PDA

View Full Version : The most-bang-for-the-buck Amph?

Robert
April 5th, 2010, 02:20 PM
So what do you think is the amp that gives a person the most "bang" for the money?

Let's hear it. It doesn't have to be the cheapest amp - just one that you think gives the best value for what it costs. Features/Tones/Versatility, etc VS. cost.

My vote is the Roland Micro Cube. Very inexpensive but it has plenty of great tones.

----
Features:
Ultra-compact portable DSP guitar amp with 5 in. low magnetic leakage speaker
Runs on battery or AC power (adapter supplied) and includes carry strap
7 COSM guitar amp models including JC-120 and a special mic preamp model
6 DSP effects: chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo and separate Delay/Reverb
New Digital Tuning Fork with support for flat tunings up to 2 semitones
Recording/Headphones output and stereo Auxiliary input for CD players, etc
-----

My Line 6 Spider Valve MkII is up there too in terms of bang for the buck, since it has so much cool stuff in it, and many good tones. The only drawback here is that the floor board isn't included with the amph.

Spudman
April 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Bugera V22

Pentode/triode, master volume (makes a great bed room or gig worthy amph), good sounding 12 inch speaker, looks, all tube, built in tilt back feature. Mine has already been paid for by the gigs I've taken it to.

Tig
April 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
The most-bang-for-the-buck Amph?

That's easy...
The amp you are GASing about or just bought! :poke

markb
April 5th, 2010, 04:10 PM
My Line 6 Spider Valve MkII is up there too in terms of bang for the buck, since it has so much cool stuff in it, and many good tones. The only drawback here is that the floor board isn't included with the amph.

I was looking at a a Spider IV yesterday, the 120 model. 16 good sounding amp models (well up to a plexi and then I quit), all the effects you could need, loads of memory locations, 2x60 watts into 2x10" Celestions in a small package and good price. So what was there not to like? The larger floorboard was 60% of the cost of the amp and you need one of them to even use some of the deep editing functions.

I think the Roland Cubes get it for ease of use and good tones in a small but loud package. They may not have all the bells and whistles of the Line 6 amps but footswitches are quite cheap.

So I'll go for any of the Roland Cube line.

tunghaichuan
April 5th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I think the Roland Cubes get it for ease of use and good tones in a small but loud package. They may not have all the bells and whistles of the Line 6 amps but footswitches are quite cheap.

+1. For the tones, FX, portability and Roland reliability, the Cube series can't be beat. They are relatively inexpensive, too.

If I had to buy a new amp, I'd probably go for the Cube 80x.

A close second would be the new Fender Super Champ XD modeler, if I absolutely had to have a tube amp.

Katastrophe
April 5th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I'd have to put a mention in here for the Peavey Vypyr line. Good effects, tons of models and great tones, for not a lot of cash.

msteeln
April 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Crate's toneful Vintage Club 30 w/2x12s. Can do anything quite well but the hairiest metal, use a pedal and that's there too.

sumitomo
April 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
For the money and take it anywhere you go it's the micro cube,but I'm still going to test drive the Bugera V22,Last time Spud was going off on the M-13 (line 6)well I really dig that unit,it has more than I'll use in my lifetime and the way he goes off about the Bugera,well it needs a looks see.Sumi:D

marnold
April 5th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Obviously I'm biased, but the price/tone of my Jet City is pretty sweet. Not the most flexible amph in the world by any means, but $299 for that head is stupid cheap.

Plank_Spanker
April 7th, 2010, 08:40 PM
From a gigging perspective and having to cover lots of sonic ground.......ease of use, and sounding great:

Fractal Audio's Axe FX. Not cheap by any stretch, but once learned can deliver just about any tone you hear in your head - and sound great live doing it.

I own a couple of primo tube amps, but my Axe FX is still my go to rig.

It's that good. :dude

sumitomo
April 7th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hey Plank since your not using them old tube amph's anymore,send one over I'll take good care of it for you,dust on clean it everyday I promise.Sumi:D

Kazz
April 8th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Surprising that nobody has mentioned the VOX AD30VT or VT30 models.

Commodore 64
April 8th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I can only speak from experience (which is noob and limited), but the $200 Fender Stage 1000 that I got off of Craig's list has served me really really well. I'm still waiting for my ear to develop, but this amp has Clean, Drive 1, Drive 2, reverb, and several other effects, as well as a bunch of Timbre presets. For a noob like me, it's really been good, has tons of stuff for me to play around with (and an onboard tuner), and has that nice 12-inch kick to it. Also, it's small enough to lug around if need be, but also can dish out 160 watts if plugged into a external cab.

I'm not sure anyone could consider my other amp, a SF Champ, good bang for buck. I've got $250 into it, + another $200 in caps, cans, speakers, and tubes, which coincidentally are scheduled to be delivered today !

mrmudcat
April 8th, 2010, 05:58 AM
:dude :thwap Hrd Or My Marshall Stack!!!

wingsdad
April 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I had a Cube30, picking one up used for about $150 a few years ago. I downsized and went to a MicroCube. For $120 new or around $70 used you can't beat what the MicroCube does as bedroom amp, home recording tool or minimalist travel amp. Rides well in a cab or bus.

Brian Krashpad
April 8th, 2010, 07:39 AM
A close second would be the new Fender Super Champ XD modeler, if I absolutely had to have a tube amp.

I have been SUPER (pardon the pun) happy with mine. It's my church stage monitor/amp (lined out to PA), and serves the same function in my acoustic-y/folk rock side band (when I'm not playing mandolin), which has percussion but not a full drum kit. I even used it as a stage monitor with my roots rock band on a bigger stage (and playing over a full kit) by lining it out to a bigger all-tube rig (Sunn 200S 60W into a 2x12) and mic'ing the latter.

Jimi75
April 8th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I have only heard excellent feedback about the Roland Micro Cube. Apart from my dream amp I'd say I was quite impressed with the first series of the Valvetronix Heads. I once played that thingy for a while in a rented and equipped rehearsal location. I'd say that was quite a bang for the money. Still my Line6 Flextone I - yes, 1, first series ever - is an excellent amph.

The bang also depends on what you prefer, so I guess 1000 sounds can't satisfy me if THE sound I am looking for can not be produced.

Currently I am gassing for a Bogner Goldfinger 45, but hey tell that to my wife and I can pack my things an move out :-)

TS808
April 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I was looking at a a Spider IV yesterday, the 120 model. 16 good sounding amp models (well up to a plexi and then I quit), all the effects you could need, loads of memory locations, 2x60 watts into 2x10" Celestions in a small package and good price. So what was there not to like? The larger floorboard was 60% of the cost of the amp and you need one of them to even use some of the deep editing functions.

This is actually my amp of choice for best bang for the buck. I purchased one about 2 months ago with the floorboard. I agree...a $399 amp and a floorboard that runs about $269 is crazy, but it is well worth it as the new floorboard allows you to download firmware updates which previous versions of the Spider did not have.

The Spider IV 120 is really an amazing sounding amp, and I always looked at the Spiders as "beginner's amps" in the past. I bought one without even trying it first (which I seldom do) going by the good reviews the amp has got so far.

I'm VERY pleased with the tones of the various models as well the ability to update the firmware. All of the models sound great with a strat too which was a selling point for me. I rarely use the insane and metal settings.

The amp is so full and warm sounding (not brittle at all) that I rarely use my Valvetronix amp any more.

kiteman
April 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
My $399 Peavey Windsor halfstack. :)

Brian Krashpad
April 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM
My $399 Peavey Windsor halfstack. :)

Tell us some more about this. They got blown out at such a low price-- the curse of Peavey-- that I think a lot of people assumed they weren't good, yet the people I know who bought like them.

Features, pics?

sumitomo
April 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=Brian Krashpad]Tell us some more about this. They got blown out at such a low price-- the curse of Peavey-- that I think a lot of people assumed they weren't good, yet the people I know who bought like them.

Yea I'm the GAS man,You get screaming solos when your crank this amph,GAS man LOL! Sumi:D

kiteman
April 9th, 2010, 12:16 PM
It's ok, the tone is pretty plain but I never cranked it so it'll probably sound better if I did. It has a lot of tone shaping though and I always use pedals on it. Whether I used clean or dirty on my pedals the amp carried it pretty good. I've read about mods and retubes that'll improve the amp.

I haven't used it much since I got my BHHD half stack. :)

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3646/s5030556.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/i/s5030556.jpg/)

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2264/s5030557.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/i/s5030557.jpg/)

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7358/s5030560.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/i/s5030560.jpg/)

street music
April 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
My vote would go to a FENDER SUPER CHAMP XD a very versatile amp that has tube sound and I have been impressed with it as an all around go to amp.

Tig
April 10th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Tube amp best bang for the buck:
The reason I bought the Egnater Tweaker is because of it's extreme versatility with a very low price, while maintaining quality and having pluses, like the effects loop. I've been looking for an all tube amp exactly like this, and then it came out, fitting perfectly. I know for 2 or 3 or 4 times the price, I could get a better amp, but the actual difference is not justified by the huge price difference. (Victoria, Carr, Bogner, Reinhardt)

Modeling amp best bang for the buck:
Robert's Line 6 Spider Valve MkII sure has impressed me, and worth mentioning are the Vox VT's, and the Peavey Vypyr 60 (tube).
The newest version of Fender's G-DEC opens up all kinds of doors for tonal and functional flexibility.

SuperSwede
April 11th, 2010, 02:23 AM
This one is a killer amph, very versatile!

(Vox VT50)

Duffy
April 12th, 2010, 12:40 AM
A great mint used Fender SuperSonic 112 blondy at a store near me for 775 out the door.

This is a super outstanding sixty watt Pro Series Fender amp with a Celestion Vintage 30 in it and is a combination, analog, of a Vibrolux and a Bassman; with a BURN channel applicable to both voices and a global really good Fender reverb that you can use with the Bassman side as well.

This is an incredible amp at an incredible price. I think it is less than a year old.

I can give you the phone number.