PDA

View Full Version : NAD...! Cube 30X

poodlesrule
April 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
New Amph Day!
Just got a new* Cube 30X.

(Very) good deal, as seller had bought Cube recently thinking his Vox was down for the count... and wasn't!

*it is new as in, vinyl-smell new. I helped someone recently, so I was expecting to redeem some karma...

I already found the "cheat sheet" in German with various settings replicating artists/tunes.

Hmm.. gotta have to stay focused on playing better on clean first!

Hints on how to better use Cube welcome!

Tig
April 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Cool for you! I guess the good karma bounced back your way.

Be sure to tell us more about your impressions of the Cube 30X after you've played around with it.

markb
April 7th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the Cube club. :applause

The JC channel with pedals could make you wonder why they bothered with the rest of the amp. The Tweed and Vox (Brit Combo) are great with a Tele, just turn up and ride the guitar volume. I listened to a local guy playing through my 60 on the Marshall model with his early 70s LP Custom and was utterly convinced there was a plexi in the room. The effects are basic but useful, no spaceship landing alarms here!

NWBasser
April 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Again, welcome to the Cube world!:dude

I have the 30 and like it fairly well. Simplicity, reliability, decent tone, and so easy to carry around make it a winner for a lot of folks. For a lot of real-world playing situations they work very well. I mean quick jams, outdoor patio parties, open mics, etc. where an all-tube amph may be at weather risk or a bit heavy.

What's the difference between the 30 and the 30X?

kidsmoke
April 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM
The JC channel with pedals could make you wonder why they bothered with the rest of the amp.

Agreed. The JC is unreal. The only model setting I bother with is Brit and a little tweed. Personally not much for the metal settings, but my Pantera influenced son likes to mess with them.

Really a super versatile amp. Did you get the original literature with it?

poodlesrule
April 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Really a super versatile amp. Did you get the original literature with it?

I did get the 11-page owner's manual.

Anything special you may be looking for?

markb
April 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I have the Cube 60, Tio. I bought it new on clearance so yes I got all the stuff the Gearwire dude loves to talk about :)

I quite like the Metal model (based on a Peavey 5150?), it's a good smooth high gain tone and works well with the gain turned down. The "R-fier" is the one I can't handle. I find the Dyna Amp a bit silly too. Get your manual here.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/_support/om.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=1457&iStcd=4

kidsmoke
April 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I did get the 11-page owner's manual.

Anything special you may be looking for?

Nope, I've got it, It inferred from your first post that perhaps all you had was the German cheet sheet, and was willing to do some scanning for you.

Thanks for the offer though!

As to the JC..I may have mentioned this before elsewhere, but I play in large groups often, and when I go to the neck, a SD '59, on my semi hollow idol, I silence the room. The tones are that sweet, awesome scoops and sustain....just a beautiful sound. Everyone just wants to listen to the slides and bends. I actually don't drag it out that much anymore, since I have a 6 pack sized option for those situations, but really like this amp.

There's a guy in my town, builds archtops right where his customers can see them....he's a huge proponent of these Cube amps.

Algonquin
April 12th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I've seen some great video's and reviews of these amps, and would like to have one of my own to muck around with one day... Comgrats! :applause

kidsmoke
April 12th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I've seen some great video's and reviews of these amps, and would like to have one of my own

I'd love to hear your opinion, as well, given that you own an actual JC120. Love to hear how you think it compares. Do you use that amph much?