PDA

View Full Version : Winwood

M29
March 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM
What a sweet Firebird there Steve!! I bet the 3 P90 version really rocked!! Those days seem so long ago now.

7_nwbTeIN4Y&feature=related

Kazz
March 13th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I will take Tesla's version off of Real to Reel any day

Katastrophe
March 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
IMO, Steve Winwood is a damn fine player, which was overshadowed by being a contemporary of Hendrix, Clapton and others of the era.

Love this tune.

M29
March 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Kazz,

What is the Tesla' version?

Kat,

He is fine player, he sounds good at his age at Crossroads too.

ZMAN
March 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Steve has been a major player int he music industry for years. Spencer Davis group, Traffic, Blind Faith and the many years of solo ventures.
In some of his albums he wrote produced, did vocals and played all the instruments. Multi tracking at it's best. I love the Traffic Album and it is one of my favourite all time albums. Welcome to the Canteen is a Classic album.
I was very happy to see him at the last Crossroads festival, and was really amazed at how good of a player he was. I though he was more of a keyboard, player and singer than a guitarist.
Sorry but nobody does Dear Mr. Fantasy like Steve.

Zip
March 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM
"...overshadowed by being a contemporary of Hendrix..."

Check out the keyboards on 'Voodoo Chile'. That's Stevie & his Hammond B3 :)

poodlesrule
March 13th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I think I caught an article/radio interview where SW explained he was GASing for a neighbor's vintage Tele and managed a trade of some sort..!

Dude has a nice farm estate... rolling hills, sheep, etc.

Voodoo Chile:
SW and EC, with no other band member, played the tune at a Madison Sq Garden show recently (seen on PBS last year). The rendition of the tune projected a very special aura, one could feel the physical link with JH via SW... Very dramatic feel, at least for me, that day.

M29
March 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Wow I didn't know that about Voodoo Chile!! Veddy intedesting. I will have to get that song cued up and listen for it now.

I wish I could have seen that poodlesrule!

birv2
March 15th, 2010, 11:54 AM
The dude is totally underrated, IMO. I thought he gave Clapton a run for his money on the Crossroads DVD. Plus he's a great keys player AND an awesome singer. How unfair is that?

M29
March 15th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Here is an interesting clip of the two at the Hollywood Bowl with a close up of Claptons fingerboard. Not sure if I care for the lady singers on this tune but a good job none the less.

Thanks for the info on Madison Square poodlesrule, I found a utube to it but it did not last as long as this one.

pbOpuSiAhog&feature=related

ZMAN
March 15th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Great Vid M. Only reinforces what I though of this guy. Totally underated as one of the Icons of rock. Oh and he pays Bass as well. My God!

poodlesrule
March 16th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Gotta love the early 1970s Hyde Park thing with SW and EC (and Ginger Baker?) that shows up on PBS once in a while.
Windwood, 18 or 19 or so at the time was just soaring, fantastic voice, where EC looks like he just rolled out of bed..!

Saw Windwood live here in 2008, Boston Berklee Perf Ctr (good seats, yummy!). He incorporates a lot of Latin/Brazilian rhythms in his current music. Of note, was the band lead guitar, Jose Neto, quite awesome, power, "percussive" style (for my lack of better way to describe it).