PDA

View Full Version : CV White Tele or CV 60s Strat

ZMAN
April 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I walked into a local guitar shop, while staying with my daughter.
I found they had two of the CV Teles in White/Maple, for 350. No haggling yet.
Also they had a 60s CV Strat for 279 on sale. I really wasn't looking to buy another guitar but I have not seen one of those teles in stock anywhere, and they have two to choose from.
The 60s Strat seems like a pretty good buy.
I am not sure what to do.

sunvalleylaw
April 8th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I love the 60's strat, but you have a ton of strats, and that 60's sounded a lot to me like my (and yours) MIM 60th. I would think a tele would be the better call between the two for you. Not that you really need even another tele. ;-)

Tig
April 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I walked into a local guitar shop, while staying with my daughter.
I found they had two of the CV Teles in White/Maple, for 350. No haggling yet.
Also they had a 60s CV Strat for 279 on sale. I really wasn't looking to buy another guitar but I have not seen one of those teles in stock anywhere, and they have two to choose from.
The 60s Strat seems like a pretty good buy.
I am not sure what to do.

Wow, I wonder why they have the 60's CV Strat so marked down? That's the first question that comes to mind.

Regardless, play each of the CV's, and see if they feel and sound right to you. Go from there if one of them really speaks to you. The Strat sure sounds like a good deal, but you already have a better Strat, right?

Personally, I'd opt for the CV Tele Custom or the CV Tele Thinline over the CV Tele 50's, but you already have a Custom.

sumitomo
April 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Why not get them both!You can always sell the one's that don't grow on ya! Sumi:D

bcdon
April 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Personally, I'd opt for the CV Tele Custom or the CV Tele Thinline over the CV Tele 50's, but you already have a Custom.

Just what is a CV Tele? How is it different from a regular Tele?

ZMAN
April 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Just what is a CV Tele? How is it different from a regular Tele?

When the Classic Vibe series first came out they had a 50s Tele, a 50s Strat and a 60s Strat. The 50s Tele had a blonde see through finish and a black gaurd. It also has a vintage tinted gloss maple neck.
If I can get it with a Gig bag thrown in I might just do it.
The tag on the Strat had a "Manufacturers Markdown" tag on it so I guess Fender must have cut him a deal on it. They recently moved to a larger store and reopened.
You guys are like my inner voices. That is exactly what they said.
I will take a look at the two CV 50s Teles and see how they sound.

Spudman
April 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
The Pine Tele is pretty cool especially if you can get some add ons or a price break. Otherwise, for the same price I'd suggest holding out for the new alder, double bound sunburst CV Tele. Either way - get a Tele and not a Strat.

MAXIFUNK
April 8th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I would get the Tele over the 60's CV strat.
if it was the 50's CV's i would take it over the pine Tele.

Duffy
April 8th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I haven't played the pinecaster but will probably get a new CV Custom tele in burst; however, I was in a music store just recently and they were selling a CV sixties strat for 279 in antique burst and it was an awesome strat. It sounded great and looked great and played great. Plugged it into a Fender Super Champ XD and put them both thru their paces. They both shined.

I would get a sixties CV strat in a second if I wanted one or felt like it, on he spot, if it sounded really super good.

I have been wanting to play a pinecaster for a long time. The stores around here that have had them say that they are very nice guitars for the price, but they don't stock a lot of them. Probably because they like to sell the much more expensive ones like the new American Specials that they have so many of in stock.

Katastrophe
April 8th, 2010, 07:10 PM
The Tele. You've got a whole bunch of Strats, and those Teles are something special. IMO, they play much better than they are priced.

ZMAN
April 9th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Remember I already have the CV50s Strat, and the CV Tele Custom. I like the way the custom plays, but I really am a maple board guy. I will see what kind of a deal I can get. I received my RS guitar vintage kit. I am really amazed at how easy it is to get items sent to you in the US.
I am in Maine and I had the kit sent to my daughters place. It would have taken 2 weeks and customs duties to have it sent to Canada. when I get back I will be putting the kit plus the hand wound Burstbuckers I bought from a local buy/sell web site at home called Kijiji, in my Gibson Classic GT. So that is around 300 total including the install.
I think you guys are right, I really am not feeling any Gas for the Strat. It is just such a good price. I will drop buy and see what kind of a deal I can get today.

ZMAN
April 11th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I dropped by and they still had two of the CV 50s Tele. I asked the owner why the 60s was marked so low and he said after a certain amount of time they drop the price to clear inventory. I haggled with him and got him to throw in a gig bag. It was not bad, pretty well padded but not as good as a Fender. He wouldn't move on price. I said to thim I will be back in June and I will pick it up for 279. He said they match the online dealers with price and he doesn't have much room to haggle because of the limited buying power they have. I am still debating.

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hmm, I would like a second strat at some point, and like that one as a starting point to mod a strat into a super strat. Might have to consider that in the future if they stay available. Before that, I was thinking a good MIM (like and '06) or a Squier Deluxe.

ZMAN
April 18th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I am still in Maine and I have resisted the temptation to buy another guitar.
I have a project waiting for me when I get home and I do have a lot of fender guitars. It was just that after not seeing any of these guitars int he stores to come across several, I was really surprised.

Duff
April 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
That is a good price for the CV sixties.

It would be a great guitar and you don't seem to have many near you.

For small money it might be an excellent new guitar.

The one I was familiar with sounded super great.

You know how that thing goes: he who hesitates is lost, sometimes.

This may not be one of those times, but then again, you are there and it is there and the situation is there. This arrangement of things in space and time is about to change, removing the situation from easy reach.

Only you can decide if it's a good choice, but some serious thought would be a good idea considering the space/time relationship. If it makes sense that is.

duhvoodooman
April 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
I stopped in my local GC today 'cuz I needed a stand and a set of Schaller strap-locks for my new Agile AL-3000 LP. While I was there, I took a look around and found a demo model of the CV '50s Tele and plugged it into a 2x12 Hotrod Deville for a few minutes. This was the first time I've seen one of these guitars "in person", not to mention playing one. While that semi-transparent Vintage White finish does nothing for me (yeah, I know some people love it), the lightness of the guitar was nice, and it played & sounded great, the dead low E and A strings notwithstanding. For $350, a very impressive value! I thought it was a much nicer guitar than the $500 MIM Tele I also tried.

BTW, was playing the Deville through the Normal (clean) channel, and it's a nice sounding amp. Unbelievably loud, though. I switched it onto the Drive channel for a second, and didn't notice that the last player had apparently left the Drive setting way up--geez, I almost deafened myself. And the Master Volume was only on 3! :eek:

Duff
April 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
Vood,

You might like the new Fender Telecaster FMT HH with SD pickups I just got. Very light mahogany set neck and body, flammed maple top in black cherry burst. Super low action, incredible feel and sound. I paid five bills for it new from Fender straight to the store. Made in Indonesia. Very beautiful in all respects. Bright guitar for twin HB's but has a whole lot of tonal variation. Pearly Gates bridge and Custom 5 neck pups. Ergonomically designed body cut.

This is a smoking guitar in all regards. Definitely one of my best guitars, if not the best. Thin neck in both dimensions, width and depth. Great note separation and a tone monster.

I'm surprised that pinecaster didn't sound better to you. Never played one myself but want to try the CV tele Custom but none around me.

I did like that CV sixties though, without a doubt a great guitar for the money. I would say better than the Fender American Special Strat.

duhvoodooman
April 21st, 2010, 05:10 PM
That Tele FMT HH looks like a nice axe, but I've got the dual humbucker thing covered in spades between two LP's, an SG, a Dot and my Carvin Cali Carved-top.

I'm surprised that pinecaster didn't sound better to you.
Huh? I didn't say that! I liked the way it sounded just fine--very nice Tele twang, without being harsh or ice-picky. And that was through a fairly bright sounding amp. Only thing wrong tonally was the fact that strings were shot, which seems to be a nearly universal problem on GC demo guitars!

Never played one myself but want to try the CV tele Custom but none around me.
+1 on that. If it sounds & plays as well as the '50s model, I find that one to be a FAR more attractive guitar. I'm wondering if I'd like its Alnico V pickups as well as the III's in the '50s model....

ZMAN
April 22nd, 2010, 07:23 PM
Well back home WITHOUT, any new guitars! I will be upgrading my Gibby Classic LP and that has taken up about as much as the CV60s would have cost. I am trying to cull a few Fenders as well. Just don't have any more room for guitars, and I am playing my Gibbys most of the time now.

Commodore 64
April 24th, 2010, 05:16 AM
GC has the CV50s tele for $250 this weekend, if you can find one.

ZMAN
April 24th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks but I am back home. The closest GC is 40 miles away in Buffalo NY. Closed the book on those. I am heading out this morning with my Gibby Classic GT to have the pickups changed, and an RS guitarworks kit installed.
Putting a set of BB1 and 2s out of a historic in it. The Ceramics were just too bright.
Not a big Tele Fan, and I realized that the one I have will cover all my Tele needs.