PDA

View Full Version : Authentic PAF Clones..

Bloozcat
March 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I think I may have just heard about the most authentic sounding old school PAF humbuckers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRXSTI4z09Y&feature=player_embedded

They're also some of the most expensive. But with all the time, effort, and research that Dave Stephens has put into his pickup line, it's like buying from a master.
http://www.sdpickups.com

msteeln
March 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Have you tried Bare Knuckle's Mules?

Bloozcat
March 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM

I wasn't speaking of all the pickups I've tried...I'd have to be The Bank of America to be able to do that...;)

Of all the actual sound clips of custom pickups compared to actual 1959 and 1960 Les Pauls with original PAF's, this is the closest I've heard. I have heard clips of Bareknuckle Mules. They're great pickups, no doubt, but so are so many other hand wound pickups out there (of which I have several).

Dave Stephens has made PAF pickups an obsession and has compiled more data on their construction and materials than anyone else I've ever seen, heard, or read about. He's so fanatical about it that he's worked with metalurgists in analyzing base plates, pole slugs, wiring, etc. He's interviewed people who've worked for Gibson during the 50's and 60's.

Many others have created great pickups, but there's just that edge that these pickups have that make them sound like they're from the vintage era.

guitartango
March 12th, 2010, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEgqrZb_b6U

Shed pickups !

Kazz
March 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Blooz.....Those sound awesome man. Thanks for posting.

syo
March 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Mules are terrific. I have several sets. Definitely has the vintage PAF down. A little cheaper than the Stephens (but hardly cheap).

duhvoodooman
March 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Gotta agree, BC--those sound very authentic indeed. I'd slap a set in my new Agile AL-3000....if they didn't cost more than I paid for the guitar! :eek: ;)

Bloozcat
March 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM
It was interesting reading what Dave Stephens found through his research.

Metalurgy technology in the 1950's as most would expect, was inferior to what is available today. Despite this, Gibson used the best metals and materials that were available in that era. Apparently, Gibson did segregate the materials in order to produce the best sounding pickups they could. In 1959 and 1960 Gibson hit on a combination of magnets, metal for the base plates, magnet slugs, wiring, etc. that produced the holy grail of PAF pickups. Dave commented that after he had done his research he then understood why the 59' & 60 LP's are so prized for their tone (especially the 59'). He also noted that it was also clear why there were so many different sounding PAF's in the 1950's...the metals varied significantly enough that in totality (all factors combined), they produced pickups with differing tonal properties.

By working with a metalurgist friend of his, Dave set out to find metals, magnets, wire, slugs, etc. that matched or were as close as possible to the materials in the 1959 and 1960 PAF's that he had disected and tested. He sent samples of the Formvar wire from several original 59' & 60 PAF for an analysis of the materials so that he could try to procure wire that matched as closely as the original. For the bobbins and other parts, Dave chose to make them himself because he could not find them commercially. Keep in mind, this is an obsession with Dave, and obsessions often push people into territory where most wouldn't bother to go.

I know that many of the custom winders out there try to duplicate the look and even the construction of the original PAF's. Most use the best and closest to original Formvar wire that they can find. But I've never heard of anyone going to quite the lengths that Dave does in trying to figure out as close to exactly what was used in the old pickups. I really admire his dedication, but at $450.00 a set it's not likely that I'm going to be purchasing any. But, I'm a hobbyist when it comes to my guitars. If I was a professional who used his guitars as professional tools, I'd want the best. These pickups could very well qualify.

So far to date, the humbuckers that sound best for my needs of those I've tried are the Guitarforce Lord of the Blues. That is not to say that there aren't many other custom wound pickups out there that sound equally good, if perhaps in a different way. But, I wanted a set of humbuckers that could capture the classic LP tone of the vintage era, and be capable of the elusive Duane tone with the right amp. Combine that with the fact that Kevin Taylor of Guitarforce pickups was (and still is) offering them to members of the mylespaul.com forum for $125.00 a set, and that closed the deal. As an added plus, Kevin even wound them for me on (shhhh!) double cream bobbins which I really love. ;)

FrankenFretter
March 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM
So far to date, the humbuckers that sound best for my needs of those I've tried are the Guitarforce Lord of the Blues. That is not to say that there aren't many other custom wound pickups out there that sound equally good, if perhaps in a different way. But, I wanted a set of humbuckers that could capture the classic LP tone of the vintage era, and be capable of the elusive Duane tone with the right amp. Combine that with the fact that Kevin Taylor of Guitarforce pickups was (and still is) offering them to members of the mylespaul.com forum for $125.00 a set, and that closed the deal. As an added plus, Kevin even wound them for me on (shhhh!) double cream bobbins which I really love. ;)

Hmmm, I just joined that forum about a week ago. You'll have to point me to the right thread to learn more about these pickups...

Bloozcat
March 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hmmm, I just joined that forum about a week ago. You'll have to point me to the right thread to learn more about these pickups...

Kevin Taylor goes by the user name kevinT on mylespaul.com

His web site is http://www.guitarforcepickups.com

Best way to contact him is through his website. Send him a message identifying yourself by your MLP user name, and then discuss the pickups with him. While you're on his site, check out the sound files. My favorite and the one that sold me on the LOTB set (along with the glowing reviews), the LOTB/Vintage 57 sound file. Good stuff...

On MLP.com check out the Tonefreaks section under the subtitle Pickups. Use the search function and type in Guitarforce if you want to see the numerous threads on his pickups. I've yet to see anything but praise for his pickups.

FrankenFretter
March 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Cool. Thanks, BC!