PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix "Valleys of Neptune"

tremoloman
March 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Anyone buy the new album?

If you do buy the album, get it at Target - their release has 2 bonus tracks not on the official release. I think this is dumb to make a special release but it was on sale at Target for $9.99.

I've listened to a few tracks and so far I'm digging it. :happy

The reissues of his studio albums also come with a bonus DVD discussing each album for about 15 minutes. Is it worth buying the complete set of studio albums all over again for the DVD? I don't think so.

It's great to be back!

Kazz
March 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM
myself I am not that impressed with it.

MAXIFUNK
March 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I have not heard it yet.

My only concern is are the songs something he would have release or are they songs put together by the family of riffs or studio jamming that Jimi would have used to see if he heard a song in there anywhere or something to pull and use in a song any way at all.

Pali Gap is the best song released after Jimi's Death IMHO.

I'll preview before I buy this one.

Katastrophe
March 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Haven't heard the album yet. I think there may be a vid on YouTube that I'll check out first...

It's good to see you back, man! Where ya been? Are you still gigging?

M29
March 17th, 2010, 07:42 PM
trem great to see you back:happy

I saw a CD today at walmart Named Valleys of Neptune for $1.98. There were only two songs on it. I thought this is either miss marked from $11.98 or it is actually $1.98. The songs were Valleys of Neptune and Peace in Mississippi. I took it to the checkout and it was $1.98. I bought it and thought what the heck. Not bad. Not actually thrilling but pretty much anything Hendrix is good with me! It came with a sticker on the cover for a free download of (Red House live at Clark University) Haven't downloaded that yet, afraid I will get blasted with advertising if I did.

All in all it was a good $1.98 but I don't understand why they would put out a CD with just 2 songs on it. Shoot the darn CD case has to cost at least that much.

Looking forward to the rest of it.

M

tjcurtin1
March 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hey, Trem - welcome back! Good to hear from you -

hagarfreak33
March 17th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Anything new is good to hear when your a big fan, the problem with these after death releases is that when the artist was alive there was something about the songs they did not like or weren't finished with so they chose not to release them.
I heard Michael Jackson just made the biggest music deal in history for a record that if he was still alive probably would be ignored because of all his kiddy touching.:thwap
But hey i'll probably buy the Hendrix cd :)

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hi T-man! So nice to see you back! I have interest, but have not gotten around to purchasing or listening to it yet. Glad to hear you like it!

Robert
March 18th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Welcome back, Tremoloman! We missed you. Beer on us! :beer:

Tig
March 18th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I'm a little mixed about it. It is definitely for Hendrix fans only, IMHO.

I like hearing an alternate version of songs that I've listened to hundreds of times previously. There's usually something refreshing about an artist's different take on a solo. The production needs more bass mixed in for many of the songs.

I'm not a huge fan of the way over played Hendrix "hits", like "Purple Haze", "Foxy Lady" and "All Along the Watchtower". His best work was in his blues numbers, and some of the off-beat songs.

The "Valleys of Neptune" title track is a mixed bag. His vocals just don't work, and it feels a bit too flower power-ish for me. EDIT: I realized that there isn't a lead guitar track for any part of the song. Now I know what is missing!

"Stone Free" sounds better than past versions I've heard. "Bleeding Heart" has Jimi's incredible rhythm guitar. The more you listen to Hendrix, the more you realize that his rhythm guitar is where his genius is. This album is worth getting just to study his more subtle techniques, if nothing else. "Red House" is the best of the previously released songs. The long jam "Hear My Train A Comin'" is a close second. "Fire" isn't all that hot with the poor backing vocals.

"Lullaby for the Summer" is a cool instrumental tune. "Crying Blue Rain" starts out bluesy and builds to a rambling, not so coherent tune. "Lover Man" has a cool Hendrix blues groove and is among the best of the "new" stuff. "Ships Passing Through the Night" is OK, but his vocals kill it for me. "Mr. Bad Luck" is also just OK, but it doesn't grab me other than the guitar parts. It sounds more like his pop songs.

Of the two "bonus" tracks (silly, I know), I like "Trash Man" the most. The songs structure is really cool. "Slow Version" starts out really well with a nice blues groove, but half way in, it becomes a solo that loses interest by the end.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the "Sunshine of Your Love" instrumental cover. I really like Jimi's interpretation of it. I can almost hear his saying, "this is how I groove to it, baby." I only wish he didn't play the palm muted drum rhythm for over 2 minutes in the middle of the song. This kinda' killed the flow.

guitarhack
March 18th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I've ordered mine from ear x-tacy in Louisville. Support your local record stores!

tremoloman
March 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone! Thanks for the kind and welcoming words!

I got laid off after working 12 hard years for the same employer which is pretty much unheard of nowadays. I've been without a job for 5 weeks and IT IS KILLING ME. However, I now have some free time and wanted to get back in touch with my roots!

My band fell apart after some issues with my lead singer. I'm in the process of putting together another band but with the job situation that must supersede everything else at this time.

I know I've said it before but this time I mean it - I'M BACK! I missed talking to all of you and look forward to meething those who I haven't had the pleasure of speaking to yet.

Keep on jammin'

-Trem

Tig
March 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone! Thanks for the kind and welcoming words!
-Trem

Hey Trem,
Nice to meet you. I'm relatively new to the Fret, but really enjoy the community here that is missing in other forums. I've was layed of between July and January, but nailed my first interview (yes, it took 6 months) and got a great job. Things are starting to pick up in the job market, so hang in there. If you haven't already, make sure to get the unemployment rolling. I never had to use it in the past, but swallowed my pride to make sure the bills didn't get behind.

My time off allowed me to build my skills and research some gear, but obviously, not buy any. Take advantage and enjoy the stress reduction of simply playing. Before you know it, you'll be working again! :poke

marnold
March 18th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Sorry to hear about the job situation, Trem, but it's good to have you back. Hopefully things will come around soon.

player
March 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM
myself I am not that impressed with it.I AM the more you listen to it the more you realize what a versitle guitarist he was.Valleys while not really thrilled by it was in fact a tune he and Billy Cox played in NJ clubs after the Army where they met and became good friends.the rest Tig nails pretty accurately. Thanks! good liner notes too.
FYI - mine came from Lexington,Ky
yup Hendrix fan here.
still have many albums on vinyl :AOK

msteeln
March 19th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Try the recent release from da vault - http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/band-of-gypsys/concerts/fillmore-east-january-01-1970-late-show.html
From roughly the same time frame as the VON CD, this will help give a good counterpart to where Jimi's head was, with Machine Gun the centerpiece.