PDA

View Full Version : The new Fender G-DEC 3

Tig
April 6th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I played the new G-DEC 3 (http://www.fender.com/features/gdec3/#/home) 30 watt today, and holy carp, you gotta check one of these out! There's no way I could write all about it without creating a book. All marketing hype aside, this seriously takes modeling amphs to a whole new level.

I wasn't all that impressed with the G-DEC 2, even though it modeled well. The 3 comes with 76 customizable preset backing tracks and associated amp patches, many from players like Eric Johnson, Dweezil Zappa, Brad Paisley, Niles Lofgren, Reverend Horton Heat, John5, and more from their website, like 5 patches from Jeff Beck. As expected, the Fender amps were very close to the original amps, plus plenty of other amp models and stomp boxes.

You don't need a computer to make it work. The control panel and display are really easy to learn (even for me). However, using a computer opens many more doors for patches, backing tracks, and recording via 2 software tools that come with the amph, as well as Amplitube Fender LE. You can also use SD cards for storage.

I was able to play all kinds of tones instantly, with the ability to change the parameters and toggle on or off the backing tracks. The only problem I found was the lack of a speaker out port for expansion cabinets. (I'm sure I could wire something useful). The $400 30 watt has a 10" speaker plus a tweeter that sounded better than expected, but I didn't even want to test the $300 15 watt with it's 8" speaker.

I'll go back and play on it more to dig deeper. This thing is sick!

U6a5t8ho7nY

LjO4vMwWfdo

FCF267KHEPg

Robert
April 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I have gotten emails from people telling me it's in-freaking-credible. Haven't seen one around here, but I'll keep an eye out.

There's actually no Fender dealer in my town... :cry:

sumitomo
April 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Very interesting,but what about us guys with the first g-dec's?We were promised upgrades ect.Hey FENDER how about a trade in program?Make good on your promise.Sumi:D

sumitomo
April 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I had my neighbor for awhile and I brought out my g-dec for him to try,(long pause)Man he says what a POC,I said well not that bad but it lacks that is why it is in such good shape(it is like new out of the box)I will have to try the g-dec3 in person before I'll buy one,and that's only if they let me trade in my unupgradeable old one! Sumi:D

sumitomo
April 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM
ET_2_-ebfEITig did you try it again?Sometimes first impressions fool us.I haven't had the chance to try one yet.but here's a real world vid.Sumi:D

otaypanky
April 21st, 2010, 07:15 AM
I got an email from Fender last night that listed their clinic tour dates. They were all featuring this new amp. There wasn't anything being held close enough to me that I would have driven there, but the really dopey thing was that so many of the scheduled clinics had already taken place before they sent out the email.
Greg Koch had 17 appearances scheduled, 15 were already held ~ LOL

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2010, 08:53 AM
How does it sound?
nX6gVCqDt7g
incredible.

Katastrophe
September 18th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Justa! Good to "see" ya... It's been a whle!

Justaguyin_nc
September 19th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Justa! Good to "see" ya... It's been a whle!

Hi kat Man, I am always around someplace.. good to see you. :thumbsup

I guess I don't post to often anymore.. but...
http://www.fender.com/features/gdec3/#/home
This amp just reminded me of what I always felt thefret.net represented.
good sounds and good people, jamming together for a good time.
heck it's all in the box now..lol
not only midi.. but true wav and mp3 clips by the major artist.
ofcourse ya still need your mega buck tube amps..
but for alone and practice... this thing rocks..
can't stick around here to long...that darn G.A.S. will rise again!!

Lev
September 21st, 2010, 06:24 AM
Looks like there's a stripped down version called the Mustang, seems to have all the capability of the G-Dec without the SD slot, no backing tracks and smaller preset memory.

But still has the option to connect to Fender Fuse via USB and customize all your tones in the same way as the G-Dec. In fact this thing looks a lot more user friendly.

iiq6TQ9VZTw

vMwsXFHJmd4

Lev
September 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM
ok, this video has me sold!!

myjzJVCKBHU

Commodore 64
September 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM
How does it sound?
nX6gVCqDt7g
incredible.

The whole, "line out to 2 big 400w PA Speakers" thing kinda taints that review for me. Would you rather take a single amp to a gig or an amp, a laptop, and your PA speakers?

Plus both of those guys seem like enormous douchebags to me.

I'm so tired of people talking about warm and smooth and these other terms which are 100% subjective as well as ambiguous enough that they could mean any number of things. That one is "punchier"? WTF does "Juicy" mean anyways? "There's Juicyness".

That video is so contrived, it feels like a Ronco infomercial. In fact, I wanted a G-Dec3 prior to watching that, but now I don't. OK, maybe that's going a little too far. :tongue:

Justaguyin_nc
September 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
The whole, "line out to 2 big 400w PA Speakers" thing kinda taints that review for me. Would you rather take a single amp to a gig or an amp, a laptop, and your PA speakers?

Plus both of those guys seem like enormous douchebags to me.

I think the whole Idea is comparing... you would set all the stuff up at home and wouldn't need your laptop. Also, hopefully a PA system is already at the place your going..and finally, you use this to practice with, they just took it to an extreme to show the quality within. And, to me they showed it.
It just keeps getting better.

As for your opinion on the guys themselves, welp, that's your opinion for whatever reasoning you wish to throw in.
some people may not like Robert's "Veins" or subjective phrasing through his demos either, but that should not detract from his ability or his opinions.

Which both these men show to be valid also, imho.

As for the Mustang, it does sound nice and a great cheap price no doubt. I think it' more of another tech though.

Quote from Fender Forums:
Other than Fender FUSE and USB functionality, these amps don't have much in common. The Mustang I&II amps include totally different amp models and a different effects engine than the G-DEC 3.
End Quote

I like the backings..and the SD slot actually..
The G-Dec 3 is their latest and greatest thing since sliced bread to practice with...I would use something else "if" I played out though.

Hope these guys rate to you.
every "Guitar" you hear is just thru G-Dec 3's
TzpoZ3ftg8w

later , I got to go butter some up!