PDA

View Full Version : Wah wars: Crybaby vs. Hendrix sig version

kidsmoke
April 12th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Howdy gents. My decent into pedal oblivion continues. I'm on a mission to relieve all area guitarists of there unwanted pedals (and boards in some intsances) via CL. :messedup:

Anybody know these pedals? Specifically.....

a) is there an appreciable difference in the two, they are both Dunlop Crybaby's

b) will they operate on a standard Boss power chain?

Thanks in advance!

Spudman
April 12th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I have a JH wah that happens to be for sale. I don't use it since getting the Digitech EX7 which has wahs in it.

The JH has a longer and deeper sweep than the regular Crybaby. It gets way down into some really deep throaty tones and sweeps back almost as high on the top end as the regular Crybaby. The JH is basically the Crybaby with a longer deeper sweep which is often what you'll be wishing for with the regular Crybaby. It also has a 9 volt power jack.

kidsmoke
April 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback Spudman.

I have a digi unit,(read here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14764&page=2)) which started me down this path. Been unable to get the volume pedal to work the wah....open to suggestions there as well. That would be the cheaper option, obviously.

Jimi75
April 13th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Which Hendrix pedal are you talking abtou exactly? There is two of 'em. The initial Hendrix Sig that you could bought from the beginning of the 90's on and the newer one with the chrome bottom that has been released abtou 2 years ago. Both are excellent pedals, especially the chrome one. The older one is decent, too, but a little too darkish for funky stuff. The crybaby is a classic, you can practically not go wrong with it (although I'd prefer the chrome Hendrix over it), but in my opinion the standard VOX Wah is the best in that price category - maybe you want to consider that, too.

It has the best controllable sweep, sounds more vocal than the Dunlops and it doesn't colour the sound as intensive as the other two candidates.

kidsmoke
April 19th, 2010, 09:28 AM
This is the later version with the chrome that I was looking at.
I was able to get my expression pedal function to operate on my Digitech unit, so I'm ok for now. It'll get me past my performance this week.

I messed with my buddys standard crybaby, and It's definately preferable to the digi unit, so I think I'll be looking again before long.

Thanks for the feedback.

anyone familiar with old Morley combo units?