PDA

View Full Version : Recording drums into a JamMan

Duff
April 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if I can record my Yamaha Stage Custom five piece drum set into my JamMan looper using just a single dynamic mic in a smallish bedroom?

Or will it sound like human waste material?

It's a vocal instrument mic and works best, of course, when you are right up close to it.

Will this pick up the drums if I place the mic just above the bass drum and in front of the snare, below the cymbals; stationary?

Or do I need to use several mics or a different type of omnidirectional mic?

Will this even work at all to lay down a drum track if I play hard, or will it sound unbalanced with, for instance, the snare drum overwhelmingly drownding out the other drums and cymbals.

I guess I could individually lay down a snare track as a rythym line to start with; record the guitar line; then add bass and cymbals individually at the end.

I just dont know if a JamMan will record drum frequencies.

As an alternative I could record the drum parts with my conga drums with the mic either between the heads or right up to the head of one or even stuck into the bottom of just one conga. Recording from inside the bottom of just one conga, or just below the sound hole, would limit the conga effect where they sound better if you are using both or all three congas. I have a pro set of three Congas: 12 inch Tumba, 11.75 Conga, and an 11 inch one, antique sunburst. Beautiful congas.

I know, just try it and find out experientially.

Anyway I'm sure someone else has probably tried mic'ing drums into a JamMan or other looper.

Feedback appreciated.

Also, I'll send some pictures of my congas if someone can remind forgetful me of how to keep the highly pixelated images from my Nikon Digital SLR from Photobucket, where I store some of them, to the Fret and make it so the pictures are BIG and showing in the thread; not tiny or as hyperlinks.

I have only been half a##ed in getting nice big pictures onto the Fret, usually getting tiny thumbnail size things with an occaisional full sized, big picture that you can see the details and fills up the fret page well.

Try to keep it detailed enough that I don't miss a step in trying to do this resizing job because it is harder than you guys that are familiar with doing it think it is, especially for me.

I can also use pictures from the Windows Picture Library if that is an option.

I need to get Photoshop Elements so I can really do some editing. Maybe it has a resizing tool.

These pictures are like LARGE in terms of megapixels, with the fine detail quality setting I have it set on the Nikon DSLR. So 40 by 90 or whatever the Fret image attachment requirement is, is not feasable without changing up these images, as far as I can tell; but I know some of you guys post some incredibly clear and detailed pictures to the fret that show up in the post and are big enough to fill up the page - like Zman for instance, to mention only one.

So, this procedure for posting nice big visible images to the Fret misses me. Any help here will be greatly appreciated and I'll post some decent pictures of my stuff. Right now it is kind of frustrating to post tiny pictures that don't show the details I'm trying to point out.

Thanks.

markb
April 3rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
One mike, above and slightly in front of the kit is probably the best compromise. Try around your eye line when sitting to play and pointing down towards the snare side. I'd start there and move it around to taste. An accomplice would be handy here. A pair of overheads would be better.

For pictures, you need the address of the picture and NOT the address of the page the picture appears on. Right click the picture to get the address. Use the "mountains" icon from the toolbar to insert. If the "mountains" doesn't work the html tags are {img}picture address here{/img}. Replace the curly brackets with square ones (have to do that or the forum reads it as code).

Duff
April 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks Mark. I will try this approach.

I'm moving my drum set down from a bedroom upstairs to our large main room downstairs, along with some amps and guitars and effects. I have a small bed there that I lay on and play guitar while relaxing.

I might put the mic between the heads of two congas, just about four inches above the rims. What do you think about this idea.

I know, just try it.

I will be trying out a bunch of alternatives but appreciate any ideas you guys have to offer, as always. Great wealth of super good info here and a real nice group of people compared to a lot of the other forums. I can't think of another forum that is so cordial.

markb
April 4th, 2010, 03:16 PM
That's about normal for micing congas on stage.
Thinking about the JamMan, you may not get full bandwidth (although it probably is) but you could get some cool lo-fi loops out of the project.