PDA

View Full Version : Straps with adapter loop..?

poodlesrule
March 20th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I apparently never gave much thought or attention to acoustics straps. Noob!

Any other (no-drilling) option other than the adapter loop by the headstock?

Several adapter loops out there, are they much better than, say, a leather shoelace?

Spudman
March 20th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't use a leather shoe lace. They have tendency to break. Almost anything else works well especially if you can find something that color matches your strap. I think the shoe lace/boot lace thing is fine. It does no harm to the guitar and has been shown to be effective requiring no mods to the guitar.

wingsdad
March 20th, 2010, 09:14 AM
The strong shoelace thing works fine, but you're kinda stuck with leaving the strap on, which might be an issue fitting the guitar in the case since the strap most likely will have to be laid on top of the guitar... For $4 I suggest one of these:
Planet Waves Quick Release (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DAD-DGS15)

otaypanky
March 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
This might work for you ~

http://www.wwbw.com/Martin-Guitar-Strap-Button-420127-i1133319.wwbw

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I had one of those Martin strap buttons. Still do actually. But I don't really like having the torque of the strap on the neck up by the headstock, and frankly feel better with a strap button on the horn. YMMV. The Martin one seemed to work well, overall. But one night, the strap came off the button when I was walking between campfires, and BONK! Good thing it was my campfire guitar. I guess if I was going to without a strap button (using at least rubber beer bottle gaskets or similar as locks), I would go with the tie on or planet waves option.

markb
March 20th, 2010, 10:13 PM
The Planet Waves quick release bootlace is neat. If using a normal bootlace go for a strong nylon one, not leather. Eventually I got a hole drilled in my Gibson's heel.

Or there's this, if you can stand the look. http://www.millerguitarstrap.com/

otaypanky
March 20th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I agree, I think there's too much leverage multiplied by the length of the neck to tie on to a headstock. I put strap buttons at the neck heel on my Martins.

I had one of those Martin strap buttons. Still do actually. But I don't really like having the torque of the strap on the neck up by the headstock, and frankly feel better with a strap button on the horn. YMMV. The Martin one seemed to work well, overall. But one night, the strap came off the button when I was walking between campfires, and BONK! Good thing it was my campfire guitar. I guess if I was going to without a strap button (using at least rubber beer bottle gaskets or similar as locks), I would go with the tie on or planet waves option.

poodlesrule
March 25th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Bumping the thread to ask:
Is installing a strap button prone to mistakes, like hitting a metal bolt, on the heel of the neck?

I think I read about checking with a strong magnet or such.

markb
March 25th, 2010, 05:03 PM
What guitar? Only some acoustics have bolted necks like Taylors. Most are joined to the end block with a traditional dovetail. As long as the pilot hole is drilled into a suitably substantial part of the heel and is deep enough, no worries.
I'd take it to a pro who can do it with his eyes closed. I've never been charged more than the cost of the button (and maybe the price of a beer) for this job and I've had it done in at least three different places.