PDA

View Full Version : Trade for a JCM 2000 DSL100

ZMAN
March 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have an opportunity to trade even for a 2008 DSL100. It is mint condition.
The guy wants my Fireburst Studio. It is a 2008 and is also mint condition.
I was wondering what you guys thought about the amp, and the trade.
I was looking for a DSL50 but I am having a hard time finding one locally.
I would be putting it through my Avatar 2/12 with the Eminence Legends.
What I am worried about is that it would be too much for home use.
I already have a DSL401 but it is not an El34 amp.
Any thoughts?

MAXIFUNK
March 15th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I know very little about Marshall's amp but can't wait for the troops to pipe in so I can learn something.

Zman is it a matter of el84 v.s. el34?

mainestratman
March 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
ZMan.. I've got the 2000TSL.. I don't know what to say about it except it's an orgasm in a box.

:-)

ZMAN
March 16th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks Maineman, I really was thinking along those lines. I have 3 El34 amps and I would like to get an EL84. This amp lists at over 1700 in Canada and it is a 2008 model, with the original box and packaging. My Gibson Studio is really nice but I have 4 other Les Pauls. I will probably head out to see it on the Weekend.

mainestratman
March 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'll be honest.. I've never had my amp past 5.

ZMAN
March 17th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I talked to the guy last night and he is all pumped for the trade. ROAD TRIP!
I will have to travel 1.5 hours to pick it up. Gives me a chance to take my new Equinox LT for a spin. Pick it up today! What a great week!

ZMAN
March 18th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Well one down and 1 to go. Got the Equinox and very happy with it. The guy had to postpone the swap due to work committment. Work. I can vaugley remember that. LOL.
Looks like ETA Saturday. I will post a revue.

ZMAN
March 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Well I just got back from trading the my Gibson Les Paul Studio for a JCM 2000 DSL 100. The amp is a 2008 and came with a cover as well. It was purchassed brand new just over a year ago and is in mint condition.
I have the original bill of sale and he paid 1799 C. Plus tax. I paid 1099 for my Studio plus tax. The cover is a Marshall cover worth 60 bucks.
The amps sounds really amaziing on both channels. I have an extra footswitch so I can switch both the channels and reverb. Why they have two switch locations I don't know.
Reverb on both channels and adjustable eq.
So far I just gave a quick once over to make sure everything works. I will have to tweak it. The thing with this amp though is it sound excellent straight in. One of the few I have owned. Super Clean to super crunch in one kick of a pedal.
One bad thing is that it STINKS. Sorry to offend any of you but the guy and his wife were smokers. It came with the original box and I had to drive with the windows down for 1.5 hours. The box and the cover are in the garage airing out. I am in the process of wiping the amp down with some mild vinyl cleaner and a little fabreze. It will take a few days to clear up.
Oh and yes it is VERY loud. But that isn't a problem.

Spudman
March 21st, 2010, 03:22 AM
Cool. I'm glad that you got a good deal on something you'll like. What does it look like?

mainestratman
March 21st, 2010, 06:31 AM
:beer:

Like I said... lol

ZMAN
March 21st, 2010, 07:37 AM
I am using my Avatar 2/12 with the Eminence legends. It sounds pretty amazing. I had some time to mess with it last night and I have figured out all the tone shaping switches and modes. Two Channels with separate reverb and I am using two foot switches to control channels and reverb.
The effects loop has a push in pop out button when using a rack mount or pedals. The manual is very vague and I am not sure which is which. One has a +4db boost and the other a +10. I only used a pedal and there was not much difference. You also need to adjust the volume on the DD20.
Any help with that would be appreciated.
Also I have wiped it down but there is still a lingering smell of cigarette smoke. Any cures or remedies for this.
Of course the pics as requested.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3210242.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3210243.jpg
Sitting beside it is his little brother the DSL401. Now all I need is the DSL50!

mainestratman
March 21st, 2010, 08:08 AM
Have you tried burning incense on/near it?

I would recommend against spray Febreeze into it though.. lol

ZMAN
March 21st, 2010, 08:38 AM
Have you tried burning incense on/near it?

I would recommend against spray Febreeze into it though.. lol

Thanks don't worry, I know from experience you spray it on the CLOTH then wipe it down.
I quit smoking about 40 years ago, and ex smokers are 10 times more sensitive to it than smokers. I am using a mild soap solutions 10%, and a similar 10% vinegar and water. Now every time I play my guitar I get a craving for French Fries. LOL
Today there is a big difference.
Still would appreciate any help with the effects loop. I am using a DD20 Giga Delay by Boss. I can put it in the front end but with my DSL401 is sounded much better with it in the loop. The 401 doesn't have the boost on the loop though.
Here is what the Manual says.
5. Loop Level
"The loop level on the DSL. 100 and DSL. 50 can be adjusted to match either floor pedals, requiring a low level or effects processors which require a high level. "
That is it. I have gone over to the Marshall forum, and one explanation is one way and another is the exact opposite.
Not a big deal but I would like to know the skinny on it.

Spudman
March 21st, 2010, 10:20 AM
Nice looking rig. Thanks for the photo.

I leave my smelly equipment outside for a while to let air circulate around it for a day or two and that usually does it after smoky bar gigs. Not spring fresh but most of the mustiness is gone at least. You could alway hit the car wash too. :dude

ZMAN
March 21st, 2010, 11:18 AM
I am slowly getting the crud off.
I figured out the effects loop. I am getting well into Bonamassa tone with this rig now. If only they had a "Hand 100" That I could buy.
Played my Gibby Standard, my Fender 50th with the SCN pickups and my new Squier Custom Tele through it an all sound amazing.
My wife actually came up and commented on how great it sounded!

Monkus
March 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Put some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in a small bowl near to the amp. Should help with the scent. Leave it there for 2-3 days. If scent remains, repeat.

mainestratman
March 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
You need a TSL now.

:-)

ZMAN
March 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks Monkus. I am amazed at how quickly the smell disappeared from the amp cover. I left it out in the garage for a couple of days.
I washed the tolex down on the amp a couple of times and amazingly it is almost gone already.
Mainstratman:
I also have a JCM 2000 DSL 401, a 40 watt combo. I was using it as a head, and it sounded pretty good. El84 compared to EL34 though, I never looked at the TSL, I was actually looking for a DSL50. This one came up and it was such a good deal I grabbed it. The thing is like brand new. What are the differences between the TSL and The DSL. I assume it has a third channel. The DSL is so versatile, I can't imagine the possibilities with a TSL.

mainestratman
March 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Umm.. the only thing I can tell is that the TSL has twice as many knobs.. LOL

ZMAN
March 22nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
And it sounds awsome. Enough said!

mainestratman
March 22nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
:beer:

ZMAN
March 23rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
With the TSL what cab/speakers are you using?

mainestratman
March 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
1960a

Duffy
March 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I've got a line on a used DSL 100 for 775 US, probablyh can talk them down a little.

Problem is they just got in a Fender blonde SuperSonic sixty watt combo with a Celestion Vintage thirty in it for about 700 and this is one awesome amp. Probably the most impressive amp I've played in a long time, with the BURN button to kick in some real serious sound.

What do you think about these deals?

Both in excellent condition and only a couple years old. The dude traded the SuperSonic in for the AD120xlr vox I tried out. I think he heard me playing it because it sat there for four or five years and no one looked at it, then a few days after I played it it sold.

Anyway the supersonic is a way better amp.

ZMAN
March 27th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Duff: I have owned all sorts of amps. I bought a JCM 2000 DSL401. I used it as a head through my Avatar 2/12 Cab with Eminence Legend 1216s. It was heaven in a box. 40 watts and really a nice amp.
I had an opportunity to trade a Gibson Studio for a DSL100 and didn't hesitate. I wanted that big Marshall El34 tone, and man I got it in spades.
The tone that has been in my head for 50 years has finally been asnwered.
I would jump all over the DSL. For that price it is a steal.
Don't worry about it being too loud. There is only a 3 DB difference in the volume compared to a DSL50. Just much more headroom.
I can play it at home in the 3 to 4 range without any issues. I used to use a lot of pedals in front of my amps and now I use mainly the amp. There are 2 channels and 2 modes per channel that give you varying degrees of Marshall sweetness. From Clean Plexi tone to all out Marshall distortion. It also had a deep switch to give you more bottom end, and a mid switch that gives you those scooped mids as well.
I use a DD20 in the effects loop for some slapback, and the Green channel takes od pedals well.
I can't believe how many guys on this forum are buying amp after amp that has that "classic Marshall tone", or modelling, when you can get it for 700 bucks. Of course you need a cab but a 2/12 will do the trick quite nicely.
Go for it.