PDA

View Full Version : Should I shave my head?

Robert
April 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM
So, here is my conundrum. Should I shave my head or wear a cap?

The reason for my query is that I am getting so many video comments about my old and bald head.... no I don't care personally too much, but it seems my appearance is distracting the viewer and I don't want my ugly bald spot be the focus for discussion on these guitar videos I make. I spend a lot of time on them, trying to make them useful, so these kinds of comments definitely put the focus on the wrong thing... and I am not going to police the comments and take out the baldy-head comments either... prevention is the best weapon, I always say. :)

So, I figure I have 2 options. Either I get an electric shaver and just keep it commando soldier short all the time, or I wear a baseball cap.

Which is it gonna be?

tunghaichuan
April 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I share your pain. I started going bald around the time I turned 40. I'm lucky though, my dad was almost completely bald by the time he was 25.

I started shaving my head about the time I started going bald. I haven't paid for a hair cut for years.

So I vote shave it off regularly.

Spudman
April 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Find a stylish hat/cap. Joe Satriani did and you can too. Have you tried Rogain? It might work. Also a dye job can sometimes make the shine go away for a while. You'll probably look great in a fedora or bowler as well. ;)

sunvalleylaw
April 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Hmm, I have been holding off on doing the "Matt Lauer" thing due to similar issues. I look ok from the front, but the back has a decent bald spot. For your, I think you would look tough with a good crew cut type shave, and it would be a good look for running too. You cut pretty short anyway. A full shave maybe is too extreme.

Jimi75
April 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Shaving your head?I'd leave your haircut the way it is just a little bit shorter. I understand your fear about the stupid comments and how they turn the spotlight to the "wrong" things. BUT please do not go Kojak okay :-)

markb
April 8th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Whatever you do, don't get a cheap Thai hair transplant like Sir Elton :D

FrankenFretter
April 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I shave my head by choice, not because I'm follicle challenged (not yet, anyway). I just like the feeling of super-short hair, and the maintenance free aspect of it. Also, you can wear a hat and your hair doesn't get messed up. My personal opinion is that when guys start to thin on top, it looks better when it's close-cropped. Less noticeable, if that's what you're after.

Do whatever YOU are comfortable with, Robert. Paint an eyeball on your bald spot, that'll really distract people.

Robert
April 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
My goal is to look "neutral" so that people watching don't get distracted. I think I might start wearing contacts too. No glare from the lights and no stupid "you look like an accountant in those glasses" comments... :)

So keep adding your 2 cents. I personally don't care if I'm half bald or not, but the videos seem to suffer from them, and since I put in so much hard work in my videos, I want to avoid any distractions.

I have no desire to try the "fake hair" methods and all that... my ego is not hurting by any of this hair loss - just my videos!

Tig
April 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
First off, Youtube is full of cowards that hide behind anonymity, so their comments rarely merit any attention or notice.

So, do what you feel comfortable with. We all gotta run around in what the Big Man Upstairs gave us, so it might as well be something we like when it comes to styles, etc.

Rogain only helps keep what you have, but doesn't do much to regain what was lost. Besides, as soon as you stop using it, the baldness takes over again.

You might want to try a shorter haircut and see if it is something that will work. You can go shorter until you do the Bruce Willis stubble, which might work out.

If I was in the same boat, I'd keep it short and/or wear a cap.

MAXIFUNK
April 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I never noticed your hair honestly I was to busy trying to see what you where doing.

But if it is an issue shaving takes a lot of work. Shaving almost daily forget that. But cut close haircut might work but honestly if your S/O does not care the the Heck with what others say.

warren0728
April 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM
So, here is my conundrum. Should I shave my head or wear a cap?

The reason for my query is that I am getting so many video comments about my old and bald head....
i don't see it! :poke

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/35474b78358ab34.jpg

Robert
April 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I knew it! THAT'S how we get Warren to show - just talk about my hair - and he's there! haha!

Good one Warren, good to see you buddy. Post more often.

marnold
April 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Do nothing, NOTHING, because of YouTube comments. If you want to do it because you want to do it, go right ahead. Trolls can perch and twirl.

mainestratman
April 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Be yourself.

The trolls are trolling because you outplay and out-class them.

sumitomo
April 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Shave your head if you want,borrow SunValleys David Bowie wig everyonce in a while forget the Rogain and go for the Vigra and your wife won't mind if you have hair or not! LOL! Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
April 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Leave it as is. If you shave your head, they'll just start taking cheap shots at your VEINS!!!

Seriously, Marnold stated my opinion perfectly....

Katastrophe
April 8th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Be yourself.

The trolls are trolling because you outplay and out-class them.

MSM nailed it.

I vote for just keeping it trimmed short and neat. I read somewhere recently that male pattern baldness affects something like 50% of men.

I'm losing my hair, too, but I'll just keep it cut short until I don't have any left.

Unless, of course, you want to wear Brian Krashpad's pink wighat. Then I vote for that.:AOK

mainestratman
April 8th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I like the spiked look myself. :-)

oldguy
April 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Disable comments for your vids, and keep on rockin' for the good folks who appreciate them.

bcdon
April 8th, 2010, 08:04 PM
My goal is to look "neutral" so that people watching don't get distracted. I think I might start wearing contacts too. No glare from the lights and no stupid "you look like an accountant in those glasses" comments... :)

First off, your videos are excellent and your hair is just that, hair. It's not like you are doing a massive comb over and, even if you were, so what! Second, the internet is full of douche-bags that have nothing to do but to make themselves feel better by criticizing their betters. Screw the haters, don't respond to their stupid posts just ignore them or delete and ban the fools. I love your videos and think you are great just how you are. Don't let the morons bother you. Real people with real taste like you. Who cares about the rest.

bcdon
April 8th, 2010, 08:13 PM
If you must listen to the complaints of douche-bags just realize that what they say is 100% wrong. So if they want you to cut your hair, then what you really need is BIG A-- AFRO like this instead.

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/27264.jpg

markb
April 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Or just get AYHSMB tattooed on the bald patch :)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=AYHSMB

Link may not be work safe ;)

syo
April 8th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Robert, I always believe it is best to visualize a result before acting. The options appear to me to be:
1). Leave well enough alone.
2). Go for broke.
3) The Miao baby hat.

Personally, I like you best as is. But if you go for option 3 I think you could really be huge.

I have provided a handy visual aid to help you in your decision. Good luck!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/93434bbe977f2c968.jpg

bcdon
April 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Robert, I always believe it is best to visualize a result before acting. The options appear to me to be:
1). Leave well enough alone.
2). Go for broke.
3) The Miao baby hat.

Personally, I like you best as is. But if you go for option 3 I think you could really be huge.

I have provided a handy visual aid to help you in your decision. Good luck!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/93434bbe977f2c968.jpg
Syo, that is just awesome. Robert, stay as you are or buy yourself one of those "Miao baby hats" and rock on! :dude

piebaldpython
April 8th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Keep it short........visible but short. Do not go bald. Most white guys don't have the proper shaped noggins to make BALD work like black guys do. It works with most black guys.........it flops with most whites.

Don't go the Justin Sandercoe route and wear a woolen hat. :thwap He and Satch look ridiculous with those things on.

I have a lot less hair than you and I keep it a notch or two above bald. Looks great and NO muss or fuss with wasting time combing it.

Spudman
April 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Don't shave! You'll look like you just did chemotherapy. I like it best as is. Do nothing and screw the punks on youtube.

rylanmartin
April 8th, 2010, 10:13 PM
One word, two syllables:

Skullet.

Maybe an addition of a Fu Man Chu might add to the awesomeness. Maybe put down the jogging shoes for a while and pick up a heavy bag. I think in a short while you could be rocking an awesome new look:

http://www.starzlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hulk-hogan-interview-20050701022156947.jpg

Jimi75
April 9th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Do nothing, NOTHING, because of YouTube comments. If you want to do it because you want to do it, go right ahead. Trolls can perch and twirl.

Marnold you are so right!
:AOK

Ro3b
April 9th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Go for it! If you shave your head and don't like it, hair does grow back. And everybody needs to feel the wind on their scalp at least once in their life. To say nothing of walking in the rain; that's a real kick.

I started shaving my head about six years ago. Never looked back.

Commodore 64
April 9th, 2010, 05:24 AM
My wife thinks bald guys are hot. Unfortunately for her, I don't seem to have that gene in my DNA.

Personally, I think you have to go one way or the other. Embrace the baldness, and cut it short, or try somethign to regrow hair. I hate fake boobs, I'd rather see small, saggy, or not equally shaped boobs than fake ones. I reckon most people in the real world feel the same about hair. If they don't, they should.

Screw hats, screw plugs, screw rogaine, screw spray paint. Just get an electric and throw a number 1 on there and cut it all off.

Tig
April 9th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Good one, syo! You've inspired me to look up my favorite YouTube guitar hair master, Jason Lee...
(nice Reverend, BTW)
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/92254bbf34298e63a.jpg

Robert, please stick with what you have!

mainestratman
April 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM
@Tig.. Oh great.. now I have to photoshop Robert's face into that picture...

Eric
April 9th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I find this to be difficult to answer. I have a good friend who had a pretty sizeable bald spot and medium-length hair. He eventually buzzed it and a while later added a beard. Now that's his look. However, I wasn't so sure any of the changes would be for the better. You just really don't know until you do it.

Basically, I'd say you should feel free to try anything, but don't do it because of the video comments. As somebody mentioned, the people who post those comments will probably just try to find something else to make fun of if you cut your hair.

Robert
April 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I went and bought an electric machine today! Wait and see what I will look like... :D :D

syo
April 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
@Tig.. Oh great.. now I have to photoshop Robert's face into that picture...

Alright, MSM you put Robert's face in the picture and I'll put dude's hair on Robert:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/93434bbf5833a3dff.jpg

:)

M29
April 9th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I wish I had as much hair as you do. Don't sweat the small stuff! :dude :rockon

bcdon
April 9th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I hate fake boobs, I'd rather see small, saggy, or not equally shaped boobs than fake ones.

That's some crazy talk there, C64!

Robert
April 9th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I'm going for a 25 mm hair cut. How does that sound?

This will be the "new" Robert - I will be like a whole new person! :D
Ya'll have to get to know me all over again... :thwap

mainestratman
April 9th, 2010, 02:20 PM
25mm? That's what? Like two and a half feet?

:poke

tjcurtin1
April 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Well, no hair is the solution to any bedbug problems you may have - "or so I have read" (to quote Spinal Tap):poke

Robert
April 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Haha, not everyone will get that joke, Ted! :D

M29
April 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Robert
I'm going for a 25 mm hair cut. How does that sound?

This will be the "new" Robert - I will be like a whole new person!
Ya'll have to get to know me all over again...

Nah them veins will give you away!! :yum

otaypanky
April 9th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Alright, MSM you put Robert's face in the picture and I'll put dude's hair on Robert:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/93434bbf5833a3dff.jpg

:)

I just wet my pants !

kiteman
April 9th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Put Nair on your hair! :)

Tig
April 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Well, no hair is the solution to any bedbug problems you may have - "or so I have read" (to quote Spinal Tap):poke

The bigger the cushion, the better the pushin' ...

I like the "chair fruit" reference as well! :rollover

Robert
April 12th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all the clever puns and photoshop work! I am honoured that some people take the time to do that just for me.... sniffles. Haha!

syo
April 12th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the clever puns and photoshop work! I am honoured that some people take the time to do that just for me.... sniffles. Haha!

Honoured?! That wasn't supposed to happen... :D

poodlesrule
April 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I vote for shaving, plus tattoo reading:

"House of Tone"

That ought to do it.

mainestratman
April 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
"House of Tone"

Awesome beyond words.

mainestratman
April 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM

You're easy to photoshop.. not much hair to work around. ;-)

:beer:

Tig
April 12th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Awesome beyond words.

Yep, it sure beats Rancid's Tim Armstrong web tattoo on his melon!
(a much better pic on page 45 of this month's Guitar Player magazine)
http://mtv.mtvnimages.com/news/photos/k/kroq_weenie_roast_2009/kroq_weenie_rancid_09.jpg