PDA

View Full Version : A Good 1st Acoustic?

MAXIFUNK
March 19th, 2010, 10:22 PM
My sister-in-law is going to start taking guitar lessons real soon.
She asked me what would be a good 1st acoustic guitar.
I have no knowledge what so ever in that world at all so I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on where to start with her search.

I figured a small body style guitar would be best and not a super flat neck but after that I am dead in the water. I know the big Brand names like most folks Martin & Taylor. But I have no idea if their low ends guitars are as good as some other brands which thrive in that area. I also told her to expect to spend from $300.00 to $1000.00 USD which she has no problem with. Although honestly I think the 300-600 range would be more than enough.

So once again thanks in advance for your input, time and expertise.

Tig
March 19th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I'd look at the Yamaha FS720S (http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=553439&CTID=5064900). Small body, and better quality than it's under $300 price tag might indicate. It comes in 5 colors (Natural, Black, Brown Sunburst, Dusk Sun Red, and Ocean Blue Burst), and sounds really solid. I liked how the neck felt as well.

I played one a few days ago, and it fit my needs for a future acoustic. I've been scrounging around pawn shops lately, but the only good find was a Guild for $700, which is out of my price range.

Dig around for some reviews.

Robert
March 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I got a cheap SX acoustic from Rondo, and it did me just fine. I think I payed around $150 for it.

sunvalleylaw
March 19th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Blueridge is making some very nice guitars for +/- $500. Maybe more than you want to spend for a first, and you might be able to find them for less, but they are pretty nice by all reports. Here is a 000 size, rosewood/spruce that looks pretty darn nice.

http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=BR-63&CategoryID=2&FamilyID=2&BrandID=5

And here it is for $400:

http://www.instrumentalley.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BR-63&click=35

EDIT: Some reviews here.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/016726.html

t_ross33
March 19th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Washburn D10 :french

mainestratman
March 20th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I really like the Ibanez acoustic/electrics.. especially since they started coming with on-board tuners... $300-$400 range.

Kazz
March 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Washburn EA20 is a good small body acoustic.....Shiner has one, Keel sold one recently....and Strum had one that went to Shiner I think :-)

ep-Bz3WSg3k

mainestratman
March 20th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Frank uses a Washburn.. and Yamaha. :-)

wingsdad
March 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM
...I think the 300-600 range would be more than enough.

Absolutely.

Lots of options by Yamaha, Ibanez, Washburn (or Oscar Schmidt), Epiphone, Ovation Celebrity series...

What size are her hands?

MAXIFUNK
March 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Absolutely.

Lots of options by Yamaha, Ibanez, Washburn (or Oscar Schmidt), Epiphone, Ovation Celebrity series...

What size are her hands?

small but slender fingers.

kidsmoke
March 20th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Washburn D10 :french

+1

pes_laul
March 20th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I bought a seagull S6 slim for around 350$ http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Slim-Dreadnaught?sku=512360

I got it about fifty bucks cheaper at the local music store.

But this is probably my favorite acoustic Ive played. it plays and sounds great.

markb
March 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Have a look at Crafters. The better Corts are good (Parkwood?). Walden make some nice OM styles. Blueridge make cool prewar Martin copies. For really cheap, the Johnson Carolina guitars (might be Recording King brand in the US) are good too, a decent OM28 copy for NZ$700? Oh, yes! For that pre-war blues vibe there's the Epiphone EL-00. I'd take any of these guitars over the "formica" Martins. Go for at least a solid top.

Any low(ish) end acoustic is easily cheered up by the addition of a properly cut bone (or Tusq) saddle (and nut, but do the saddle first). A small upgrade cost which easily pays for itself in performance improvement. I wouldn't get hung up on electronics either, a good small Korg tuner will cost less than the premium for a preamp with internal tuner and it'll work better.

wingsdad
March 20th, 2010, 03:48 PM
small but slender fingers.

I suggest considering an Ovation Celebrity. Slim, narrow neck, with a hint of 'soft V' shape, virtually like playing an electric rather than most acoutics. Easy to maintain. Super-Shallow bowl (thinnest of 3 depth options) may br most comfortable to handle. $300-$500 street, depending on model, bling level and whether Chinese or Korean. Hardcase, if needed, adds about $100. A decent thickly padded gigbag for $50 or less might be enough to haul to lessons.

That, or a 3/4 scale. Oscar Schmidt by Wahsburn makes a nice one for under $200 stree.

Zip
March 20th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Excellent suggestions above, let me add another:

Regardless of brand, for a learner/first you need easy action and a guitar that'll stay in tune. She won't be concerned about great tone until way later.

MAXIFUNK
March 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks, guys at least now I have some info to start her search.

Although I do have to admit I was surprised that Washburn where so well liked.

sunvalleylaw
March 22nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks, guys at least now I have some info to start her search.

Although I do have to admit I was surprised that Washburn where so well liked.

Lots of guys came over from the Washburn forum, so there is some history there. If you look at the Washburns, remember the D10 is a dreadnought, so from what you were saying, you will want to look at smaller models.

P.S. Here is a vid of a young woman playing her new Blueridge BR-63, a 000 size.

69h0VQdZFeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69h0VQdZFeY

MAXIFUNK
March 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
SVL,

000 size is made by most manufactures?

sunvalleylaw
March 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
I believe so.

markb
March 22nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
SVL,

000 size is made by most manufactures?

Most acoustic guitar makers just copy Martin's sizing except for the huge "Jumbo" guitars. We have Gibson to blame for those. Here's a (very) rough guide. Anything smaller than OOO/OM tends to get called a "parlour guitar" these days.

http://www.start-playing-guitar.com/acoustic-guitar-guide.html

street music
March 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Forget the rest just go to Carvin,com and check out the great buy on the Cobalt Acoustic they are very nice.

MAXIFUNK
March 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Most acoustic guitar makers just copy Martin's sizing except for the huge "Jumbo" guitars. We have Gibson to blame for those. Here's a (very) rough guide. Anything smaller than OOO/OM tends to get called a "parlour guitar" these days.

http://www.start-playing-guitar.com/acoustic-guitar-guide.html

Thanks, MarkB
Great link helped me out greatly.

Katastrophe
March 22nd, 2010, 05:56 PM
I was impressed with the Washburn I played recently, but couldn't tell you the model...

I also enjoyed a Seagull as well recently. Both models were in your price range, and played well.

laocmo
March 30th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Check out the Silver Creek and Recording King line of 000-size guitars in the $200-$300 range. These are fine sounding guitars and very inexpensive. Pay someone who knows what they are doing to set them up, maybe $50 or less, with good phosphor bronze light gauge strings. You might find that you won't need to upgrade to a better one as she learns. I have both guitars. And to my ears they sound and play as good if not better than guitars I recently replaced costing a thousand bucks more.

Kazz
March 30th, 2010, 11:53 AM
The Washburn EA20 is a very nice smaller guitar.

GuitarAcademy
July 12th, 2010, 10:24 AM
A Kona K2 is one Ive recommended many times over the years with players playing them still 5-6 years later. Just get someone to do a nice setup when you first get it and you'll be very pleased.

GA

Tig
July 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Slight revision...
Most any guitar from Godin (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman) is worth a demo.
:canada: