PDA

View Full Version : Pennies from Heaven

D-Ops
April 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Don't know what you guys will think of this but I tried out the method of dropping pennies behind my trem-block to wedge it solid.

Works great! I gently tapped them down with the plastic handle-end of my screwdriver. I put a couple in the front corners so that the block wouldn't move forward while I tamped them in. It's completely solid.

It took about 5 minutes and cost about 50 cents. And, of course, I can always pull them out with a pair of pliers.

D-Ops

http://debijo77.webs.com/jagPics/pennies.jpg

M29
April 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Very clever D-Ops, that looks like it would indeed work!!

marnold
April 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
I've also heard of people using taped-together picks in a similar way or even a bona fide block of wood. Some epoxy washers to the block, although that's a more permanent solution. My only concern with yours is that a good bump could jar some of those pennies loose. The cavity on my Jackson is big enough so that a solution like that is impractical.

markb
April 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Reminds me of those "Pile-o-Pennies" arcade games they used to have on the pier :)

Duffy
April 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Maybe hit them with a few dabs of super glue, nothing you wouldn't be able to reverse

Plus, pennies are made of copper, right? This could actually add to your tone, possibly even perceptibly; more copper mass. Could be nice.

I like the approach.

I just put five springs in and it holds it down to the body real well and can still be effective in getting some use out of the trem arm.