PDA

View Full Version : EL84 V.S. EL34 Tube based amps?

MAXIFUNK
March 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM
So, after reading ZMAN's thread on his possible trade for a new amp.

It made me wonder what is the difference in sound & tone between
a EL84 & EL34 tube based amps given everything else was similar speakers, electronics, power, pre amp etc etc etc?

markb
March 17th, 2010, 03:22 PM
EL34 = Bright, bold and punchy with reasonable headroom in an old school circuit like a Marshall plexi.

EL84 = A little darker and with earlier breakup. Just "grittier" sounding in a similar circuit like an 18 watt Marshall. Completely different in a Vox ACxx circuit because they're running flat out all the time.

As ever, master volumes change everything (largely for the worse IMO).

MAXIFUNK
March 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks MarkB for clearing that up for me very good explanation.

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
EL34 = Bright, bold and punchy with reasonable headroom in an old school circuit like a Marshall plexi.

EL84 = A little darker and with earlier breakup. Just "grittier" sounding in a similar circuit like an 18 watt Marshall. Completely different in a Vox ACxx circuit because they're running flat out all the time.

As ever, master volumes change everything (largely for the worse IMO).

Markb, I take it you would agree that the EL84 description you give would work for a Peavey C-30 as well? I have not played a 18 Watt Marshall, but it sounds pretty close to a description of a 30, though the 30 might have a bit more room before breakup, yes?

markb
March 18th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Well, I had a Delta Blues 210 and I'd say it broke up quite early compared to an EL34 or 6L6 based amp but that it was relative. The amp was already quite loud at the breakup point and certainly had that EL84 grit. My favourite amp for "baby Marshall" tones was my Fender Pro Junior.

I played a C30 recently and it was incredibly lively. Hitting it with an SD-1 sent it way into saturation on the clean channel. My only recourse was to turn it up and control it from the guitar (well, that was my excuse :) ).

MAXIFUNK
March 18th, 2010, 09:45 PM
The Pedavey C30 sounds quit fun!