PDA

View Full Version : Awwww, man! I'm in trouble (Marshall content)

Katastrophe
April 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
...with serious GAS that is. It's the Marshall JMD:1 range.

Marshall tone.

Modeleing flexibility.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=152

Kudos to Marshall for doing this. But... $1149 for the 50 watt combo???

Guess I'll go back to drooling over the 40 watt Haze combo for $699, or the 60 watt Peavey Vypyr tube combo for $449.

Jimi75
April 10th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Friend of mine went to the musical tradefair in Frankfurt last month. He said that the JMD is incredible. I also like what I hear in the demos, because it sounds Marshall, it sounds natural, it sounds versatile.

Duffy
April 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I played the Haze combo and head and didn't like the combo much but I liked the head. The price did not match the value of the amps though in my opinion and I'd rather have a Vox AC15 or Peavey Classic 30 or Hot Rod Deluxe. I'm not big on modelling amps. I have madelling pedals. I like the tube amps that have one or two channels and produce some super great sounds all alone, then adding pedals and models when I feel like it which is less than the majority of the time. A great guitar into a great straight up tube amp is a great thing, with minimal pedals. In my opinion of course.

Katastrophe
April 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I played the Haze combo and head and didn't like the combo much but I liked the head. The price did not match the value of the amps though in my opinion and I'd rather have a Vox AC15 or Peavey Classic 30 or Hot Rod Deluxe. I'm not big on modelling amps. I have madelling pedals. I like the tube amps that have one or two channels and produce some super great sounds all alone, then adding pedals and models when I feel like it which is less than the majority of the time. A great guitar into a great straight up tube amp is a great thing, with minimal pedals. In my opinion of course.

I hear ya, Duffy. After my Digitech fried I went to playing just guitar and amph. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and played that way exclusively for a couple of years.

But, I cut my teeth on a full rack set up. Aside from the complexity of getting it all together and all the presets tweaked, it was simple to use. Punch a button, and the whole character of the tone changed.

I've also found through experience that I can't multitask to the point where I'm kicking at a pedal or two with my feet while playing. I usually end up flubbing where I am in the song.

So, that brings me to modeling amphs, another rack setup, or a multi-fx or modeling floor unit that I can store presets on. I cant afford a rack, and they're just too durn bulky. When the time comes, I won't be able to afford the amph and a floor unit (unless I go the Line 6 M9 route, which is a possibility). So that leaves me with something relatively inexpensive, but with built in effects.

All that rambling said, I do appreciate and value your opinion on the Haze amphs, and the recommendation for the others. You've amassed an incredible amount of gear in a relatively short amount of time, and have a definite opinion. It is absolutely good to read. Thanks, brother!