PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Gibson ES 335

papsimagoo
March 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Hey guys, trying to figure out what guitar to get my dad as a gift. He had a cherry 64' es 335 back in the day sold it to help raise me. He is all about playability and tone. He is a practical man. I am looking for EXPERIENCED opinions, favorite 335's. Year, specific changes, sound. If my question seems to broad help me narrow the search with criteria. Thanks guys.

ZMAN
March 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I have a 1990 ES 335. I paid what my friend paid for it in 1990. It was a one owner and is mint. When I first played this guitar I hated it. My friend never played it and that is why he sold it. Of course he had it 18 years.
I look it to my guitar tech and he found it had never been properly set up from the factory. The intonation was way off and the neck relief and string height were way off.
After he worked his majic it is the sweetest guitar I own out of 18 Electrics.
Any of the newer instruments would be great, and remember to take it to a good tech for an initial set up. Be sure to get someone who will set the guitar up to "your request" too many set them up the way they like to play. My guy listens to you and gives you exactly what you want.
Right now the used market would be a great place to pick one up, at a reasonable price.
Good luck. I am sure your Dad will be blown away by it.

otaypanky
March 18th, 2010, 09:57 PM
a cherry '64 if you could swing it

wingsdad
March 19th, 2010, 07:44 AM
If you've got the funds, this would make your dad pretty happy, I s'pose:

Cherry '64 for sale (http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-es-335-1964-cherry-3)

No price there, but if you call, you may hear a number like '5 Large'. Maybe 6.

OTH, you could go for a Gibson reissue of the 60's 335 with the mid-60 slim taper neck and block inlays. Then you'd only be forking out about 3 Grand or so.

Or, you could go 'back to the 60's'. for about 2 Grand or so and get him a Heritage H535 (http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/h535almsb_specs.html), built in the same Kalamazoo factory his '64 was, under management of the same folks involved in the making of his oldie.