PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to solder shielding tape?

rugbynyc
April 6th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I have read on a few websites that you need to make solder connections between overlapping strips of copper shielding tape. Can anyone speak to the truth of that? Will not soldering the tape make a huge difference in shielding ability?

sumitomo
April 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I just used a eyelet,but you could just wrap bare wire around a screw,but I cut the crap out of my fingers so I dont think the solder would flow through all the blood LOL!.Anyways it worked,made a huge difference,I feel that would be over kill.Sumi:D

jim p
April 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM
On some shielding tape the glue side is not conductive so soldering a spot (don’t need to do the whole seam) at the overlaps would guarantee the strips are electrically connected. It probably would also guarantee that over time with corrosion and dirt you would still have a good electrical contact so in the “suspenders and a belt” world it can’t hurt. Audio frequencies are low enough that some gaps will not be a problem.

markb
April 6th, 2010, 01:44 PM
The Allparts stuff i bought had conductive glue and it checks for continuity right across the cavity with a meter. I had to patch over one or two spots where the contact wasn't great.