PDA

View Full Version : Sly and the Family Stone I Want To Take You Higher Woodstock

MAXIFUNK
March 29th, 2010, 09:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYrz5y1mW5U

Man I wish I was old enough to have been there.
I did ask my dad but he laughed so hard he almost had a heart-attack. LOL
I still hear him saying let me get this straight you want to go to Woodstock to see Sly & Jimi is that right! Then his loud laughter would start up again then he would ask the question again then laugh the whole process started over again and again lasted for about 30 minutes. LOL

sunvalleylaw
March 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Good story. Could have been fun, but I was busy watching the Monkees and Scooby Doo.

otaypanky
March 29th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I saw Sly and the Family Stone open for Jimi at the Village Theater in NYC before it became Filmore East
People were booing Sly to get off the stage. They were all there to see Hendrix, nobody had heard of Sly. I knew their music and I was really psyched they were on the bill. And they were awesome.
Jimi wasn't too bad either : )

Bloozcat
March 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Bought their "Greatest Hits" album when it came out in 1970. Played it to death for a couple of years. The Woodstock album came out about the same time.

I was 16 the year of Woodstock. There was no way in hell my parents were letting me go.

My older sister's birthday is August 16th which was right in the middle of Woodstock that year. She had plans to go and celebrate her 19th birthday in the mud and music, but she came down with Mono and Hepatitis at the same time. She was out of circulation for the whole month of August and was not a very pleasant person to be around then...:nope

duhvoodooman
March 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I was old enough to go to Woodstock, but I had to work that weekend. CRAP!! :mad

Got to see Sly & the Family Stone at college, though. '71, as I recall....

MAXIFUNK
March 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I have still have the ticket from me standing out side for 15 hours in 10 to 2 degrees weather to see Led Zeppelin in 1979. When I heard John Bonham had died man was I pissed. Another one of my favorites would be missed.

But luckily I have seen everyone else I wanted to see or have worked with them!

msteeln
March 30th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Sly's wife turned his organ off just before they started because she feared he'd blow his part and thus the show and their prospects. The organ was added later.

Never heard of Woodstock til right after the fact. Glad most of it was filmed. However there were malfunctions and some groups were missed, like Canned Heat, Quill, and all but Going Home by the awesome Ten Years After. I really wish that TYA was gotten, I wonder if there's audio.

John Fogerty refused to allow the CCR portion into the film, saying it wasn't up to snuff, but most of their set was actually incredible. He said that EVERYONE was asleep during their wee hour set, then one guy near the rear of the masses lit his lighter and yelled encouragement to John, and he played the rest to that one person.

Jimi's set was greatly delayed, he came on around 8am Monday morning as most of the Eastern seaboard was starting their work week. Played to about 10,000 loyalists. Always loved Larry Lee's choice of a 'curtain' motif.

The recent spat of anni books about Woodstock give great insight to the total improbabilities that managed to produce something even bigger than we knew then. Too bad there were a couple of tragic deaths.

FrankenFretter
March 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Sly's wife turned his organ off just before they started.

I hope my wife never turns my organ off. That's brutal.