for the review!

+1
I need to see this master.

Edit: He'll be here in a few weeks, but I'm working that evening. Damn!
Also, Robben Ford will be playing the next day, and again, I'll be working. :thwap