PDA

View Full Version : hey again

Bigbear
November 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
sorry people, been out for a while. Got a new job as a Luthier at a guitarshop in town and college has been absolutely insane. In the mean time, anybody here play metal? I've been getting back into it again... flashback to highschool.. my email is sn0wfly@hotmail.com... add me to yer msn people... especailly you swede we seem to be looking at these forums at the same time.

Myles
November 22nd, 2005, 01:04 PM
Welcome back. Congrats on the new job! Ya, college never seems to ever slow down, but you'll miss it once its done, I guarantee. What are you taking?

Tim
November 22nd, 2005, 01:05 PM
In what town? I need to know a good luthier.

Bigbear
November 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
hey ya... i'm taking civil engineering and i live in Saint John Newbrunswick... you'd have to go though the shop to get work ordered though

Nelskie
November 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
Aaah yes . . . glorious metal. So many flavours to choose from, tho', Bear. Are you into early 80's metal, i.e. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jake E. Lee era Ozzy, Dio, Dokken, early Def Leppard, etc.? That's the stuff that got the ball rollin' for me. :)

marnold
November 22nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
I'm with Nelskie. Big 80s metal fan. Of course, I can't play much of it yet, but I'm working on it :)

Robert
November 22nd, 2005, 09:21 PM
Nelskie, I was into that stuff a lot when I was young. It helped me realize I needed to get cleaner execution in my playing; I played very sloppy before I heard those guys. (I still play sloppy, but at least I'm aware of it :) )

Nelskie
November 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
Hey Robert - maybe we should start an 80's metal thread?!! From the guitar-playing standpoint, the players from that era don't get near the respect they deserve. It seems, at least to me, that many folks simply try and can 80's metal music completely under the "shred" or "glam" categories, virtually overlooking some of the astounding talent that was out there. Guys like Vivian Campbell (Dio), George Lynch (Dokken), Jake E. Lee (Ozzy, Badlands) Warren DiMartini (Ratt), and of course the zen master, Eddie Van Halen, all have influenced my playing in various capacities - technique, tone, arrangement, etc. I think anyone who started playing in or around that time will cite metal as a primary influence, and I personally am very proud of my 80's metal "roots". :D

Tim
November 23rd, 2005, 01:44 PM
I never really got into metal either. This forum could change my mind. I will monitor.

Katastrophe
November 23rd, 2005, 02:17 PM
80's metal rocks! For enjoyment of just pure, unadulterated, mind blowing speed, check out Racer X's "Second Heat." They do it all. It's like a one album guitar solo clinic. Harmony runs, sweeps, string skipping, tapping, whammy stuff, harmonic minor scales, it's all there. WARNING: Skip the lyrics. Some of that stuff has more cheese than a box of Velveeta, but good stuff nonetheless.

Bigbear
November 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM
yeah, i l'm into the 70s and 80s metal more than newer stuff
L.A. Guns, Iron Maiden, black sabbath, Motorhead, that kinda stuff.
Nice to know some reformed metalheads :D

tremoloman
November 25th, 2005, 06:47 PM
sorry people, been out for a while. Got a new job as a Luthier at a guitarshop in town and college has been absolutely insane. In the mean time, anybody here play metal? I've been getting back into it again... flashback to highschool.. my email is sn0wfly@hotmail.com... add me to yer msn people... especailly you swede we seem to be looking at these forums at the same time.

You are a luthier? How does one get started in that field?

As for metal, I'm a metal fan... we do a few metal tunes in my cover band (Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Ozzy, Motorhead). I love all kinds of music, but it is 80s metal that gave me the desire to learn how to play. :) Oh, and Jimi of course!

Bigbear
March 19th, 2006, 06:51 PM
yea, my familys generation after generation carpenters and i've been doing wood work with my father since i was 10, it just kinda came naturally i suppose. I was a sales man at the guitarshop and asked them if i could use their shop to do some work on a friends guitar... they saw the quality of work and was amazed... so i got a job as a luther.

right now I am specializing in neck design and pickup wiring.

got a quarter-sawn tele neck done up for a in-house one-off prototype... feels good to have my name on the back of the headstock of something worth $3000.

neck has a U shape but the bulk of a Gibson, 12" fretboard radius, 1.75" nut width, bone nut and dunlop JUMBO/Thin frets. for big mother****ers like myself, their hands can easily pluck away on this neck.

marnold
March 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM
There is music other than 80s metal?

Katastrophe
March 19th, 2006, 08:14 PM
yea, my familys generation after generation carpenters and i've been doing wood work with my father since i was 10, it just kinda came naturally i suppose. I was a sales man at the guitarshop and asked them if i could use their shop to do some work on a friends guitar... they saw the quality of work and was amazed... so i got a job as a luther.

right now I am specializing in neck design and pickup wiring.

got a quarter-sawn tele neck done up for a in-house one-off prototype... feels good to have my name on the back of the headstock of something worth $3000.

neck has a U shape but the bulk of a Gibson, 12" fretboard radius, 1.75" nut width, bone nut and dunlop JUMBO/Thin frets. for big mother****ers like myself, their hands can easily pluck away on this neck.

I envy your talent, sir! I would love to do a bolt on neck build up from some planks of wood and other raw materials... Unfortunately, my lack of ability (and a need to keep all of my fingers) surpasses my enthusiasm for such a project.

I tried to build a birdhouse once. Three days, near heatstroke and $100.00 in materials later, I had a pile of very ugly scrap wood. My family still gives me grief over that fiasco, some 12 years ago.:(

Bigbear
March 19th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Gotta keep at it man. Your first attempt never turns out just how you woulda liked to be. It takes years of practice to get things right the first time around.

Tim
March 20th, 2006, 05:09 AM
I tried to build a birdhouse once. Three days, near heatstroke and $100.00 in materials later, I had a pile of very ugly scrap wood. My family still gives me grief over that fiasco, some 12 years ago.:(

Katastrphe - Did you ever hang the birdhouse? Birds do not care what it looks like. As long as it has a hole that they can climb into. Maybe your fiasco could of been the newest in birdhouse design.