PDA

View Full Version : Ripping CDs to MP3s - what do you use and which settings work best?

tremoloman
March 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone!

I was curious... what software do you use to convert audio CDs to MP3s?

I've used a program called Audiograbber 1.83 for years and its really simple to use. The thing I don't like about it is that the database it pulls the data for the ID tagging is sometimes not that good in comparison to what WinAmp uses. I still use it regularly but I'm looking to find a more modern ripper with better ID3 information.

I experimented with WinAmp Pro. I like to rip MP3s at the best audio quality possible with VBR (variable bit rates) using the LAME enconder but with WinAmp it has so many settings I get confused what to set it to.

If any of you would be so kind to post your program of choice and settings I'd greatly appreciate it!

Take care,
Trem

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I rip as MP3s using iTunes at the highest settings available through that program.

Commodore 64
March 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I've used CD-EX for years using alt--preset-extreme, VBR 128 - 320.

Spudman
March 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I use CDex. It's free as well. It connects to pretty good CDDBs so I get all the info I want.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

M29
March 18th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I don't know anything about it but I use CDex. One thing that bugs me is that is don't carry the name of the songs it just ripped.

MAXIFUNK
March 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
roxio works really well.

FrankenFretter
March 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
If you want the best quality MP3s, use Exact Audio Copy. You'll also have to download Lame MP3 encoder, if you don't already have in on your machine. Both programs are free, btw.

tremoloman
March 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
If you want the best quality MP3s, use Exact Audio Copy. You'll also have to download Lame MP3 encoder, if you don't already have in on your machine. Both programs are free, btw.

What settings do you use to get the closest to lossless sound?

I always try to make my MP3s as close to the real CD in sound quality. I don't mind if my MP3s are a little larger in size as long as the audio quality is good.

I'll give CDex and EAC try tonight and compare them to Audiograbber.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Commodore 64
March 18th, 2010, 03:14 PM

CdEX uses the same LAME encoder and presets that EAC does.

Kazz
March 18th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I use either windows media player or media monkey

Eric
March 19th, 2010, 06:06 AM
+11 on this one. I've tried many many many programs for this throughout the years, and EAC is by far my favorite. Simple, clean, effective, and the best quality with the best codec, and FREE.

Then again, now that I'm on Linux I use different software, but EAC/Lame is hands-down my favorite windows-based ripping/encoding software.

deeaa
March 19th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I have used many a program, but of late I've just used the windows mediaplayer.

I just set it to 320 and point to a suitable folder and let it rip...easy to set it so that you only need to keep inserting new CD's and it'll add them to library and find the covers and info off the net too.

I did a major conversion project a few years back, just kept feeding my CD's into my two optical drives and let it rip them automatically...still took days to convert roughly 700 CD's.

I use iTunes to manage my bigger iPod and YamiPod to manage the smaller one, but I don't let any program to control where and how to arrange the files. I've arranged them myself to categories:

Rock
Non-rock
Children
Classical

Rock includes also heavy etc, and non-rock includes stuff like Dire Straits and, you know, Clapton etc. the rest are quite self-evident.

Of late it's pretty rare for me to come accross CD's no more, but if I do, windows player rips 'em just fine for my purposes.