PDA

View Full Version : Over the counter cleaning products and electric guitars...

Martinguy
March 21st, 2010, 10:45 AM
I'm referring to stuff like Pledge wipes, etc.

Any of you who have tried using them to clean and shine up your electric guitars...what was your experience?

I've heard some people say to never use them because they will harm your guitar finish. But then others have testified that they used stuff like Pledge for years with no negative experience whatsoever.

I would prefer 1st hand experience...rather then what you think the outcome will be. But any comments are welcome.

Thanks!~

Spudman
March 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
I've been using Pledge or something similar since 1975 and have no issues to report on either acoustics or electrics. I also have used several types of automotive paste waxes and no problems there either using them on a non porous body. However, several wax formulas have been changed over the years so it might pay to check ingredients on each just to make sure you get something that is mild. I also use a simple cleaner like Simple Green on my heavily clear coated maple necks to get all the sticky stuff off. On rosewood boards I don't use that because it can be a little to extreme for a porous surface. I do use a very small bit of mild face soap like Ivory on a damp wash cloth to clean a rosewood board if it gets real gunky. These days it's mainly Pledge or something similar on a sealed body and a light cleanser on the neck. Ernie Ball makes a great product called Wonder Wipes if you are still unsure about what to use.

markb
March 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM
If your guitar has a modern polyurethane or polyester finish, no worries. Over at tdpri.com there are numerous diy threads on the difficulties of removing a poly finish even if you want to. My strat' has a chip in the finish which looks about 1mm deep and it hasn't even broken the paint, just the clear coats.

mainestratman
March 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM
I used to use Simple Green, undiluteds, to clean my guitars.. these days is the Fantasik with Oxy (I think.. it's a blue bottle.. smells nice).