PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cables...Is there really a difference?

Rabies
October 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM
What is everyone's take on cables? What kinds do you use? Is there really that much difference in the more expensive brands?

I can look at prices, specs, and reviews all day long...now I want to know what 'real' people think.:D

Robert
October 1st, 2006, 08:38 AM
Great post! I have been wondering this too. I have noticed that cheap cables often start to malfunction, while those I spent extra bucks on seems to hold up better.

I use George L's for the short patch cables between my pedals, but I don't like them. No matter how carefully I put them together, they eventually start to cut out or have problems connecting properly. I think soldering is necessary for plug and chord to get along!

Spudman
October 1st, 2006, 08:45 AM
There have been some intense independent tests done on cables. These tests were to determine what amount of signal got through the cable to the amp and what the resulting effects were on the sound quality of the instrument signal.

There are some brands that retain most of the complete signal and thus most of the fidelity. Other cables act as filters and effectively remove certain parts of the signal spectrum.

It comes down to personal preference really. Do you want to hear all the signal or do you like your signal shaped?

I fall into the shaped category. I use 30 to 40 feet of cable when I play out. With that much cable and the type of cable my high end has a slight roll off of the higher frequencies. It helps to keep the guitar from sounding too bright.

For recording and around the house I use shorter more transparent cables. First I don't want to be tripping on tons of cable, and second I can adjust instrument tones in the recording software if needed.

That is what I prefer from my cables. I'm sure other players have their own preferences. Really that is what it comes down to anyway.

Rabies
October 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Good morning Robert!! Didn't expect such a quick reply to this post this early in the morning...lol. I've wondered about the George L's kits for my patch cables. Just never took the plunge. I currently have some Mogami patch cables in between effects. Silver series I believe they are...the cheaper ones. They seem fine, no problems yet. I also have a few other Mogami cables, the silver series or whatever in 12 foot length that I am currently using. Also a monster cable that is 21 foot in length, and plan on getting some more. I use these mainly, but also have a variety of other cheaper cables and the like that I don't use that often. And I've never really A B'd any of them to see if there's any noticeable difference. Just wondered if anyone can give a true testimonial that there IS a difference in more expensive brands. And just to get a little feedback on the subject.

The way I've seen it for quite some time is: May as well just pony up some cash when I can for some good cables. I have replaced so many cheaper cables in my years of playing, I figure I may as well. Monster cables have a lifetime warranty. Why not?