PDA

View Full Version : Fender Strat Deluxe Series on CL advice

bcdon
March 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Is this Strat and accessories worth $500? I'm not sure if it's MiM or not.

This is a Fender Strat Deluxe Series with soft case and strap. The accessories are a Marshall amp, G15RCD 120V-60 Hz 45 Watt, a Jimi Hendrix Wa, JH-1, and a DigiTech RP100 Effects pedal. All are in great condition and work well.

http://images.craigslist.org/3k23m33o65O55W55U0a3pbdf663079d491290.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3n93ka3ma5Y15X65R3a3pbf0f796618d614c9.jpg

marnold
March 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Looks like it's one of these:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26041482

Made in Mexico. Looks like a pretty cool guitar, actually. The amph is nothing in particular to write home about. The wah looks like a Hendrix-branded Crybaby. The Digitech is pretty self-explanatory.

bcdon
March 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks, marnold... may be I'll go take a look at it then.

bcdon
March 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
So I took a look at the Strat. It is a MiM from 1999. Only a few minor dings. The only thing that concerned me was that it didn't seem to stay in tune (I tuned it twice) and any power chords on the low E&D strings had a lot of buzz. I decided to skip.

ZMAN
March 28th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Don I think it is worth another look. The Deluxe series has the fender noiselss pickups, and the extra pickup selector switch. I had one in 3 color burst. It was 799 Can. new. They came iwth a deluxe gig bag.
They have a 12 inch radius on the neck so it is fairly flat. With all the accessories I would say it is worth the 500 for sure.
They are an alder body and are quite desirable. The only reason I traded it was that I had already had 3 other guitars in that color. Plus I got 600 on a trade in for my Gibson Gold top.

FrankenFretter
March 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah, buddy, you need a Strat. Everyone should have a Strat and a Les Paul. Don't you feel that nagging hole where the Strat should be?

bcdon
March 28th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks, guys.. I do want a Strat but the buzzing has me a little concerned. I thought the guitar was pretty cool but it just didn't click with me. Actually, I think I'll wait until our buddy Syo has his Hell Guitars done and buy one from him. :-)

mrmudcat
March 28th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Brother in my opinion every guitar (used) and new if ya like should have the strings changed and a proper setup before playing and or forming an opinion on buying it or not........the issues of buzzing and not staying in tune can be easily fixed this way. Saying that it can also be a not so easy fix if neck is tristed, truss rod broken, high frets,binding nutt(easy fix) etc. etc. Note the tuners suck ballz replace with locking sperzels and string change, setup and ill bet this solves your problems!

These were /are nice with some having swamp ash bodies(older ones) as opposed to alder as zman explained and the noiseless pups.(some like them some dont) I do myself! Your example looks swampy to me and I know my swamps. Also worth noting they have a push button switch for the 7 sound variation(button activates bridge pup)......:bootyshake

This is just my humble opinion nothing more or less ....peace!

bcdon
March 28th, 2010, 09:57 PM
This is just my humble opinion nothing more or less ....peace!
Thanks, I really appreciate everyone's advice here. That's what makes The Fret so awesome. You guys rule! :dude

syo
March 28th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks, guys.. I do want a Strat but the buzzing has me a little concerned. I thought the guitar was pretty cool but it just didn't click with me. Actually, I think I'll wait until our buddy Syo has his Hell Guitars done and buy one from him. :-)

It's never a bad idea (if possible) to check the truss rod to see if there is any play left or if it's maxed already and of course sight the neck. Buzzing frets can be just a quick adjustment (free) or fretwork (pricey) or, at worst, a new neck (more than you want to pay). But if the neck is straight with slight relief and with something left in the truss rod, you're probably ok.

Of course Syo will be pleased to deliver the guitar of your (or anyone's) dreams, :AOK but if, in the meantime, you find a guitar that speaks to you at your price, don't let it pass you by. Finding are guitar you connect with is a good thing...

FrankenFretter
March 29th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Even if it's a great buy, if it doesn't click with you then it's not worth it. You will find one that does, Don. Good luck, my friend!

ZMAN
March 29th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I took another look at my Fender Frontlines. I have them going back to 1995 until they stopped putting them out. They are basically a catlogue of Fender goodies. In 1999 they were called the Deluxe series Super Strat. It was called that until 2005 then it became the Deluxe Player Strat. I checked and I couldn't find the type of wood listed. For some reason I thought it was Alder. I will check on that further.
I tend to agree with Muddy on the set up thing. I have purchsed several guitars, looking past the minor set up issues, because I knew I could take it to my tech and he would work his majic on it for me. The only thing he can't cure is a warped neck. Although he did fix my 68 Reissue Strat that I had stored under the bed with a heat register at the top. Not a good idea.
They did come in the natural finish at that time. Robert had a blue one, but I am not sure if he still has it. He changed the neck on it to a standard neck.
If you have already made up your mind no problem, but in the future these points might help.

bcdon
March 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
If you have already made up your mind no problem, but in the future these points might help.
Yes, these points help out a lot. I'll be a lot more confident the next time I check out the next guitar, used or new. Thanks again!