PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez Gio

mainestratman
April 8th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hey gang,

I'm looking to invest in a bass.. it might get played onstage, but this is mostly more for me and my g/f to toy around with.

I don't want to get something uber-cheap and have it sound and play like crap... and the choices at the local music shop are an Ibanez Gio (in beautiful red), with the P and J pickups and the bass boost feature.. the other is a Squier Jazz knockoff.

I really like the looks and finish of the Ibanez and I'm seeing it's got pretty good reviews most everywhere online. No, I haven't played them yet, but I will closer to purchase date...

Did I mention I *really* like the Ibanez? LOL

Comments?

Katastrophe
April 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Go for the Ibby! The bass player in a former band had one and it played and sounded great. However, Squier has upped their quality, too, and makes a fine product. For what you're buying it for, I don't think you would be underserved with either.

In my last band, where I played bass, the band bought me a bass to borrow for gigs, as I was light on cashola. It was a low end Yamaha, short scale, and it had a beautiful flame maple neck. The only issue was a tuner that wouldn't hold a tune for very long.

M29
April 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I picked up a SX Fender copy for 99 dollas and it is pretty nice. I will probably change the pots but overall it is pretty nice. Robert inspired me to get it, he has one like it.

NWBasser
April 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I tried one of those Ibby's out for a friend. The feel was quite nice with low action and no nasty rattles. Most cheap bass are a bit difficult play, but not this one. The tone was surprisingly crunchy - and I mean that in a good way. I;d describe the tone as aggressive. It played and sounded quite cool.

The downsides?

Well, the hardware was pretty cheap, resale will suck, and I don't think the construction quality would hold up to regular gigging for very long.

A perfect bass for beginners or for a quitarist that wants a bass around the house to noodle on. I think the skinny neck is an easy transition from guitar necks.

NWBasser
April 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I picked up a SX Fender copy for 99 dollas and it is pretty nice. I will probably change the pots but overall it is pretty nice. Robert inspired me to get it, he has one like it.

This option is good if want a larger bass with a vintage Fender-type tone. THe Ibanez will sound much more modern and hi-fi and will be smaller and lighter.

mainestratman
April 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Smaller, lighter, low action and skinny neck are all exactly what I need. My g/f will be doing most of the banging on it, honestly...

I'm on my second Ibanez electric/acoustic (nothing wrong with the first one.. was just old enough to not have an onboard tuner), and I'm finding that their quality for price have been solid... both acoustics/electrics are holding up to beating really well.

Thanks for including the downsides. I'm going to compare it to the only other choice I really have (the Squier), but what really grabbed me on the Ibbie is the finish.. absolutely beautiful.

Tig
April 9th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I'd have no problem buying another Ibanez bass. I miss my old one. It was a middle of the line 5-string with active pickups. The wide range of tones and easy to play neck, even for a 5 string, was what appealed to me the most.
Go for it!

mainestratman
April 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Took the plunge.. got my new baby resting comfortably in the living room. I picked up an Ibanez Soundwave bass amp as well.. 65 watts, which is MORE than enough to shake the windows.

Quite happy with it so far. The only thing I don't like about the bass are the knobs.. they are plastic and cheap-feeling... I'm going to replace them with tele knobs. :-)

Playability-wise, everyone's reviews have been dead on.. super low action, and a thin, fast neck. While I was trying it out at the music store, I actually got invited to audition for a local classic rock band... that should tell you how hard up this area is for bass players.. lol

NWBasser
April 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hey man, I'm glad you like the Ibanez!

Those are very cool basses.:AOK

Bass players in short supply out there?

Hmmm, maybe I outta move?:cool:

mainestratman
April 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Come on out, but I get dibs on ya. :-)

Right now the g/f is twirling around the living room with it on, cranking out the first 6 notes of the Brickhouse bassline and loving every second of it.

Me too cause she's inbetween work clothes and play clothes. ;-) LOL

NWBasser
April 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Whoah!

Your GF playing Brickhouse on bass?

In between outfits?

:dude :happy :happy :happy :dude :AOK

That's about the coolest thing I've heard of all year!

mainestratman
April 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah.. I'm still happy from that. :-)

Kazz
April 14th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Hey gang,

I'm looking to invest in a bass.. it might get played onstage, but this is mostly more for me and my g/f to toy around with.

cranking out the first 6 notes of the Brickhouse bassline and loving every second of it.

Me too cause she's in between work clothes and play clothes. ;-) LOL

John....this is a family board bro......he he

mainestratman
April 14th, 2010, 04:30 AM
John....this is a family board bro......he he

Which is why I didn't post the picture I took.. lol

Brian Krashpad
April 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Which is why I didn't post the picture I took.. lol

That's what PM's are for bro.

:AOK

mainestratman
April 20th, 2010, 01:53 PM
:bootyshake

Tig
April 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Speaking of Ibanez basses, check out the new Ashula SR2010 6-string. The top 4 are fretted, and the bottom 2 are fretless with their own pickup.

I'm not sure the guage and notes the fretless strings are, but they look like the same as the 2 higher strings next to them.

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/ProductMainZoom/test/SR2010ASC.jpg

scruff
April 26th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I know this thread is like a year old, but I gotta chime in anyway. I'm a devotee of the Ibanez basses, especially the Soundgear line. But, that said, I'm not rich so I generally go with the less pricy models. I picked this one up on Ebay for $81.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x228/scruffysmileyface/Music%20Stuff/IbanezGIOSoundgearbass-1.jpg

It's an excellent bass with a fast, easy-to-play neck, not much bigger at the nut than my Ibanez guitar. I'd thought the GIO line and the Soundgear line were two different things, but the headstock logo on this bass says "GIO" and "SOUNDGEAR":

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x228/scruffysmileyface/Music%20Stuff/IbanezGIOSoundgearbasshead.jpg

Anyway, I've been perfectly happy with this rig, run through my old beat-up Fender BXR-100. I like Fender and Squier basses, but I gotta say I like the Ibanez basses better. At least, so far.