PDA

View Full Version : A bassplayer's favorite guitarists

NWBasser
April 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Seems a bit of an odd topic, but as a bass player (primarily) I'd like to recognize some of the guitarists that I think (only an opinion here) show an appreciation for their low-end bretheren and/or musically relate well with the bass guitarist. Without further ado, here are several of my choices (in no particular order):

1. Alex Lifeson - he and Geddy Lee have been best friends nearly forever and it really shows in their playing. They write together and the bass/guitar interplay in their songs is astounding to hear. I can't imagine any bass player who wouldn't love to jam with Alex!

2. Jeff Beck - I love listening to his playing and he definitely has a great ear for choosing awesome bass players to work with including Tal Wilkenfeld and Tim Bogert. Furthermore, a lot of his work really showcases the bass and is always a nice treat for bass players to hear.

3. Warren Haynes (sp?) - You can bet that you'll find tasty bass lines on any Gov't Mule album and Warren plays sparse rhythm parts that allow the bass a lot of freedom to move the music along. The guy certainly shows a lot of trust in his bassist.

4. Derek Trucks - He has some pretty wicked bass playing on his albums and the interplay between his guitar work and the bass is sweet to hear.

5. Steve Howe - Listening to him and Chris Squire together is the definition of tightness. It sounds like they're in each other's heads!

6. Rory Gallagher - Just watch the video of him and Jack Bruce together on "Politician". :dude

Well, I'm sure I'll think of others and hopefully all of you have some suggestions of more great guitar/bass combos.

bcdon
April 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hey, great list! Alex Lifeson is the only guitarist on the list that I've listened to a lot. Alex is rather interesting in that he is a great guitarist but seems to get overshadowed by Geddy Lee (and Neil Peart, of course). I'll have to check out the other guitarist/bassist combos you mentioned. Thanks!

bcdon
April 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM
BTW, here is a couple funny videos of The Trailer Parks boys sneaking in to meet Alex Lifeson (and kidnapping him too).

dATrx9dQsXc

W7Kzp9vDNCo

mrmudcat
April 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Duane and Dickey.......with Barry.....FTW....just saying...........

Warren and Derek as you mentioned are great!

NWBasser
April 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hey, great list! Alex Lifeson is the only guitarist on the list that I've listened to a lot. Alex is rather interesting in that he is a great guitarist but seems to get overshadowed by Geddy Lee (and Neil Peart, of course). I'll have to check out the other guitarist/bassist combos you mentioned. Thanks!

I think Alex only gets overshadowed because there are about a quadzillion great guitarists in rock, but only a relative handful truly great bass players and drummers.

In all the interviews I've seen of them, I get the impression that Alex is a damn funny guy too.

bigG
April 13th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Way back in my old dinosaur days of gigging/recording, it was Pete Townshend and John Entwistle for me, hands down! :applause :AOK :dude :french

wingsdad
April 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Lots of good collabs here...I'll go +1 on the ABB & Who guys...:AOK

And add:

Steve Cropper w/ Duck Dunn of Booker T & the MG's, the Memphis Stax/Volt rhythm section, the BarKays, Blues Brothers...

Skynyrd's Leon Wilkerson w/ Allen Collins, Gary Rossington & Steve Gaines...but it's hard to say: did they play off Leon, or vice versa?

mrmudcat
April 13th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Lots of good collabs here...I'll go +1 on the ABB & Who guys...:AOK

And add:

Steve Cropper w/ Duck Dunn of Booker T & the MG's, the Memphis Stax/Volt rhythm section, the BarKays, Blues Brothers...

Skynyrd's Leon Wilkerson w/ Allen Collins, Gary Rossington & Steve Gaines...but it's hard to say: did they play off Leon, or vice versa?

Both:cool: it was whoever nodded/gave the look:socool to whoever first:AOK

wingsdad
April 14th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Both:cool: it was whoever nodded/gave the look:socool to whoever first:AOK
:dude I just never get tired of listening to how that bunch played as tight as any orchestra.

marnold
April 14th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan playing off each other on the better (read: non-radio-friendly) Mr. Big stuff is pretty cool. Of course, there's the Brothers Johnson.

NWBasser
April 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joe Pass and NHOP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-1sq5dFD4

Eniza
August 20th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Agile guitars info
http://www.agileguitars.org

R_of_G
August 21st, 2012, 07:40 AM

Good call there. In the same vein, I'd put in Leo Nocentelli (guitar) with George Porter Jr. (bass) from their work with The Meters, as well as the dozens if not hundreds of sessions the Meters played backing other artists.

NWBasser
August 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Wow.

The zombie thread rises!

What's with the Agile guitars link?

Alex2100
October 12th, 2012, 01:12 AM
My most favorite guitar is electric guitar and i like to play this guitar because this is as like a energy and create energy in your body and all the listeners of your guitar this is a rock music guitar and i also like to the rock music so this is why electric guitar is my favorite guitar....