PDA

View Full Version : strat bridge inserts problem

D-Ops
April 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM
http://debijo77.webs.com/jagPics/stratBridge.jpg

I've recently bought a MIM Classic Player 50's Strat. I want to install a block to disable the tremolo but I've run into a problem.

The inserts that hold the 2-point bridge pivot pins were not installed flush to the body (see attached). In particular, the one on the bass side protrudes so high that the bridge is prevented from laying perfectly flat on the guitar body.

I need advice/suggestions - I'd like to perform the block-conversion myself.

Does anyone know, for certain, how those inserts are applied? Are they just hammered in? Any adhesive used?

D-Ops

Spudman
April 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
I don't think you need to worry about that. If the bridge height and intonation was good before then just put the block between the body and trem block and recheck your intonation. That's all that matters. The bridge plate might not look level but all that matters is the vibrational transfer to the body through the trem block/wood block area.

Other option is to find a 3 inch or so bolt that will fit those threads. Thread the bolt into the insert and then take a hammer and tap the end of the bolt to push the insert further into the body. Then install your block.

D-Ops
April 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Other option is to find a 3 inch or so bolt that will fit those threads. Thread the bolt into the insert and then take a hammer and tap the end of the bolt to push the insert further into the body. Then install your block.

Thanks, Spud :cool:

Yeah, my first impulse is to tap it a bit with a hammer. I guess that I just wanted to hear somebody else say it... ;)

I think that I could also put a very thin shim on the other side of the block, to move the bridge just slightly back - just enough so that the insert is not impacting the level of the bridge base.

D-Ops

D-Ops
April 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
I tried your method, Spud-san and it's 'no go' - the thing wouldn't budge. I guess that the hole wasn't drill to the proper depth.

It's too bad, because otherwise it's a nice guitar, even though MIM.

In any event, I understand now that it isn't that critical that the bridge contact the body, as long as the trem block is wedged firmly against the body, in the proper playing position. Thanks for that...

You strat guys will love(hate) this - I tried the 'pennies' method of blocking the tremolo (see attached). Works great!

Thanks again for you help :)

http://debijo77.webs.com/jagPics/pennies.jpg

Stringtreat
April 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Why do you want to block your bridge

tremoloman
May 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
My inserts came loose on one of my American Deluxe models due to the wood shrinking a bit. I hammered them back in with a dab of wood glue - problem solved. :)