PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young "Trunk Show" movie?

poodlesrule
March 25th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Anybody see it or read positive things about it?

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I have not heard much but plan to look into it next week or so. I guess I remember reading it will be a compilation of a lot of old footage etc. that Neil dug into. It will be interesting to see how well it edits together if that is the case. Could be good, could be simply reminiscent.

poodlesrule
March 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I have seen the movie last night.

Good, but shorter and not as great as Heart of Gold/Prairie Wind, also by J. Demme. It seems to be a single-location (New Darby, PA?) concert compilation, maybe best of two or three shows, date unknown.

Wow, Old Black is worn out! It seems the back of the neck is down to bare wood... or has been seriously worked on!
And N.Y.'s old acoustic also shows it has been around the block. Interesting how NY's pedals live in a red box, a yard wide but just 6 in. tall.

I am not a NY connaisseur, so can't comment much, but I liked it, and wished these NY/Demme productions inspire others to make more music films like this.

The closeups give that much more depth to the songwriting, really enjoyable.

Spouse, who pushed to set the movie evening, remarked how I introduced her to music styles she did not care for in the past... (including John Mayer, "Pretty Boy", the nickname I gave him.. "come on, how many times do we have to listen to *that* JM CD..?!!?).

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Well, being a fan, I will have to check it out! Thanks for the quick review!

poodlesrule
March 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Well, being a fan, I will have to check it out! Thanks for the quick review!

.. and the man has tied his strap to the headstock for many years now..!:-)