PDA

View Full Version : My amp preset tones from last gig - what you think?

Robert
April 6th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Line 6 Spider Valve MkII - these were the sounds I used on my last gig.

This time, I recorded this longish demo with just the camera mic, instead of micing the amp separately. I have been having trouble getting the best tones when micing with my SM57, and I think the problem is my audio interface (I'm buying something better right now).

Anyway, please have a listen and let me know how you like these tones. I believe these tones are pretty close to the "real thing" and I really like the sound of this amph. Incredible versatility. I used the optional floorboard here too, which has volume pedal/wah pedal and buttons for storing presets, etc.

uIBdiZme6i8

Robert
April 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I think my camcorder mic picks up a bit too much treble. It also sounds a bit more trebly because of my Brossard pick, which is made out of bone and makes a brighter tone (and the microphone picks up the acoustic sound of my strings + pick).

Still pretty good tones, I must say. I adjust the brightness with my guitar's tone control a lot when I play, and I usually have it at 6 or lower with this amp.

sumitomo
April 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks Robert my neighbor has one of these amphs,so I'll try 'em out.Sumi:D

ZMAN
April 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Robert, this is my first comment on your videos. Just to preface my comment, I have a surround sound system hooked up to my computer, and I have always thought your recordings were just OK. The playing was fine but they lacked body and depth. I think this is the best I have heard. The amp is great but I think your recording set up is best this way.
Remember this is constructive and I think it is what you wanted.
The line 6 seems like a good fit for your gigs and music selection.
While I was in Florida, I went to a Seafood Bar/restaurant, and there was a performer by himself, who was using the same amp, but he was running backing tracks and laying his guitar and vocals over them. I was amazed at the tone, and how good this guy sounded. All by himself. It really opened my eyes to these amps.

Robert
April 6th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks zman, just the kind of feedback I'm after! :AOK

Jimi75
April 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hey Robert, the dirty sound and the AC30 kinda sound are really great and the amph pairs perfectly with your guitar. I must admit though that I can't dig the effects, in my opinion they give your sound a synthetic edge and deprive your guitar ans amph of its natural sound.

Great and accurate playing as always - I wonder how you do that:AOK

Regarding the sound quality I can only say that your videos are among the best sounding demos out there. Maybe I am no professional sound guy, so I can only judge the sound from the position of being a listener in this case, but I darn like what I hear!

As a conclusion I would say that you make this amph sound very good which proves that it just takes a bit of time with new equipment to get the best out of it.

:AOK

Robert
April 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks Jimi, sometimes it just takes some time to get to know gear! I should maybe not be so quick at posting demos of new gear, until I know how to get the best out of it. I dunno.

The effects, well I think they are kinda kool man! I like effects that are strong and out there, but then I only use them a few times at a gig. Mostly I just use delay and gain for effects.

rylanmartin
April 7th, 2010, 02:32 PM
You have to know that I love these sounds, man. It's fun hearing your playing with more modulation.

Effects are your colors, your guitar is the brush. The picture you paint still depends 100% creation of the artist. You can paint some pretty incredible pictures, man.

Jimi75
April 7th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks Jimi, sometimes it just takes some time to get to know gear! I should maybe not be so quick at posting demos of new gear, until I know how to get the best out of it. I dunno.

Oh sorry for not uttering me clearly enough - I meant with my comment that you know your amph already and that is why you Robert get such a good tone out of it :-) For all the quick people you deliver the prove that it is always worth investing enough time and being patient with new equipment.

mainestratman
April 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm impressed with the sound quality shift just running your camcorder mic. Well done. :-)

birv2
April 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Nice sounds. How do they sound in the mix? I only ask because of my frustration with finding some great tone at home and having it disappear live.

What do you do to adjust for live playing?

Spudman
April 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Lots of good sounds you got there. I didn't like the first wah. I don't know if you changed patches or not but if the range is tweakable then it could serve good purpose otherwise it was pretty annoying at the top end. All-in-all there seem to be a lot of usable sounds available and it appears the touch sensitivity of the amp is right on. When you dig in it responds. Cool.

Katastrophe
April 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Nice! It sounds great. :applause