PDA

View Full Version : Pick and Tell

syo
March 21st, 2010, 03:18 AM
I have a new favorite pick line, the Dava. Love the feel and sound from them.
This got me thinking of my last favorite pick the V pick (which replaced my earlier favorite the Big Stubby). Still like the V-picks but after awhile I became too concious of the "tick, tick, tick" sound that came from them. So now I'm digging Dava.

Now my questions. I remember the considerable V-Pick enthusiasm here some while back and wonder if it is the main pick for anyone out there? Also is it most common amongst you all to:

1). be more or less monogamous in your picking life?

2). have a long term steady pick but sometimes feel a need to have something new on the side?

3). tend to, well... pick around?

And now a question to myself. "do you have too much time on your hands today"? Answer: Sure sounds like it... :tongue:

Tig
March 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM
I use the 2.0 mm Big Stubby primarily.
Sometimes I use the small Stubby red jazz pick for a little side action.

mainestratman
March 21st, 2010, 08:15 AM
Dunlop Tortex .88mm for me, please (the green one). Any thinner and I break them. Any thicker, I break strings. I like the feel of the Tortex.. slightly textured, so it's less likely to slip out of my fingers.

Plus, it has a turtle on it. That's just cool. :-)

markb
March 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM
Fender heavies plus the nails on my 2nd and 3rd fingers.

otaypanky
March 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM
I tried the V-Picks a few years back and was surprised at how I liked them. At the time I had been using orange tortex picks, pretty flexible. To go to such a thick stiff pick was a big change, but after playing with one for 20-30 minutes, it felt odd to go back to a thin one. I made a number of my own picks from a motorcycle helmet face shield, and some from old silver 25 and 50 cent pieces. Now I use a variety of home made, Tortex, Ultem, and V-Pick. Trying the V-Picks was great because it made me much more aware of picking attack, a relaxed grip, and how much my right hand contributes to my overall sound

marnold
March 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM
Played with Fender Mediums forever until I tried a V-Pick Screamer. Haven't looked back.

Robert
March 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM
The best picks I have are Brossard Picks and V-picks.

syo
March 21st, 2010, 08:03 PM
I just checked out the Brossard picks. They look very interesting. Think I'll order a variety pack today.

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM
I end up using most often Dunlop Ultex 1.0 for about everything. I have a couple V picks that I like, but I lose things like picks, so I like to feel comfortable with readily replaceable picks.

bcdon
March 21st, 2010, 08:13 PM
I use a 1 meter pick when I'm strumming this bad boy.
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/10/10/guitar-boat.jpg

sumitomo
March 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM

Wow those Brossard Picks look cool,but I don't have enough cleavage for them.Sumi:D:french

Tig
March 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I use the 2.0 mm Big Stubby primarily.
Sometimes I use the small Stubby red jazz pick for a little side action.

Ordered a few Medium Pointed V-Picks to see what the fuss is about. ;)

player
March 24th, 2010, 12:48 AM
have not tried the V picks or Brossard Picks however do have what they call cool picks.some have a gripper like sandpaper to hold em and ave these things called surfpicks(made of a special wood) that's right Wood.you'd never know it though these things are tough and smooth.
did I mention expensive because of the type wood used?
here:http://surfpick.com/
I have and use standard once in a while if I can't find a cool pick.for this kind of dough guess I should use it/them more.Canada you are out of luck as it reads in the link.

sumitomo
March 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM
You know when I was in South America,I was shown all kinds of cool Hardwood's I've never seen or heard of before.I'll remember to bring some back next time.I only know the name's of these woods in Spanish.Sumi:D

Commodore 64
March 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I have a 1.0 Ultex pick, some purple tortex picks (~ 1 I think) and Fender Mediums. I seem to use those more often than others.

Tig
March 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM
You know when I was in South America,I was shown all kinds of cool Hardwood's I've never seen or heard of before.I'll remember to bring some back next time.I only know the name's of these woods in Spanish.Sumi:D

I've seen plenty of carvings in Mexico made from "iron wood", but I don't know of any other names for it. That stuff is very hard to work with, so it would make a strong pick material.