PDA

View Full Version : It's a good problem to have, and I need your help...

R.B. Huckleberry
March 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM
OK, here it is as succinctly as I can put it:

Started a new job March 1st.

Had to become licensed for this job. They paid for it. No sweat.

BUT: instead of the 45 days they told me I would have, they hand me a Massachusetts Life Health & Disability Insurance book on March 3rd...and tell me my exams are on March 19th. :eyetwitch:

'Bout 2 weeks. and this book is massive.

My entire life goes on hold: work 9 or 10 hours, go home, eat, study, pass out at midnight or later. Repeat.

The wife says "tell you what: you pass these on the first try, and you can get a guitar. ANYTHING. Sky's the limit".

So...I passed on my first try. And we went to the stores to browse. NArrowed it down...

1) PRS Singlecut 245: white with gold hardware. Sounds amazing. Priced to move (I think the shop is getting out of the PRS biz. They have been slow moving the last 2 years) at $1999 (down from $2795). I played this one for a long while. The wife wants me to get it. They discontinued the model, and it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

2) G&L SC-2: custom color, a sort of burgundy purple/red. I have one in baby blue, some of you have seen & heard it. This guitar model is one of my all time favorites. I could take the 2 of them to a gig (one for backup). $1050.

3) Martin D-18: I love my D-15 all mahogany satin finished acoustic, but I want a more "traditional MArtin, too. And the sound difference justifies having both to an extent. Also $1999.

Decisions, decisions (I have more fun at this stage than at any time after purchase, I think. LOL)...

Spudman
March 21st, 2010, 09:40 PM
Boy! I'd hate to be in your shoes. I'm going to let you sweat this out on your own. Best of luck. :poke

otaypanky
March 21st, 2010, 09:56 PM
Getting a second G&L doesn't sound like the way to go to me, although I confess I have multiple versions of guitars. Something different, the PRS or the Martin, might give you more variety. If I were in your shoes, I would give considerable weight to what input my wife had, in you case the PRS ~
And they are sensational guitars
Whichever way you go, it sounds like a win, a win, or a win situation ~ LOL

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM
Since I don't have the G&L, that one caught my eye, but you have one. I say skip that. D-18's are nice, but you have a Martin hog, so why not go rosewood/spruce? Say a (EDIT, correct from saying D-18) D-28 or better yet, a HD-28 if you go acoustic? But really, the PRS sounds great, you love it, it is a great deal on that model, and your wife wants you to get it. Might be the winner. You have to make final choice though.

Tig
March 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM
Variety is the spice of guitar playing, so I'd choose something that wasn't already covered by what you already own.

Oh, the PRS Singlecut would be my pick if it was my choice. :DR

FrankenFretter
March 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
Being a recent single-cut convert and junkie, the PRS gets my vote too, fwiw.

Kazz
March 22nd, 2010, 04:21 AM
I will play devil's advocate.....did you try any Les Paul's? You should at least try one of those $799 solid mahogany Les Paul's before you make up your mind and then since you have her blessing....buy the most expensive one that makes your heart skip a beat.....that will be the TRUE once in a lifetime deal. She may not say yes again :-)

duhvoodooman
March 22nd, 2010, 05:08 AM
The PRS, definitely. Go with something new--the other two are variations on what you already have.

M29
March 22nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
PRS :poke

Monkus
March 22nd, 2010, 05:34 AM
Congrats on passing the exam ! If you can do that, this should be peanuts! LOL!!!

PRS vote from me ... or maybe a Carvin carvedtop...

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/carvedtop.php

so maybe you can get an M9 as well ...

http://line6.com/m9/

Tig
March 22nd, 2010, 05:52 AM
... or maybe a Carvin carvedtop...

so maybe you can get an M9 as well ...

Mmmmmm, Carvin. Ah, but PRS is like an Aston Martin. Life can be cruel!

M9 is good. M13 is great!
M13 allows you to place the OD effects before the amp, and run the rest of the effects through the amp's effects loop. That is what I call, "well thought out".
M13 will also keep you warm in winter, cool in summer, and ups your IQ by 50%. :cool:

Katastrophe
March 22nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Out of the three listed, I would go for the PRS, for the reasons listed above.

However, I would seriously give Carvin a hard look. For less money, you can get top end quality, and a guitar that is built especially for you.

MichaelE
March 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Sky's the limit she says?

Rick Turner Model 1 C-LB. Broaden your horizons some...:AOK

wingsdad
March 22nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Sky's the Limit, she says...:socool

Even though I'm a G&L fan, why not go for the PRS and the Martin and figure out a way to rationalize it...like a thank-you gift for your wife for bestowing such carte blanche upon you in support of your success?:luvit

Robert
March 22nd, 2010, 08:20 AM
Good problems you are having, dude!

I'd go for the Martin.

mainestratman
March 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Congrats on passing and having one of the coolest wives ever!

I'd go with the PRS... White with gold is NOT my idea of a sexy guitar, but you like how it sounds, you played it a lot, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity AND the wife likes it?

Yeah. No-brainer there.

rylanmartin
March 22nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Sheesh...I just passed the LLQP first try this month and my wife told me I need to think of selling a guitar or two....

*sigh*

MAXIFUNK
March 22nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
PRS

I love the idea of saving almost a grand on a great guitar which very few people may have.

piebaldpython
March 22nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
PRS since you already have a G & L. No brainer esp because the wife said that one too.

mrmudcat
March 29th, 2010, 12:07 AM
:thwap carvin cali s.c...........errr.........prs I mean

Duff
March 29th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Don't rule out a nice Fender Deluxe Strat or American; and the Gibson LPs are probably a great choice, but I would jump on it and get a higher up model than the 799 one, probably a LP Standard or above. Strats are really nice to have in your stable, or even a real nice Telecaster Deluxe or one of the other beautiful strats. I just got a special issue FMT HH Telecaster with mahogany neck with two open coil Seymour Duncan humbuckers in it, a Pearly Gates in the bridge and a reverse wound 59 in the neck. Light and fantastic in black cherry burst flammed, set mahogany neck Fender Telecaster, and it plays super great and sounds incredible.

R.B. Huckleberry
April 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
And the winner is....

A Dr. Z Monza head in SURF GREEN!!!!

This is an AMAZING amp!!!!!

DeanEVO_Dude
April 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM
And the winner is....

Wasn't even on the list! :rotflmao: :beer:

Katastrophe
April 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I'll be the first to say it:

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

Congrats, man. I'll bet you're gonna love that amph for a long time!

R.B. Huckleberry
April 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Wasn't even on the list! :rotflmao: :beer:

Um...er...

mrmudcat
April 18th, 2010, 04:13 PM
And the winner is....

pics ...now............:socool

DeanEVO_Dude
April 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Um...er...

It's ok, it's a gear-hound's perogative to change his/her mind (many times, if necessary) at any point in the process prior to handing the money attendant (sometime it even extends for a specified period of time after that, as well)!

Nice choice. :bravo: