PDA

View Full Version : Want new LP in black or goldtop, suggesstions

Duffy
April 12th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Gave my son his hot rodded ebony black Epi LP Studio back today with the duncan pickups. Nice guitar, a few years old. Also gave him his MIJ Fender antique white J bass, Epi Goth Thunderbird bass, and Epi set neck LP bass with cases; along with his really cool bedroom vox T-20 I think it is, bass practice amp with the traditional grill cloth and a great little tone.

I pre requisited it, quite aggressively, upon him going over to his old band and getting at least his new SWR Workingpro 15 back from them. I almost had to give in because they are his guitars just in my keeping, but he agreed and went and got the SWR Workingpro 15. He let them continue to "use" his 80's really desirable Peavey TNT115 with the awesome black widow speaker, his Crate RFX65 guitar amp and his MicroKorg synthysizer. I purchased everything except the MicroKorg which he bought, so I was pushing it trying to get him to get anything back if he wanted to continue to let them "use" the stuff.

I'm really glad he got the SWR Workingpro 15. One of the guys from the band called me complaining about it because I have so many guitars, don't use them all, blah blah blah. Hey it's my s^^t dude, I'll do with it what I want. And the parents of several of your band members have a LOT of money: why should I, retired be supplying your band with equipment I bought for my son? Finally got him to realize that their parents are content to let someone not rolling in the dough to graciously provide the major sound reinforcement for their kids band and that they should get their kids a reasonably affordable PA system, but are too selfish and cheap and want their kids to buy their own stuff - but don't mind them taking advantage of my son and my money, indirectly.

I pushed the issue. Into territory I really didn't have too much footing; but I'm glad I did. Can I say that here? I'm glad I did!

Not to be a prick, but I did it and my son now has his SWR and loves it. Now he will be able to plug in to a strong amp with his arsenal of decent guitars and sound awesome, as he is very talented. He just didn't have the desire to pull the stuff away from his old band, that he still wants to support. Since he didn't have to pay relatively big money for the amps he doesn't really understand the value of them or have a vested interest. The 800 dollar SWR was the best item by far and I'm glad he has it. His muscian friend, both 19 jammed at my house with him today for quite a while before they went back to Pittsburg, and they hit the groove. It was great to see my son's face light up with renewed interest.

Some things we have to do are hard and might seem wrong at first and even after we have done them, but they are the right thing to do; know what I mean?

Glad I can share with you guys.

Now I am stuck with a dilemma: I had the "black" beauty LP for a long time, like two years and now want a new black LP.

I'm thinking of the Epiphone real "Black Beauty" with the three gold pickups. I suppose I would have to do some modifications to get the bridge and neck pickups to sound separately because I think the three way switch is for neck mid, all three, and bridge mid, combined. You can turn down the vol on the mid all the way and get a single neck and single bridge tone though I think, but do you lose signal strength and therefore gain and power to the amp?
Would installing mini toggles be a good idea, where you can have distinct pickup switching? Or is this a waste of time because no signal strength is gained and having more complicated switching would actually degrade the signal strength going to the output jack?

Another option would be this: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000prestblk.html the Rondo Agile AL3000 Black or this Agile AL3100 double bound black http://www.rondomusic.com/al-3100boundblk.html .

I also have been wanting to get this goldtop which I have played several time and like it a lot. It has Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II pickups and is ESP LTD's 2010 offering in the EC1000 line that has the SD pups instead of the EMG's: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ESP-EC1000-LIST click on the metallic gold dropdown . This LTD goldtop is a new offering, heavily bling reduced, and plays and sounds like a very very nice guitar thru a decent tube amp or even a new old stock VOX AD60VTX they have on sale for a pitance. The decent tube amp sounds better than the digital modeler though but the Vox is nice nonetheless.

So, I am having separation anxiety over the black LP that has been in my stable for a while and have the go ahead from my fiance to get another one or a gold top. Plus I want to soon get the new Squire tele custom before too long.

Any of you guys have any substantial experience with the Epiphone "Black Beauty" with the three pickups and care to share some relative insight?

How about the black Agiles? I'm sure that a lot of you guys like them and think they are worth the saving I would realize. How are the pups in the 3000 abd 3100 AL LP copies?

And lastly, the beautiful LTD goldtop with the SD alnico II pro pups? Any fondness there?

I even recently played a new Schecter Black LP Hellraiser type with SD pickups that sounded good and even a Black Schecter with some EMG's with a different colored EMG stamped on them, that sounded super good; both around six or seven hundred. Great guitars but I am not fond of the headstock V shape kind of like some of the Deans.

I can also pick up a great NOS Ibanez goldtop SZ320 with twin humbuckers that plays and sounds great. I don't know what the humbuckers are and now tha harmony-central is history I guess I won't be easily finding out. I can't find it in the Ibanez catalogs. It is a superstrat type with a heavy mahogany body, a beautiful goldtop. The place wants 300 for it brand new, mint condition as you would expect; and they have a NOS goldtop Ibanez AR200 that isn't a bad double cutaway LP type guitar either, with a stop bar bridge, Ibanez nice style. The SZ320 has the string thru tailpiece alternative.

I know, a lot of questions and subjective opinion stuff here. Well, a lot of you guys are good at subjective opinions so any subjective opinions will be greatly appreciated as I sift thru my narrowed candidates. I figure I can spend more if I'm going to be more satisfied but don't think a black Gibson Studio would be any more satisfying than one of the above, unless I'm really wrong on this. Even Zman sold his Fireburst Gibson studio didn't he, or was that someone else?

Subjective observations and ideas are greatly appreciated and I really hope I get some great feedback from some of you knowledgeable guys.

Thanks for being here and reading about my quandrum, trials and tribulations.

mainestratman
April 12th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I personally dislike "painted" guitars.. there's something about showing off the inherent beauty of the wood with more "transparent" finishes.

However, I'd probably opt for the Black Beauty..

Very glad you had your son get some of his equipment back. I can't even begin to imagine how many thousands of $$$ I've left with old bands. Sickening, really.

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I bought an ebony Agile AL-3000 within the past month and I LOVE it. I got the model with the wide-profile neck. Amazing value, IMO. See thread link below. The only weak point on the entire guitar is the neck pickup, which is a bit muddy to my ear. But at $380, throwing a new pickup in the neck position is pretty painless!

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14727

FrankenFretter
April 12th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I'm with DVM on this one. The Agile AL3000 that I bought recently is great; it has a pretty similar feel to my Epi Tribute. Not identical, but similar. The stock pickups aren't horrible either, but I do have replacements ready to drop in as soon as I get some free time. Agile is definitely one of the best bang-for-your-buck deals out there, and is a quality instrument.

marnold
April 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Here's a really subjective and mostly pointless post: I love the looks of a black guitar, especially a black beauty or a Superstrat with a maple neck, but the ability of a black finish to show fingerprints would drive me mad.

MAXIFUNK
April 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
IF IT WAS ME I WOULD HAVE MADE HIM GET ALL OF HIS GEAR BACK!
SOMETIMES BEING AN AHOLE IS REQUIRED!!!!

How about this

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ART300-Artist-Electric-Guitar?sku=518065

or

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-Ultra-Swede-Electric-Guitar?sku=515709

or

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=517030

or this top dollar guitar I have been drooling over for about 8 months now

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=581715

sumitomo
April 12th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Why not get both of them,then they won't lonely.Sumi:D

ZMAN
April 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I would go with the Epi Custom in Black. I know it isn't one of your choices, but over the 3 pickup it would go with the Custom. A sweet guitar and they feel and sound excellent. I had one a while back made in Korea. Another option would be an Elitist Custom. If you can find them on Ebay they are an excellent choice.
BUT....... If I were you I would hold out. Don't buy several guitars. I would wait and buy a really good Gibson Goldtop. They are a classic and you will not be disappointed. I love my Gibbies and even though I could buy 4 or 5 Agiles for the same price, I would still take the Gibby.

MAXIFUNK
April 12th, 2010, 05:56 PM
BUT....... If I were you I would hold out. Don't buy several guitars. I would wait and buy a really good Gibson Goldtop. They are a classic and you will not be disappointed. I love my Gibbies and even though I could buy 4 or 5 Agiles for the same price, I would still take the Gibby.

+1 on a nice Gibby!

Katastrophe
April 12th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Objectively speaking (or typing, as it were), having played on the LTD EC and the Epiphone Black Beauty, I would say to go for the LTD over the two.

The LTD has bigger/taller frets, higher quality pickups, and they are well built. I liked the shaped of the LTD neck over the Epi. The third pickup (middle pup) on the Epi was a serious hindrance to picking, and would be an obstacle to overcome.

HOWEVER, I would also seriously take a look at the Agiles, especially one with the wide neck. For half the price of the LTD you can get a beautiful guitar, with real MOP or abalone inlays, solid bodies, and ebony fretboards. Kurt even has "Pro" models available from time to time with Seymour Duncan or EMG pups. With a generous return policy, you really can't lose. Even the upgraded models are typically $150 - $200 less than the LTD.

Also, I would go and get ALL of your gear back from your son's old band. If they feel entitled to use your stuff, why wouldn't they feel entitled to keep it?

Kazz
April 13th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Also, I would go and get ALL of your gear back from your son's old band. If they feel entitled to use your stuff, why wouldn't they feel entitled to keep it?

I am with Kat here....go get the rest of your and your son's stuff. If he is no longer in that band he is not there to be the gatekeeper and make sure the equipment is being properly taken care of.

My vote would be the ART300 that MaxiFunk posted....or even the Satin Black with Chrome Gibson Les Paul Studio priced at $799

Duff
April 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I am working on getting back more of his equipment, expecially his guitar amp and the Peavey bass amp, but he seems to want them to have the stuff, wants to support them.

Problem is I think someone's sister is using the Crate RFX65 and the Peavey is being used as a "PA". Can you believe that? A bass amp as a "PA". This is a screamo band we are talking about. These guys and their parents are so cheap that they never add to their equipment or upgrade amps or things unless they get the stuff free. Sorrily, their parents in most cases have BIG money and are so cheap that they won't buy the kids anything, and want them to work for everything.

Maybe if my son worked for his stuff he wouldn't have left it there, but it is still no excuse.

I say help your kids out while you can, because the day will come when you wish you could and you can't anymore. They will have plenty of time to buy their own stuff when we are no longer able. Help out is what I mean, not completely support them, but encourage and place a few key items in their path for them that you know they can't afford.

Still up in the air on the guitar. Still want a black or gold one. The Black Beauty could cause picking problems with that pickups in the way, I can see that, a Custom is about one hundred less in black. Always switch out the pickups for some great ones. Can't avoid considering the Agile's either, and that LTD gold top EC1000 new release is definitely an awesome guitar. I have played it a few times. Great neck and SD alnico II pro pickups, nickel covered. It is different looking than an LP though, moreso than the Agile which is a close vibe to the LP design. The LTD is way lighter than my Epi LPs though. But I like a heavy guitar, especially in an LP.

I'm playing my light Squire tele the last couple nights. Very satisfying guitar in all respects.

Thanks for the advice.

Katastrophe
April 13th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Brother, if I were you, I would make the band responsible for the equipment for the mean time, and have them agree to pay for repair and / or damage, up to and including full market value for the equipment until it is returned. And I would include a date for return on that equipment. In writing, with all of the band members involved.

If someone in the old band gets in a pinch and runs off with your stuff, and your son's stuff, it becomes a civil issue. A written contract will give you more power should you decide to go to court for damage, or if it comes up missing.

I've seen enough dustups in my time over current and former band members in different bands where band owned equipment became a problem. I sure can't imagine what you would have to go through in a band where a third party has your stuff and won't return it.

Good luck!

syo
April 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
How about these for under a grand. Long tenon, Seymour Duncan US pups. Personally I like the JS model (click picture button).
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-92CD.html

And here with some EMG 81s:
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-112CE.html

Here's a goldtop (click btn to see gold)
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-92SD.html

Made in Japan and as good or better than the real deal.

Blaze
April 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
How about these for under a grand. Long tenon, Seymour Duncan US pups. Personally I like the JS model (click picture button).

Looks Cool Syo..

How about Japanese Tokai , i heard they re not what they use to be ..

mrmudcat
April 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Gibson has a new goldie 57 reissue...........

Have you checked out a carvin ...best bang for your money!!

Ch0jin
April 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Here's a really subjective and mostly pointless post: I love the looks of a black guitar, especially a black beauty or a Superstrat with a maple neck, but the ability of a black finish to show fingerprints would drive me mad.

Well, as a MBGO (multiple black guitar owner), my experience has been that the mess of fingerprints and pick dust and other assorted crud that becomes super obvious on a black guitar only bothered me for a very short time. These days I play them too often to keep 'em clean.

@mainstratman Funny you should say that 'cause when I ordered my Maton in black, the guy in the store was all "No way!, they have awesome wood and the burst finishes are awesome" Looking across the room at it though, I'm sure I made the right choice. Fingerprints and all.

@ZMAN @Maxifunk I concur

@Duff Is grabbing a Gibson out of the question?

DeanEVO_Dude
April 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM
As a lover of see-thru finishes (first Dean was a Special Select - Tiger Eye, current one is Exotic Burl), I must admit that the gold top is still an appealing finish...

Were it my choice, I would go with the Epi Les Paul '56 Reissue (or the '57 Reissue if it has to be humbucker equiped). The bigest problem with these (for me) is the price. Beautiful guitars anyway.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Duff
April 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I would go with a Gibson studio or other not too expensive one like an SG but I am averse to the chambered bodies for some reason.

Maybe even a used solid body, non chambered Gibson LP Std.

syo
April 14th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Looks Cool Syo..

How about Japanese Tokai , i heard they re not what they use to be ..

Yeah, Tokai's heydey was quite a few years ago. I toured one of the factories in China that makes Tokai guitars when I was looking for a maker for my guitars. I wasn't too impressed. They do, I believe, still make some higher end models at their Hamamatsu, Japan factory but I've not heard too much positive about them.

Edwards, on the other hand, are really the best deal around (imho). The more I learn about making guitars, the more amazed I am at how well made they are. Especially for such a relatively inexpensive guitar.

MAXIFUNK
April 14th, 2010, 01:05 AM

I like the 60's neck are they made to 50's or 60's style necks?

Kazz
April 14th, 2010, 04:27 AM
PRICE 96,600yen (Include Tax)

Dude that is alot of yen LMAO Over 1000....might as well buy a LP Studio.

syo
April 14th, 2010, 06:18 AM
PRICE 96,600yen (Include Tax)

Dude that is alot of yen LMAO Over 1000....might as well buy a LP Studio.

Naw Kazz, that's the list price. An online shop over here that has generally really good prices is selling it for 70,500 yen (USD $757). You could wait for the exchange rate to swing in your favor and save even more, but $750 is a steal believe me.
The shop is here:
http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/shop/ProductDetail.asp?Item=302%5EELP85CDJS%5E%5E

Not sure if they ship worldwide but there are a few companies who do for around $100 or so.

I like the 60's neck are they made to 50's or 60's style necks?

Not sure about that. I've not played on one myself although I do own an Edwards 335 clone and I've played around on an Edward SG copy. Both excellent guitars in every respect.

ZMAN
April 14th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I would go with a Gibson studio or other not too expensive one like an SG but I am averse to the chambered bodies for some reason.

Maybe even a used solid body, non chambered Gibson LP Std.

Hey Duff: I have owned two of the chambered body Gibsons, and they changed my mind about the chambering. I have a 96 Standard that is weight relieved (but not much weight was relieved), and it is quite heavy. My Studio, and my Classic are both weight relieved, and they are almost a perfect weight. I traded the Studio, only because the guy wanted it and I really got a great trade for the DSL100. I would definitely buy another chambered Gibson. Tone wise I really don't see much difference when you put them through some pedals and a high gain Marshall.
I would be looking for a good deal on a Gold top Classic, or traditional. There are still a lot of "motivated sellers" out there, and some great deals.

Duffy
April 14th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Today I saw a decent Epi '04 gold top fifty six copy at a store used. The gold seemed to have a green tint to it.

It was P nineties and the bridge was screwed all the way up from the body, to the max and the action was real low on the fretboard. Something seemed wrong with this picture. The bridge P ninety was jacked up all the way up out of the body about a half inch or more. For some reason the bridge had to be cranked WAY up.

The neck sighted down nice and true, almost flat and straight. Could it be the whole neck is back bowed? Or are the P nineties all like that with the jacked up bridges and bridge pup cranked way up out of the body at least a half inch?

Otherwise it looked to be in really good shape with minor pick marks. I didn't play it but could tomorrow.

They are asking over three hundred, maybe three fifty. Seems expensive for what it is and the greenish tint doesn't really do anything for me, nor do the amber vol and tone knobs. I would replace the knobs with gold ones.

I'm not looking for a P ninety gold top but I thought I would mention it in case anyone thought it was a better deal than I suspect it is and what about the green tint? Also, what about the bridge screwed all the way up like a half inch or more of threads showing and still having very low action at the base of the fretboard? Is something up with this?

I have two real good P ninety guitars now: a Vintage Modified Squier Custom II telecaster in black, noise cancelling in mid position; and an SX GG1 I think it is, solid mahogany flat top body copy of a Gibson LP Special, with a set mahogany neck and two SX stock P nineties, not noise cancelling in the mid position but quiet enough. Probably would be a mind blower with some Seymour Duncan P nineties or some other great ones - but it sounds good now; way different than the Squier P ninety with the maple neck and fretboard and the different body wood. It is deeper sounding than the Squier but still screams or chimes. That's what's so cool about P nineties, they roar and sing.

Ideas appreciated.

ZMAN
April 15th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Duff: Everybody does their gold differently. Take a look at the Les Paul forum. They have a lot of pictures of really old Gibson Goldtops. What you will see is that they all seem to go towards the green a bit. I think Epi was trying to capture that. As far as the pickups being way up, they don't have pickups rings so maybe they just looked too high. If you could get her for 300 and put a set of BBs or 57s in her and an RS guitar works kit. You will have a nice goltop for around 500. Might be a plan. It is probably the next best thing to a Gibby. Or even a set of mini hums in there.

wingsdad
April 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM
If you like a Gibson slim-taper type neck feel, if you can, give a look at Washburn's Idol Series. The import models can be had new for 6 Benjamins or so or less, used for 3 to 4 or so. The top of the line USA models, new, are in the Grand to Grand Point 5 or so range.

Check out Tio Kimo's thread on 'Idol Worship': http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14750

I'll summarize my experience with them here:

I recently acquired the black WI66PRO, stock with about $250 worth of USA Seymour Duncan buckers onboard ('59 Neck, Custom Custom Bridge), and I had, but sold to a good friend a WI66PROG (G got Goldtop), with stacked P-90 type pups (noise cancelling with a dummy coil):

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Washburn%20WI66PRO/WI66PRO_crop_2111.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Washburn%20WI66PRO-G/IMG_2349.jpg

Duff
April 15th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Place by me has a gold top Washburn with P nineties, forget how much, new old stock, probably make a deal.

Another place has a really nice NOS Ibanez SZ320 gold top with the supposedly SD/Ibanez IBZ pickups and it is really beautiful and feels and plays great; splits the coils of the two humbuckers in the middle switch position, supposedly sounds like a tele neck humbucker and a more traditional bridge mahogany body sound. The middle position that splits the two humbuckers is supposed to sound very acoustic. A lot of people switch out the pups to SD's. I know I can get this one for a really good price, less than three bills. Also have an AR 200 Ibanez gold top, heavy double cut LP style with stop tail bridge but the tone doesn't seem as nice as the SZ, different pickups. They also have a SZ520 Ibanez natural flame top that should be obtainable at a great price because they price match and I saw them on sale marked way down.

Tig
April 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
When it comes to gold tops, I'm a huge fan of mid 50's and R-6 reissues (Lollar upgrade, please) with P-90's. Talk about the ultimate P-90 guitar!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/IntenseJim/Jim%20guitar%20bass%20amps/Goldtops%2071%20and%20R4/GtsfromLcloseup.jpg

1AUsj84HfhI

Duff
April 16th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Got the gold top today.

Decided to make a wise purchase, in my opinion, and picked the NOS Ibanez SZ320 gold top with the Ibanez/Duncan pickups. Played it today thru a SuperSonic, right after playing a new, marked down flammed maple natural top SZR520 thru it. The SZ320 was heavier and sounded way better to me; supposedly the Ibanez/Duncan pickups are better sounding in general than the new Ibanez ones on the SZR520.

The gold on the Ibanez is rich golden metallic with no hint of green. Natural wood binding on the body, good tuners- very smooth, excellent feel and playability. The 520 had a good feel, was lighter, and had good playability, but the pickups didn't sound as full, especially in the middle position, which is supposed to split the coils and give an acoustic sound - but not convincing to me. The 320 in the middle position is also supposed to give an acoustic sound I think, but it sounds a lot more full and less like split coils.

On the SZ320 the treble and rhythm positions on the switch sound very full and satisfying, if not a bit les paulish; full, deep, resonant lows and chiming highs.

I think this was a great buy at 250 US out the door, brand new, without sacrificing a lot in other regards. The LTD gold top is nice but close to 800 and the pickups don't sound significantly better.

I have found that Ibanez makes some very nice guitars; earlier I had skipped over them thinking that they were mainly heavy metal material and not made that well. Live and learn.

I will post some pictures soon.

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Heavy%20w%20guitars%2001-08-2010/SZ320GD.jpg

This picture is from a web site and does not really show how beautiful the guitar is or how stunning the gold top is, but it gives you an idea if you don't know what the discontinued SZ model Ibanez looks like; this is an SZ320 NOS, new old stock, meaning brand new but never sold if you are new to the term NOS. The SZ line has been replaced with the SZR line, which is also a nice guitar.

The bridge on this guitar is beautiful: it is smooth and doesn't dig into your palm when muting or resting your hand on the bridge. This guitar also hits the amp nice and hard with good strong passive pickups, so you can get that heavy full tone that is so pleasant to some of us.

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Heavy%20w%20guitars%2001-08-2010/SZ320GD.jpg

Blaze
April 16th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I ve been lookin at these Orville for a while now, this is a 90's Japan made here not a Gibson .

Anyone here knows about them ?

http://jp-guitars.com/10-04-10/I-02.jpg

http://jp-guitars.com/10-04-10/I-010.jpg