PDA

View Full Version : Hard work & playing

deeaa
April 12th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I wonder if anyone here works hard with hands and still plays guitar?

I just spent four hours putting new dog bonez, you know, vertical supports in car's suspension, and new handbrake zhoes...was hard, I hadn't done either before so I had to kind of figure out how they work first...plus the brake discs were on so tight I had to heat them up with torch...anyway, lotsa twisting, banging and some bruises as result...and...

I can't play any guitar for a while. So...if u work something like that for living, how can u play? I guess its easier with a car lift and pneumatic tools, but still...is it in any way possible to retain dexterity and feel if you work hard with hands?

Commodore 64
April 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Fishing season is coming up, (first trip this coming weekend), and my hands tend to get really torn up. This will be the first summer I've played guitar, so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Spudman
April 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM
It's inflammation that is your biggest foe when doing lots of work with your hands. Either Ibuprophen or Reliv Arthaffect work great to get rid of swelling.

I've been a mechanic most of my life and I really like the strength that my hands have but they get so tight from swelling that they don't move very fast or easily unless I take an anti inflammatory. Arthaffect is what I use most.

M29
April 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Ah using the ole smoke wrench eh. I used to do a great deal of mechanical work and my body feels like it too. Shoot I just bent my first finger nail way back last weekend working on the darn lawnmower and I could not touch a thing for a few days especially the guitar. I know what you mean:thwap

kiteman
April 12th, 2010, 05:02 PM
It's inflammation that is your biggest foe when doing lots of work with your hands. Either Ibuprophen or Reliv Arthaffect work great to get rid of swelling.

I've been a mechanic most of my life and I really like the strength that my hands have but they get so tight from swelling that they don't move very fast of easily unless I take an anti inflammatory. Arthaffect is what I use most.

Ditto. Try playing guitar after operating a lawnmower. :)

oldguy
April 12th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I use a 3 pound hammer to drive wooden stakes in the ground and mark grade on them at work. We've been working 10-12 hours per day, 6-7 days a week since Jan. 18th. It hurts. I take aspirin. Between the work and creeping arthritis, (it's called degenerative, actually), I have to fight the urge to not play when I want to sometimes. Playing helps, though, if I acclimate myself to it. Whether it's physical, mental, or emotional, I cant' say, but it's therapy.

mainestratman
April 12th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Just a quick safety tip for my fellow aging players.. Ibuprofin and Tylenol are both great.. but.. Don't be taking a bunch of either every day.. it will lead to irreparable liver and kidney damage.

Good old fashioned ice will work wonders on inflammation. :-)

Katastrophe
April 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
It's difficult to play with busted hands. Only thing to fix it is time. When working on a car, I would use mechanic's gloves. They'll provide some protection from little bumps and nicks.

For chronic inflammation and pain, look into "The Anti-Inflammatory Diet". It's a super easy diet.