PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Fender Telecaster Esquire korea model......

Hardass blues
March 24th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Celtic to be exact. Very kool gunmetal Grey with Celtic inlay at the twelfth fret and minimal vibe all the way around. Kind of a shredder type set neck (larger frets than standard) and a lone volume knob.I'm waiting on the p-rails pickup and a SD triple shot humbucker ring. Was wondering if anyone has used this pickup yet. I will have just one knob on this and was wondering which is the best cap for use with the p-rails. I will probably use a Sprague .22 orange drop for starters. Hoping this will work good on the p-rails as it splits from a humbucker to a p-90 and a single blade single coil. Any opinions/ ideas are appreciated. thanks,J.H.

sunvalleylaw
March 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
No idea for you really on the pups, but would love to see pics!

mainestratman
March 25th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I Googled it..

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_YeJzt63xtWM/Soxd4hf6eoI/AAAAAAAAA8k/_BpLkTPiC8E/s512/FEN-CelticEsquire.jpg

marnold
March 25th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I had one just like that except it was the Strat version instead of the Tele. I too toyed with the idea of putting a P-Rails in there with a Duncan Triple-Shot. Are you putting in a concentric pot so you can have both a volume and tone? With a single volume pot, a cap is irrelevant.

Geraint Jones
March 25th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I`ve got an SD hotrail in the bridge of my Tele , with a vintage SD neck pick up both sound great as individual pups but together they sound like Donald Duck .
http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/purlnekless/?action=view&current=DSCF1184.jpg

marnold
March 25th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I`ve got an SD hotrail in the bridge of my Tele , with a vintage SD neck pick up both sound great as individual pups but together they sound like Donald Duck .
http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/purlnekless/?action=view&current=DSCF1184.jpg
Do you have them wired out-of-phase with each other?

Geraint Jones
March 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Do you have them wired out-of-phase with each other?
I don`t think so , although i copied what the tech had done previous so it could be a possibility , maybe I`ll wait for the next refinish project to sort it out.

I like the photo btw , it looks like you could sharpen that tele up and actually use it as an axe.

Hardass blues
March 26th, 2010, 02:28 AM
...yeah I was thinking a 500K concentric pot. I don't want to change the look. Very minimal ,I like that. I also looked at the push pull to add a out of phase to mix of sounds I could get. Just waiting on the parts for now. I think SD has a lot of orders for the triple shot cause they seem hard to come by around here. I'll get back to yas soon as i get it and see how it sounds,John

marnold
March 26th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks. My only concern with a concentric pot is that I seem to remember measuring it and the cut-out in the body for the knob would not be wide enough to handle the bigger bottom knob on a concentric pot. Another option would be a pull-for-tone mod where you use a push-pull. If you pull it out, the volume is wide open and the pot functions as a tone control. Just a heads-up, you will need to get a drill bit and widen the hole for the pot shaft because it's not quite big enough for a push-pull pot's shaft. At least my Strat version wasn't. Here's a link to what I wrote when I made that mod:

http://telebotomy.blogspot.com/2007/04/and-now-for-something-completely.html

Hardass blues
March 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM
and found a smaller than standard concentric set up with ts 500k pot. If it doesn't fit properly I have a buddy with a lathe and will turn it down to make it fit or I will make new knobs completely. I will have to ream the hole for the new pot, Other than that should be a fairly easy install. Still waitin' on parts. Hey I was gonna ask ya. Is your strat real light? This thing is super light. Really kool actually cuz a lot of my guitars are mahogany and such and weigh a ton. So, this is a kool added bonus for me. I don't like to bring my higher end gear to the shows. And, if this turns out sounding like I want it to I will use it for shows. I have seen too many people have high end gear ripped off over the years ya know. Thanks,John

marnold
March 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Well, it was. I sold it to get my DK2M. Kinda wish I wouldn't have had to, but thems the breaks. But yes, it was extraordinarily light.

Martinguy
March 30th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Wow. That certainly is an unusual Tele.

Enjoy!! :happy