PDA

View Full Version : Metal Distortions

Bigbear
November 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
I've been looking hard at metal distortions lately with my new job i have money to toy around with, there are several options i've been looking at...

- Danelectro Black Paisley
- Marshall Jackhammer
- Boss MT2

any body out there got any recommendations? I really like a crunch to my metal but i'd really like to have a higher and thicker tone too.

Anybody now.

SuperSwede
November 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM
Not a metal player myself, but I have tried the metal zone a couple of times, and at least to me it sounds like the real deal! Really tight distorsion.

But.... if you got the real cash, do check out Mesa/Boogie Triaxis preamp! That is one sweet preamp that is capable to make your hair fall off!
It is however...*ahem*.. a bit pricey ;)

Katastrophe
November 22nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
I've got a Digitech RP 80, with a whole slew of effects, and it does just fine for metal (or any style of playing for that matter). I currently have presets for a metal rhythm, a boosted preset for lead, and a clean, chorusy sound, with flanger, wah/envelope filter, delay, and reverb. If I need more versatility, I just push a few buttons and make a new preset (gonna have to do that soon, as my band has gone country). I think the price for these are running around $80.00 on MF... Over the years I've tried everything from an ADA MP1 with ART effects, to individual pedals, and this seems to be an excellent compromise for the money.

The best thing to do is hit the nearest music store, grab a '51, and try out a few... If it's a good store, they'll have demo/display models for you to try out... And some of the cheapies may surprise you... I had a no-name overdrive pedal once, that when connected to my plywood strat copy and Sears amp would make your ears bleed with mind numbing distortion. Or it could have been my lack of playing ability, or something like that.;)

Tim
November 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Hey Katastrophe,

I have the Digitech RP 100A. I have been having some discussion under another thread on this board about a problem I am experiencing. You can find it under "Open Mic -The PA Is Killing My Sound". Please review and give any advice you may have.

I do not remember if I mentioned in the thread, but I am using a cheap 30-foot guitar cable to reach the PA system. It is as close as I can get. I am not sure it this has a capacitance/resistance affect on tone loss.

I also want to use the RP 100A as an effect along with my AD30VT. I cannot get a good chorus out of it. Any suggestions?

Tim

tremoloman
December 22nd, 2005, 07:33 PM
I use the "DOD Death Metal" pedal for a lot of my live playing. I don't use it for metal most of the time. When I use ti with my Peacey Classic 50 and of my Strats, it has a killer tone all its own. I have people come up to me after gigs to see what I'm using for pedals. I always get responses like "You use a 'Death Metal' pedal on Lynard Skynard!?!" YUP.

I love how the DOD makes playing pinched harmonics, squeals, and tapping so effortlessly. I picked it up at MF on sale for $29.95. Another great weapon of choice is the the Boss "Heavy Metal" pedal. I use that one for Megadeth and Metallica stuff mostly. It works wonders for "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due". :)

marnold
December 23rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I haven't found a pedal that I liked as much as the my NuMetal settings on my AD30VT.

Tone2TheBone
March 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
This past weekend my neighbor across the field (I live in the country) called me up and told me to go over to his house to jam. He plays guitar primarily but he does have a drum set in his music room too. After loading my guitars into the truck I drove around the corner of the road (I live in the country....did I say that already?) and walked into his music room to see him drumming away. Pantera T shirt and all with beer bottles sitting all over the place. This was my kind of music room.

Anywhoo he has a sweet Jackson with the Dinky body and told me to plug into his guitar and Marshall DSL amp. He happens to use the Boss Metal Zone pedal...so I said..."what the heck"...and man was that ever fun. I've never used any sort of "metal" pedal before in my life. Seriously. I've always attained killer gain with amps and maybe an overdrive pedal...but certainly no metal pedal of anytype. This thing was just way too fun. I imagined that I transformed into a 15 year old kid who just plugged into his buddy's amp for an afternoon of metal rhythms and shreading. I had forgotton what scooped mids sounded like. The crazy thing about the pedal (and I may be dumb for writing this...dumb and ignert), was that you run this pedal on a CLEAN channel! All the hyper scooped mid shreading gain comes from this pedal. Lows like I love and really bright highs similar to Marnold's Numetal setting on his Vox. And the volumes we were playing at didn't cause the amp to feedback hardly at all which amazed me. When I plugged in my Les Paul and let him have at it while I pretended to play drums he literally went into a trance and played for almost an hour only to look up and smile occasionally and scream..."man this Les Paul is bad!"

Re-reading this thread made me want to post this little story.

Spudman
March 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM
If you like the Metal Zone there are mods all over the web to make you love it. Some things can be improved on.

Tone2TheBone
March 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Hey Spud - One of these days I'm gonna hit you up on your mod knowledge, you're always suggesting I mod stuff. Sounds like you got some sweet hookups buddy. Now all you need is a name tag with your picture on it, all laminated and what not. I mean, you gotta look legit man. (you gotta know where that came from!) ;)

How many pedals have you personally modded Spud?

Spudman
March 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM
(hair greased back, pocket protector on, name badge check, collar buttoned check, solder gun on)

I have modded TS9, ProCo Rat, DS1.
For $25 you can get a lifetime subscription to mods from: http://www.guitartone.net/
They include sound clips, PDF files with photos, parts source, tips, etc.
This is a one time fee. Any time a mod is posted you have access to it. If you have a mod in mind and it hasn't been done you can make a request and Brian will most likely try it and list it.

Tone2TheBone
March 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Wow sweet hookup. Thanks dood. I know what I'll be doing this afternoon......(listening to sound clips)

Justaguyin_nc
September 4th, 2006, 03:16 PM
If you got $15.00 you can always add a DanElectro FAB Metal to your setup.. it has a nice BLUE light on it..;) Actually..I think it distorts pretty good..

Here is a Squier Tele neck position with one.. I was having a Metal mood...
:R :R