PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pod and Garage Band

drstarsky
April 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hi all, new member here.

I'm thinking of buying a Line6 Pocket Pod and I have some newbie questions (I looked around but couldn't quite find the answer):

1. can I plug the output from the line out jack of my computer into the line in of the Pocket Pod, and listen mp3 backing tracks playing on the computer mixed in with my guitar?

2. I have a MacBook with a line in jack. Can I record straight from the Pocket Pod using Garage Band using the line in? (I read somewhere that one needs a jack to USB converter like the iMic)

3. If so, in Garage band can I record the guitar together with an mp3 backing track (for instance played with Quicktime)?

Thanks.

jasongins
April 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Given the three things you are trying to accomplish, all of which center around using it with your computer for backing tracks and recording, I would suggest looking at the line6 pod studio GX rather than the pocket pod.

Link: http://line6.com/podstudiogx/

It serves as a USB recording interface, and it has tons of amp models and effects (you manage them on the screen via software rather than with knobs on the device). I have the previous version, the Toneport GX and love it.

drstarsky
April 9th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Given the three things you are trying to accomplish, all of which center around using it with your computer for backing tracks and recording, I would suggest looking at the line6 pod studio GX rather than the pocket pod.

Link: http://line6.com/podstudiogx/

It serves as a USB recording interface, and it has tons of amp models and effects (you manage them on the screen via software rather than with knobs on the device). I have the previous version, the Toneport GX and love it.

Thanks, this looks interesting. Sometimes I just want to plug the guitar and play with headphones or a speaker, without turning the computer on. This is one thing I like about the Pocket Pad. The Pod Studio GX doesn´t have a display, does it mean that one has to use a computer to set/choose the tones or is there another way?

markb
April 9th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Importing an mp3 into Garageband is just a matter of opening a new project and dragging the file onto the workspace. It then appears as a track in GB ready for you to add your own bits.

drstarsky
April 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Importing an mp3 into Garageband is just a matter of opening a new project and dragging the file onto the workspace. It then appears as a track in GB ready for you to add your own bits.

Thanks. That was a dumb question. I figured it out just before reading your reply by thinking "let me try to drag this file and see what happens".

Ch0jin
April 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Doc, I have a Pocket Pod so lemme jump right in.

1. Yes. Although what I do personally is use my ipod because it makes the whole rig more portable.

2. I don't have a mac so I'm not 100%, but if as you say it has a line in, then yes, you should be able to record directly to garage band. I have done this with a laptop and audacity plenty of times.

3. That depends somewhat.

I run my ipod with backing tracks into the POD, then the POD into the laptop and use the headphone socket on the laptop. That way I can record both the BT and guitar as one track, nice and simple.

If you want to keep your BT and guitar as separate tracks so you can mess around with mixing though you'll need to find out if your mac+garageband supports simultaneous playback and record.

If so, then drop the backing tracks into garage and set them playing as you record over them.

markb
April 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks. That was a dumb question. I figured it out just before reading your reply by thinking "let me try to drag this file and see what happens".

On a Mac, drag and drop is always the right answer. If it's any consolation, it took me about half an hour to figure that one out too :thwap

drstarsky
April 9th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hi Doc, I have a Pocket Pod so lemme jump right in.

1. Yes. Although what I do personally is use my ipod because it makes the whole rig more portable.

2. I don't have a mac so I'm not 100%, but if as you say it has a line in, then yes, you should be able to record directly to garage band. I have done this with a laptop and audacity plenty of times.

3. That depends somewhat.

I run my ipod with backing tracks into the POD, then the POD into the laptop and use the headphone socket on the laptop. That way I can record both the BT and guitar as one track, nice and simple.

If you want to keep your BT and guitar as separate tracks so you can mess around with mixing though you'll need to find out if your mac+garageband supports simultaneous playback and record.

If so, then drop the backing tracks into garage and set them playing as you record over them.

Thanks, this is very helpful. Indeed simultaneous playback and record work. I just recorded a track with the software piano while playing a backing track, just what I needed. Now I just need to figure out which interface to buy.

Monkus
April 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Robert just bought the Apogee duet, I have the Presonus Firebox and I think that Otaypanky has his maudio mbox up for sale, if it hasnt been sold already. Options to consider.

SuperSwede
April 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM
3) just drop the mp3 on a empty garageband track and then add another track for your guitar. You can always add additional tracks and when your ready to spread the word about your latest and greatest recording you can choose the command "export to itunes" and boom theres your recording in MP3 or AAC format ! :)

You also have a lot of software amp models built into garageband if you prefer to just plug in the guitar to the mac.

I would recommend that you uncheck the automatic volume control since that does a lot of bad things with your playing dynamics.

Good luck! :)

drstarsky
April 11th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Robert just bought the Apogee duet, I have the Presonus Firebox and I think that Otaypanky has his maudio mbox up for sale, if it hasnt been sold already. Options to consider.

I've read great things about the Apogee duet, but unfortunately my late 2008 unibody MacBook has no firewire! For the same reason the Presonus Firebox is out too....

Jipes
April 12th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I use my POD 2.0 in my mBox audio interface and that works great, but I'm pretty sure straight in would also work fine.