PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Pedal Settings?

Tim
October 1st, 2006, 09:04 AM
Maybe I should not of asked this question in the other thread. Since I got no replies, I am starting a new thread. This is a serious question.

I have a question about the settings on the stomp boxes so note on the "Show Us Your Pedal Boards". thread. Do most of you keep the same settings on each pedal or do you change them for the each song(s)? I can see maybe changing them between sets, so I would guess you match the songs in a set to the settings on the pedals. Help please!

zeusse
October 1st, 2006, 06:14 PM
Here's my thought on this others will have their opinions on their likes and dislikes because tone is in the ear of the beholder. I'm one of those guys that is never satisfied with my tone and always strive for something better...who knows if I'll ever be happy. But on pedals you have to experiment to see what works the general theory but not a written law is guitar>wah or volume>compression>modulator(octaver or something similiar)>overdrive,distortion>noise gate>chorus,flanger,phaser>delay>reverb>amp

this is not a rule of thumb just usually the better way of getting tone but if you don't like the way something is you can always change the order to suit the tone you are looking for. As far as settings thats just something you have to work with and most times less is more especially on delay and reverb. Start with small increments and move up levels slowly. I don't use pedals much anymore just three and my Digitech GNX4 multi effects unit which does them all and takes up less space and does my amp modulations to get whatever tone I need...the rest comes from either of my two amps..hope this helps a bit mind you its just the way I do things:)

Spudman
October 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM
Tim

On a gig I rarely change from the initial pedal settings. What I do change is rates. Speed for instance of my flanger or Rotovibe pedals, or delay level (I can reach with my toe) and delay speed (tap tempo switch). All of these can be done on the fly because the knobs are within toe range. Obviously a chicken picken song wouldn't have a long delay so that gets changed to a short delay ala tap tempo then back to long for a Pink Floyd type song.

For the distortions I just set and go. They pretty much get left in one spot and controlled with the guitar volume (turn guitar volume knob to get cleaner).

Sometimes you just have to bend over and change something, but otherwise I try to set up for the upcoming set if I'm doing covers and following a set list. Otherwise I'll twiddle things as inspiration hits me. Most of the time I don't have to change things though.

Justaguyin_nc
October 2nd, 2006, 06:08 AM
Tim, over at http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=95 (sorry im stuck in Gilmour mode here lately.. who btw uses multiples of the same stompbox set different ways to just press his next setting up, mostly eq's.), a good article is available about doing basiclly what Spuds just said but with the addition of a MFX box.. Seems once you set your pedals to the basic sound you want, you just make up presets and allow your MFX patches change your delays and eq's..And turn off and on a pedal for what a given song needs. I knew there had to be a reason to have one of these durn MFX box laying around with all those stompboxes..

Tim
October 3rd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys for the information you provided. It is helping me understand all this electical guitar magic. But I am learning more each day.

Justaguy - I have been studying the Gilmour website you provided. I have learned much from all the reading there. Especailly on not spending a lot of money on expensive gear.