PDA

View Full Version : Used Yamaha FG-411S... update: NTMGD!

poodlesrule
March 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM
There is a used Yamaha FG-411S for sale near me.
It would be my first acoustic.

Anybody with a knowledge of Yamaha in that range to comment or advice me?

$100 with case (gig bag?), stand BTW.

Heywood Jablomie
March 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Yamahas are pretty much on par with other MIC acoustics in that price range ($250 new). So, for 100 bucks, you can't go wrong.

poodlesrule
March 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Well, it is NTMGD!

Yea!

The Yamaha is home and looks and sounds very good!

Now I need to learn how to care for it: cleaning all around (freshening up, no grime or anything), certainly new strings.

Strings; what are choices suitable for a beginner acoustic player..?

wingsdad
March 18th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Stolen for $100.

I have a '96 12-string relative, FG411CE-12, (the CE = Cutaway, Electric)bought new in '96 for about $500 w/ top-of-line hardcase. Made in Taiwan, vs. mainland China, but since they play better Little League baseball in Taiwan, even LL World Series Champs, they're higher-end products.

Brian Krashpad
March 19th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Stolen for $100.

I have a '96 12-string relative, FG411CE-12, (the CE = Cutaway, Electric)bought new in '96 for about $500 w/ top-of-line hardcase. Made in Taiwan, vs. mainland China, but since they play better Little League baseball in Taiwan, even LL World Series Champs, they're higher-end products.

I have a much older all-acoustic Yammy 12-string, also Taiwan-made. I found it in a pawn for $150. It's beat up cosmetically but sounds fantastic, even when you really bang on it-- gets real loud. I've played it in a small church un-mic'd.

Congrats to poodlesrule!

Now, pics or it didn't happen. :AOK

wingsdad
March 19th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Strings; what are choices suitable for a beginner acoustic player..?

Sorry, missed that question...

I recommend that you go with an 'extra-light' gauge - easier to finger cleanly needing a bit lit pressure - and if you're accustomed to playing an electric, these will be closer in feel to what you're used to and the transition back & forth will be less dramatic:
D'addario EJ115 (http://store.daddario.com/category/144848/EJ15_Extra_Light_10-47)
Once you get comfortable handling yourself on the acoustic with these, then you might want to move up a notch to Light gauge. You'll get a bit more volume and fuller tone. But those aren't a priority when you're a beginner.

Your FG411 is probably strung with light gauge, so, moving to the lighter gauge may require a bit of setup work, particularly, truss rod adjustment.

And since you're looking for advice on care & maintenance of your new toy, I suggest you make friends with a local independent (not big box) music store that can take care of that re-stringing and t/r tweak as well as showing you the basics and recommending products.

poodlesrule
March 19th, 2010, 07:41 AM
No pics right now but I provide proof! Label: "Made by Kaohsyiung Yamaha Co. Ltd in Taiwan in accordance with Yamaha Corporation specifications".

So it is Taiwan-made. I emailed Yamaha Support with serial number to figure when made, you never know there may be a recall...!

On string peg was sticking out a bit from the rest. I learned more about pegs and sting ball placement (new to me), and re-seated it properly. I may want to rig a small mirror to get acquainted with the inside of body.

This guitar is going to be great as there is a little bit more effort and focus needed to strum correctly. Frankly I wish I had bought an acoustic earlier, quite pleasant..!

sunvalleylaw
March 19th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Congrats PR! It is a lot of fun to play on acoustics, and good for you too!