PDA

View Full Version : Ordered new amph

Duff
March 17th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I decided not to get the Valetronix old style blue AD120VTX primarily because of its age and absence of a warranty. Vox said I would only get my money back for one year, no trade for a contemporary model or any other avenue.

I decided, after giving it some thought, that I wanted an amp that would likely stand up to the test of time and be of a fairly simple design, without modeling, and include a good spring reverb, two channels, and have a good classic rock, blues tone.

I almost decided to buy a 65 Deluxe, which I am sure would have been a good decision.

Then I got a chance to buy a brand new Peavey Classic 30 with 15 per cent off, which brought it down to 509. So I jumped and have one ordered; should ship today. I doubt if I will get it by Friday but who knows. Americanmusical.com has a warehouse in NJ not far from me in Central Pennsylvania. My Tribute Epi came in two days.

I glanced at some reviews of the classic 30 and see that it gets really great reviews from people who have purchased them recently.

I know a lot of you have Classic 30 amps and like them. Do you use yours straight up or did you do any mods, like a different speaker or tubes? I think the new ones come with JJ tubes.

Since I have been jumping around on making a decision on getting an amp since I played and liked that Vox digitized AD120VTX, I thought I would let you all know what I finally decided on.

I played a couple Valve Kings and thought they were great but the Classic 30 just felt like the better amp. I liked some of the tone modifying aspects of the Valve King but wanted a lower powered amp and one with more of a basic design.

The Classic 30 should have that classic design and excellent build quality that I'm looking for; plus it's made in Mississippi - er, ah, did I say Mississippi? Oh yeah, I mean the USA. Ha ha. I think they make some good old amps down in Mississippi, all Bovine waste material aside.

Definitely anxiously awaiting the new amph and lucky I have to work the next two days to hopefully keep my mind off it for now.

M29
March 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Great choice Duffy, I think you will be very pleased. :happy

mainestratman
March 17th, 2010, 06:32 AM
My choices came down to either a C30 or a Fender Hotrod.. I went with the Hotrod only because a local guy was selling his (in mint condition) for less than half what they retail for new... and a couple hundred less than what I'd seen other used ones sold for.

Enjoy the C30!

Robert
March 17th, 2010, 07:12 AM
The 65 Deluxe is one of the better Fenders you can find. Great buy!

wingsdad
March 17th, 2010, 07:40 AM
You made a wise decision, Duffy.:AOK

IMHO, you chose unquetionable quality and a company that stands hard behind its products. Hartley Peavey is a stud.

I don't own one, but I've played a C30 many times trying out guitars at my Local GAS Station/Peavey dealer.

Moons ago, in my latter-stage gigging years (mid-70's-early 80's) a Peavey Mace 2x12 was my primary amp, opting for it vs. a Fender Twin. I'd owned & played Fenders earlier on (Deluxe Reverb, Tremolux, Bandmaster, Super) but I felt their amps were kinda spotty at the time, declined in quality vs. the then upstart Peavey company's offerings. Skynrd was using them, and their Strat, Firebird & LP sound thru Peaveys knocked me over. My backup was a 65W SS 1x15 Peavey, I forget the model name off the top of my head. Bass amp was a Peavey SS piggy-back w/ 2x15 cab.

Spudman
March 17th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Don't you have a Delta? If you got the C30 and you also have a Delta then you just got the same amph with a different speaker. I would have bought the Jet City or even the Bugera or a Fender before a C30.

Katastrophe
March 17th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Good choice on the amph, Duffy.

That said, I am a big fan of the AD120VTX. However, unless you're playing out regularly, it's just too much amph. I came *this* close to buying one when I had my band, but decided not to. Turned out to be a good decision.

TS808
March 17th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Having owned a Delta Blues 210 in the past, I think you made a wise choice with the C30. Come to think of it, I owned a C30 about 15 years ago too.

With my Delta Blues, the only mod I made to it was putting a 12DW7 in V2. It tamed the overdrive a bit and took that mid-range growl out of it a bit. Also sounded great though with the original tubes.

Personally, I think the stock speakers in the Peavey Classics sound pretty good, although I know some folks don't care much for the stock speakers.

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Congrats Duff! As you know, I own and love my C-30. Very nice, articulate, warm and versatile tube amp that works great with pedals. Mine I purchased used, and it had Groovetubes (still does) in it. A lot of folks talk to Bob over at Eurotubes and re-tube them depending on taste. Their site has some info on it regarding some choices. But I would wait and see how you like it stock for a while.

Like TS said, some folks change out the speaker, but lots of folks really like the Blue Marvel. I like it myself. Really, a good, well designed and built tube amph for the price. Congrats!

Duff
March 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Yes, I have the Delta Blues and it is a great amp. Came with JJ tubes. Hope this 30 comes with the JJs as well.

I thought about Fender and Bugera and even Jet City but went with the Classic 30 and expect it will have a different sound than my Delta. At least I hope so.

The Fender Blues Junior was my next closest choice but I didn't like the single channel set up because I have a few single channel amps and I like the overdrive channel, especially on my Delta. Hopefully this Classic 30 will have a tonal difference and a drive channel difference when compared A to B to the Delta. I'll check that right away. I can always return it for something else like a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb. But I like the Peavey sound and hope the Classic 30 will add to the tonal variety of my amps and have as good a build quality as the Delta.

I have been playing the Delta a lot lately and like it. I hope the Classsic 30 brings in a new but similar vibe.

Should be here soon.

markb
March 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Classic 30, great choice :AOK