PDA

View Full Version : GAS Attack ! Epi LP

Geraint Jones
March 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I don`t know where this one came from , but last month I sold 2 guitars a Gordon Smith LP Junior style and an Epi Sheraton to keep the wife happy and all of a sudden I`m lusting after a Les Paul . I like a bargain so I`ve been looking at ebay for an Epi, something which alarmed me was the prospect of picking up a a fake . I`ve been looking at some and judging by some of the stuff I`ve read {ie positioning of the pick guard bracket screw }they`re obviously not kosher . There`s also a bewildering array of Les Pauls {at least with Fenders they look different} . Anyone have any tips/ ideas , I initially thought of a Studio then a Standard with Tobacco burst, then the translucent amber caught my eye not to mention an Epi LP Classic antique {a black finish would`nt normally do it for me but the ivory binding and headstock look stunning.I`m sure if i breathe deeply and count to a thousand it will pass.

Katastrophe
March 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM
The Epiphone website has a section on counterfeit guitars, to help with spotting a fake.

The new LP Tribute has me drooling... but then again, many different types of guitars make me drool!

Geraint Jones
March 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Anyone played the Epiphone LP 1959 reissue , I think that may be the one. { the Lifton case has hypnotised me} , the problem for me is the nearest stockist is about 200 miles away so play before i buy is not really an option.

Geraint Jones
March 18th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I`m selling this to fund it

http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/purlnekless/Berlin%20Pro/?action=view&current=DSCF1438.jpg&newest=1

ZMAN
March 18th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Geraint: I have recently purchased several Gibson LPs, I own an Epi Elitist Les Paul Custom, and I have owned several Epiphone Les Pauls.
Here is the skinny.
In this market I would go for a used Classic or Standard. Gibson MIA. You can pick them up for 1000 to 1400 depending on year and model.
I have a Studio in fireburst, Classic Gold Top, and a Standard in Tobacco burst. The Tobacco is a 96 and it is beautiful. The classic has the 60s neck and the Studio is a 50s neck. The Studio was supposed to be gone today on a trade for a 2008 Marshall DSL100, but the guy can't get away from work.
The only reason I am trading the Studio is that the price point I paid falls in line with what the guy wants for the amp, and I have lots of guitars.
If you want to go a little less money, the Tribute looks like a nice guitar.
It has the Gibson 57 classics, and a 60s neck. I think they are going for 799
I am not sure about the 59 I have only recently heard of them.
I have and Elitist, which was made in Japan with the Gibson pickups. It is an amazing guitar. Also the Korean LPs by epi from prior to them moving to China are exceptional buys. The Custom is really nice. The Chinese ones are not as nice IMHO.
As far as pickups go most of the Gibsons will have the 490/498 pickup set and they are really one of the nicest that Gibson makes. All the hype about Burstbuckers and 57 classics etc is just that. The the 490 neck is the same output as the BBs or 57s, the 498 bridge is 13.5 and is great for solos etc.
The BB pros and the 57 Classic plus are a little hotter. The PAFs that they are trying to copy were both in the 7 to 8 range and hard to tell apart when playing.
Most of the Epi Pickups other than the ones that have Gibsons in them from the factory are an offshore version of the 490/498s.
I learned my lesson a long time ago. If you buy a clone you will always wonder what the real Gibson was like and lust after one. If you can get a decent buy on one go for it, you won't regret it.
The Classics are often overlooked, the 90s classic Plus are excellent guitars and were actually more expensive initially than the Standard. They have a really nice flamed top. Normally the Classic is a plain top.
If you have any questions just PM me or email I have lots of experience with them.
Also the Epis LOOK like a Gibson, and most guys who own them will say they are as good, but they are not. The maple cap is much thinner, and the electronics are terrible. The pickup selector switch on them is just brutal.
I have changed all of mine including two Sheratons due to failure.
The Gibson electronics are much cleaner and the guitars are a lot louder, and the pots are more precise when adjusting.

Geraint Jones
March 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for that Zman , many years ago I used to get given an LP Custom to play on gig nights then it went back to its owner , recently I`ve been wondering what it would be like to own one . I suppose it all comes to to money, initially I was looking for a used Epi LP standard {£250} , but so many of these for sale on ebay looked like fakes . Now I do tend to buy things which may be older/used but were top of the range . I`ve spotted a couple of Epi LPs on ebay which appear genuine and should be a good deal .I`ve also been offered a new LP studio for £650 which is probably at my upper level {although I should make a few bob out of the British Airways strike this weekend} . So is it a top of the range Epi `59 for about £500 unused or a new LP Studio{worn wood} for £650 what d`ya think .

ZMAN
March 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM
The worn brown/red Studio is not bad but they are pretty rough. By that I mean they don't have much of a finish on them. They should have the covered Burstbucker pickups in them. The 59 would be a nice choice. From what I can see they are pretty good looking with all the Gibson hardware. The Worn Studio is a good working guitar, The 59 will have more bling. They should be about the same in performance.
For the money I would go with the 59. I forgot your were in Britain. The used Classics and Standards are much more prevalent here in Canada/USA
Hope this helps.
I have recently seen a Zak Wylde Camo with the Gibson headstock that was a Chinese fake, so I know what you are talking about.

Geraint Jones
March 18th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I saw a brand new Epi LP custom go for half rrp on ebay a few days back, some just scream fake . How are the Studios from a playability point of view , how do the necks compare to the LP standard . The finish may not bother me so much although bang for buck I guess you won`t beat the Epi `59 reissue if I can get a good deal on it .

ZMAN
March 18th, 2010, 06:33 PM
The Studio line have the 50s neck, which is a little thicker. They are not too bad to play though. The 60s slim taper is a little thinner. The 59 also has a 50s neck profile. You would have to play them to see if you like it. I have both and have no problem switching back and forth. The Tribute is a 60s neck, and most of the regular standards are somewhere in between the 50s and 60s unless you get one of the older Korean Customs, which has a slim neck.
I really am surprised that there are a lot of fake Epis. I can see them faking a Gibson, because of the higher price point.
I guess we are spoiled over here being able to go out to several shops and try out the guitars.
I would go out and find a 50s and 60s neck to play and see what you like.
Big hands, little hands, long fingers, short fingers, it makes a difference.
Most guys will mod their Epis and the pickups are the first thing to be swapped. If you can get a decent guitar with US pickups ie:59, studio or Tribute, you will be miles ahead.

markb
March 18th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I think the fake Epis are actually easier to get away with and when you see the price people can sell a guitar for, marking it up 2 or 3 times to Epiphone prices is worth the effort.

I happily gigged an Epi LP std for a few years. I changed the pickups to Duncan 59s, and had the nut and frets tidied up by a pro (I think he replaced the nut). Epiphone pickups have got better lately.

To go OT a bit, those 59 and Tribute Epi LPs are NZ$1599 here. $200 more gets you a Gibson Faded Studio. I think I'd save up for the instrument with the higher long term value.

Geraint Jones
March 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all the input guys , I won an Epi `59 reissue on ebay tonight for £500 like new .So I`m waiting on that to turn up with bated breath , pics and review to follow . Mark did you see the Patrck Eggle I`ve got for sale , did you ever play one before the move downunder .

markb
March 21st, 2010, 08:19 PM
Congrats on the new guitar, and don't forget, pictures or it didn't happen :)

Funnily enough I've never even played an Eggle. They just seemed to pass me by somehow. Looks nice.

Geraint Jones
March 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Finally arrived this afternoon , I`m supposed to put it away for my birthday next month but managed to belt out sweet child o` mine a few times before getting told to wind my neck in , and to prove it i`ll post the pics on the Epi section.

DrumBob
April 21st, 2010, 03:38 PM
Next time, if you want a Les Paul on a budget, check out Tokai Loves Rocks, or similar LP style guitars by Greco, Burny, Orville, or Edwards. They're always plentiful on eBay. I got a 2002 Love Rock a month ago, and it's a great guitar, easily as nice as some of the Gibson VOS stuff I've played; beautiful chevron flame top on an ice tea sunburst, sounds terrific, plays like butter. The cost? $700.

NWBasser
April 21st, 2010, 04:05 PM
I think I've come around to ZMan's point of view that if you buy a copy, eventually you'll lust after the real thing. Awhile back, when BCDon was down here, I briefly played an MIA Gibby LP at the Seattle GC and have to say that my Epi doesn't measure up. Way back in the day (mid-80's) though, I've played Gibson's that weren't so great, not bad, but really not impressive either.

It's been quite a few years since I've played an actual Gibson LP and I have to say that the new ones are very, very nice. Quite impressive!

Part of the problem is that guitar takes a sideline to my bass playing and, viewed in that manner, it's hard to justify an expensive one. OTOH, for the times that I do play, it would likely be a better experience.

All of my basses are high-quality and MIA because I really do think that even the smallest details can make a noticable difference in playing experience. I only have three basses, but each of them is high quality and a joy to play.

I suppose I should take that attitude about guitars and get just one really good one. It might just be worth the wait.