PDA

View Full Version : Pro's of Fender Hot Rod DeVille?

Duff
March 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I am seriously thinking of getting a Fender Hot Rod DeVille.

Some of you guys like Maxifunk have them.

I'm wondering what you guys think about them.

I have a Hot Rod Deluxe tweed special edition with Jensen P12n awesome speaker and like it a lot, hyper sensitive volume knob aside.

Can you guys give me some of the positive pro's of the hot rod DeVille?

One of my other options is the Vox discontinued AD120TX that I see as being awesome but old, complicated, and possibly unfixable when it runs into problems.

I see the Fender hot rod DeVille as being fixable for the rest of my live and then some, not discontinued, and as having a long history of repair history that is familiar with all the good amp techs. It also shares the similar circuits with the rest of the extremely popular "hot rod" series of Fender amps.

Do you agree that it will be fixable for some time to come and that it is a great amp and will have great stock tone and also have great build up possibilities, like new tubes and speakers, as needed or experimented with.

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Duffy

deeaa
March 14th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I am seriously thinking of getting a Fender Hot Rod DeVille.

Some of you guys like Maxifunk have them.

I'm wondering what you guys think about them.

I have a Hot Rod Deluxe tweed special edition with Jensen P12n awesome speaker and like it a lot, hyper sensitive volume knob aside.

Can you guys give me some of the positive pro's of the hot rod DeVille?

One of my other options is the Vox discontinued AD120TX that I see as being awesome but old, complicated, and possibly unfixable when it runs into problems.

I see the Fender hot rod DeVille as being fixable for the rest of my live and then some, not discontinued, and as having a long history of repair history that is familiar with all the good amp techs. It also shares the similar circuits with the rest of the extremely popular "hot rod" series of Fender amps.

Do you agree that it will be fixable for some time to come and that it is a great amp and will have great stock tone and also have great build up possibilities, like new tubes and speakers, as needed or experimented with.

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Duffy

For me, those are way too loud. I could never really open it up proper, even on outdoor venues. But yeah, they should be quite fixable I guess. (I played a DeVille for many years, and aside from the annoyances of the open back, it was a nice enough amp. If it were about the quarter wattage and closed back, I would have probably kept it.)

ZMAN
March 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Duff: I had the Blues Deluxe Reissue as well, and I went for the 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I eventually traded the tweed Deluxe for a Gold Top Gibby.
The Deville is way too loud and as you say very touchy on the volume. Also I didn't like the gain channel on the Deluxe at all.
The 65 is just about a perfect amp for any use. 22 watts breaks up nice and it takes pedals really well. You can mike it for a gig and still get that sweet tone. A lot of guys use them for studio work. Nice size as well.

kidsmoke
March 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Duff:
The 65 is just about a perfect amp for any use. 22 watts breaks up nice and it takes pedals really well. You can mike it for a gig and still get that sweet tone. A lot of guys use them for studio work. Nice size as well.

+1

MAXIFUNK
March 15th, 2010, 02:32 AM
The reasons I got the Deville

1. Fender clean with this amp is fantastic and compared to the hot rod deluxe and deluxe vm both 1 x12, the 4x10 speakers of the deville are just more pronounced and full colorful.

2. It was used and the price was cheaper than both of the above mention amps. I was leaning towards Deluxe VM: the reasons it was not as loud as the hot rod on lower volume settings and had a few built in effects. A very tweakable amp.

3. The Deville is loud but even on 1 on the clean channel just has such great sound and it only gets better as you turn it up.

4. The distortion channel is not as bad as people say to me NO its not going to knock your socks off like a marshall, engl, mesa but what fender amp does.

I had two friends of mine play my LP & Strat SSS using the gain and the more gain settings it sounded great to everyone in the room. They made it sound way better than I could must be their fingers. LOL

Just throw your favorite pedal in front off the clean channel and your good to go.

5. I have not used it in a live setting but I am sure it could be tweaked to fit any room. But I could easily be wrong the bass player in me more wattage & louder is better old habits die hard.

6. I have read on-line from more then one source where they changed the tubes and up the bias to 80mv and the amp distortion was greatly improved.

I am not sure about that it comes with grove tubes 6L6 standard I am not sure but I think the 12ax7 are sovtek. Both have great reps for making great tubes.

This how i would recommend this amp:

If you love the Fender clean sound and tone and want plenty of power to go with it get. But if your a high Gain kind of guy or girl keep looking because this amp is not for you.

The distortion on this amp is not everyone's cup of tea but if you like then your good.

I still want a meas, marshall engl, bogner high gain style amp as well as a low watt cool amp like the night train, tweaker, Trans-Atlantic, jet city.
But I thought this would be a great way to start out in the tube guitar amp world.

Jipes
March 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Got a used one ten years ago and sell it back six months later, didn't like the sound, way to crispy for a Fender, way too loud (couldn't open after position2 on the volume even during gigs), way too heavy (I'm getting old :crazyguy )

Robert
March 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM
The deville sounds great but it's very loud. Great great tone though.

Spudman
March 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
The player in the country band I sub for uses a DeVille and he might get it up to 1 1/2 but then gets told he's too loud. His tone is great but he lugs a heavy amph around and never gets to turn it up. He's quite jealous of my 20 watters that I get to turn up. DeVille = heavy and loud - but sounds good.

MAXIFUNK
October 17th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Duffy did you ever get this amp?