PDA

View Full Version : Frack! The melting snow..

deeaa
March 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I ain't ever seen snow this high on my yard...they just went and scraped the road clear of snow last night...man, the banks are HIGH this year when the road is planed clear. Now it's all gonna melt downhill on my house...sigh...

http://deeaa.pp.fi/IMAG0144.jpg

poodlesrule
March 29th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Somewhat related: A friend told me that railway cars in Findland have stoves (for heating)?

deeaa
March 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM
yeah backin the 40s they had :-) but these times theyre just normal electric trains, or those hispeed ones that tilt in curvez for some routes. up north some tracks still have diesel engines.

Spudman
March 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Looks like you wont have any problems with fires for a while. Man! That's a lot of snow for April (almost).

sunvalleylaw
March 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Wow, I would like it if we had some of that. It has been a dry year.

Tig
March 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I feel your pain. We got a whopping 2 inches 2 years ago, and some poor dumb Texans are still scared! Luckily, I went to school in Oklahoma, so at least I can drive in it. My wife is from South Jersey, so anything less than a foot is a joke to her.

I get a kick out of the occasional dusting we get here. You have to enjoy it within a day before it melts!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2707/4473986537_eb3669b993_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4473986597_107fe19427_o.jpg

poodlesrule
March 29th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Plenty of water up here, in Mass. and Southern New Hampshire..!

After 10 days of flooded basements, we are just starting a three-day rain period that should give us 6, or up to 8 inches of rain. in certain areas. I think I heard a TV person mention a foot, but that a bit unnerving...

We just came back from driving over a nearby bridge on the Charles river, and the water level was amazingly high. The new stuff will add to that...

sunvalleylaw
March 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Tig, I love the pick of that Benji dog chasing the big dog, and the look on the boy's (your boy?) face. Classic!

deeaa
March 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Looks like you wont have any problems with fires for a while. Man! That's a lot of snow for April (almost).

Yeah and today it's adding new layers quite rapidly too. Mostly soft sleet, though. Should pretty much melt away already today for that part.

Been a couple roof collapses as well...lotsa heavy snow. On my house, the snow came down so powerfully from the roof it smashed the terrace fence in two places. I have to add some more stopbars on the roof...could well be deadly if someone happened to be under the avalanche...there's gotta be tons of the stuff on the roof.

mainestratman
March 30th, 2010, 04:51 AM
We've been fortunate so far this winter (knock on wood).. probably a total of a couple feet of snow.. last winter was pretty brutal, but the winter before that was insane.. I think the total snowfall from November through April was over 14 feet.

If I can find pictures, and remember, I'll post them.

I hope your roof holds up!

Tig
March 30th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Tig, I love the pick of that Benji dog chasing the big dog, and the look on the boy's (your boy?) face. Classic!

The little dog is a terrier/poodle mix who loves to chase his big buddy. He had a big collection of ice dingle-berries stuck to his underside when he came in!
That is our grandson, who had to pause from snowball throwing for a lousy Kodak moment. We had plenty of snowball fights that night!